Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

cooperguy wrote: »
    What you are advocating is the exact opposite of what an economist would say to do. In times of recession heavy government investment in infrastructure is one of the things that pulls the country out of the slump (as well as prepares the place for when it is up and running again).

Galway ring road will not only be put on the back burner .....
    It won't even be in the kitchen .
    The economic fallout from coranavirus will be felt for a decade or more .
    A €600 million road project in the west of Ireland will not get the backing of a Dublin government while the country goes into a recession .

Galway ring road will not only be put on the back burner .....
    It won't even be in the kitchen .
    The economic fallout from coranavirus will be felt for a decade or more .
    A €600 million road project in the west of Ireland will not get the backing of a Dublin government while the country goes into a recession .

Building major infrastructure projects is exactly what you are supposed to do during a recession

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Building major infrastructure projects is exactly what you are supposed to do during a recession

Supposed to do and what will be done is two totally different things .
    Do you honestly think €600 million road project in the west of Ireland will get the go ahead ???.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Wasn't that money agreed and ringfenced for the ring road.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wasn't that money agreed and ringfenced for the ring road.

No. Only for planning it, not building it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Emmaa18 wrote: »
    my hot photos are here ---> chatie.club
    only 18+

Are they photos of other ring roads..??

The taps will be opened and the rules eased in terms of state investment once this is all over (covid). If this can get through planning, then it's 100% going to be built

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Supposed to do and what will be done is two totally different things .
    Do you honestly think €600 million road project in the west of Ireland will get the go ahead ???.

I do actually. I think lessons were learnt (the last time around) about just how important investment is during times of recession. There will also be major money released from EU investment bank etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

cooperguy wrote: »
    I do actually. I think lessons were learnt (the last time around) about just how important investment is during times of recession. There will also be major money released from EU investment bank etc.

On that point. When was the last time the University hasn't had some sort of construction going on?

They managed to keep major products rolling through the bad times. The hospital on the other hand...years trying to get a parking garage and renting office space above the shops across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Who would have thought at the start of the year, that the problem would be solved by March?

Poor auld Andrew must be cycling round in circles somewhere.

/thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wombatman wrote: »
    Who would have thought at the start of the year, that the problem would be solved by March?

Poor auld Andrew must be cycling round in circles somewhere.

/thread?

Yes because in the midst of a national lockdown is a great time to count traffic figures.

How you came to the conclusion that traffic problems are solved is baffling, absurd and quite frankly only points towards borderline trolling.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yes because in the midst of a national lockdown is a great time to count traffic figures.

How you came to the conclusion that traffic problems are solved is baffling, absurd and quite frankly only points towards borderline trolling.

Once things open up again, I predict the problem will be worse.

I've heard from several people who have purchased cars, because they are too scared to catch the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've heard from several people who have purchased cars, because they are too scared to catch the bus.

That's also a bit absurd, I've not heard that whatsoever and can't imagine many just have the money to purchase a car and insure it.

Perhaps some may work from home in the future, perhaps the problems will get worse.

We don't actually know, and anyone stating that they do (Not you Mrs OBumble) is lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That's also a bit absurd, I've not heard that whatsoever and can't imagine many just have the money to purchase a car and insure it.

Perhaps some may work from home in the future, perhaps the problems will get worse.

We don't actually know, and anyone stating that they do (Not you Mrs OBumble) is lying.

I know a few people too who bought cars recently and no longer use the bus and don't believe they'll sell when it's safe to use public transport again. Not that hard to believe.

Public transport is undoubtably a high risk place for catching it either by proximity or from surfaces.

Not saying this as a dig a public transport btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Public transport is undoubtably a high risk place for catching it either by proximity or from surfaces.

And planes. Goodbye tourism.

Not saying this as a dig a public transport btw.

I ended up doing work for an essential industry for the last two weeks - using public transport.

I've usually been the only person on the bus and my butt on a seat and elbow on the request button were the only surface contacts.

But it would be different if more people were using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Wompa1 wrote: »

Add Cruise Ships to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Wompa1 wrote: »

Irish hotels can try to win the Irish market back after this is over. Was reading a bit about Tenerife lately. When this is over their main aim will be the Spanish mainland.
    Add Cruise Ships to that list.

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have you noticed how much less traffic there is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,237 ✭✭✭✭zell12

biko wrote: »
    Have you noticed how much less traffic there is?
    Positive effect of the pandemic
    clearer air, animals noticed more, streetscapes appreciated without incessant vehicles, more humans walking.

Can we have this all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

zell12 wrote: »
    clearer air, animals noticed more, streetscapes appreciated without incessant vehicles, more humans walking.

More humans walking where are they place is deserted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Knocknacarra and presumably other residential areas. Footpaths are very busy, especially since the 2km rule came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

joeysoap wrote: »
    Irish hotels can try to win the Irish market back after this is over. Was reading a bit about Tenerife lately. When this is over their main aim will be the Spanish mainland.

For the craic, checked hotels.com for July 17 in Galway (Happens to be Arts Festival).

Bog standard hotels (Jurys / Skeff / Eyre Sq) between €150 - €210 PER NIGHT.

Good luck... Irish Hospitality is going to have to adjust prices to suit Irish budgets if they want to get the 'staycation' crowd this summer (which is the only crowd they'll get, if any at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Not too venture too far off topic but I imagine most are still heavily booked at that period so your getting prices based on availability.

Once people start cancelling then availability should increase and therefore see prices drop. Some people would have booked non refunded rooms so that could skew the results for a while.

Maybe try again in a few weeks?
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    For the craic, checked hotels.com for July 17 in Galway (Happens to be Arts Festival).

Good luck... Irish Hospitality is going to have to adjust prices to suit Irish budgets if they want to get the 'staycation' crowd this summer (which is the only crowd they'll get, if any at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Knocknacarra and presumably other residential areas. Footpaths are very busy, especially since the 2km rule came in.

I noticed this. The rule was bought in to impose social distancing but the footpaths look busier that the beaches were before they were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

zell12 wrote: »

It all depends on the lessons learned by us (the general public) didn't this crisis, we could quite possibly have this all the time, but if politicians think they can get away with it they'll just keep screwing us and the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No Americans will be going anywhere this summer either thats a lot of lost $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 45,502 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

JohnCleary wrote: »

That'll come down closer to the time. Can see a lot of hotels closing down tbh.

• Advertisement

pure.conya wrote: »
    , we could quite possibly have this all the time, but if politicians think they can get away with it they'll just keep screwing us and the planet

We couldn't.

GDPR is being temporarily ignored by a lot of businesses, in order to survive. That can'go on indefinitely though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement