Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

We couldn't.

GDPR is being temporarily ignored by a lot of businesses, in order to survive. That can'go on indefinitely though.

What has Gdpr got to do with living in the real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

pure.conya wrote: »
    What has Gdpr got to do with living in the real world?

It's the law in the real world, that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

We couldn't.

GDPR is being temporarily ignored by a lot of businesses, in order to survive. That can'go on indefinitely though.

What's GDPR got to do with Covid 19 and businesses surviving?

Maybe scrapping GDPR nonsense could be a positive outcome to come out of this terrible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Somebody stick Crown Square on ice again for another 8 years. Devastating for so many new building projects. Can't imagine that docks \ old train station development going ahead now for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Wombatman wrote: »
    Somebody stick Crown Square on ice again for another 8 years. Devastating for so many new building projects. Can't imagine that docks \ old train station development going ahead now for a while yet.
    Recession means it will cost less to build.

zell12 wrote: »
    Recession means it will cost less to build.

Really? Can't build a social house now for less than €300k and that's after 10 years of recession and austerity

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

?Cee?view wrote: »
    What's GDPR got to do with Covid 19 and businesses surviving?

One company that I've done work for in the last three weeks has been very explicit: ignore GDPR, ignore ergonimic health and safety, just get our people working remotely. Another has been less explicit but has done similar.

I know of two kitchens where home-working employees from different companies are based, who would never otherwise allow co-location because of potential GDPR issues if they overhear each others calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back to traffic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I know of two kitchens where home-working employees from different companies are based, who would never otherwise allow co-location because of potential GDPR issues if they overhear each others calls.
    It's not so much a GDPR issue as a 'doing business' issue. It would have been an issue long before GDPR and long before Data Protection legislation.
    Public transport is undoubtably a high risk place for catching it either by proximity or from surfaces.
    Has this been confirmed by any actual public health experts?
    Not saying this as a dig a public transport btw.
    tenor.gif
    Wombatman wrote: »
    Who would have thought at the start of the year, that the problem would be solved by March?

Poor auld Andrew must be cycling round in circles somewhere.
    Your second statement is remarkably accurate, with the working from home and the 2km limit, I am literally cycling round in circles regularly.

Your first statement is remarkably inaccurate.
    Positive effect of the pandemic
    clearer air, animals noticed more, streetscapes appreciated without incessant vehicles, more humans walking.

Can we have this all the time?

Indeed, between the work from home and the healthier travel options, there will be some interesting changed expectations when the dust settles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Has this been confirmed by any actual public health experts?

Most people have common sense to avoid public transport at this time, you know what: sometimes we don't need an expert to tell us something!!!

I'm convinced your trolling now...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most people have common sense to avoid public transport at this time, you know what: sometimes we don't need an expert to tell us something!!!

I can confirm that public transport in Galway has been remarkably empty - I've felt safer there than in the supermarket, but only because of the low loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

I think traffic in galway is not going to be an issue for next 2 months and possibly more, thread can be parked for a bit.
    Like it was ever constructive anyways looking at recent posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

6 wrote: »
    That'll come down closer to the time. Can see a lot of hotels closing down tbh.

Can’t see any in the city closing, in a matter of fact can see more opening

Many people don't have the privilege to avoid public transport - low-paid workers with long commutes with early starts and late finishes.

But yes, I'd really rather we get views from an expert rather from the person who has a notorious allergy to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Many people don't have the privilege to avoid public transport - low-paid workers with long commutes with early starts and late finishes.

But yes, I'd really rather we get views from an expert rather from the person who has a notorious allergy to other people.

You need an expert to tell you that public transport is a high risk area in terms of catching an infectious disease?

Do you also need help tying your shoe laces every morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If only bus services started early enough and finished late enough for those with unsociable working hours. But they don't. And those with long commutes rarely have scheduled bus services routed anywhere near them.

But come on Andrew, let's have more of your renowned expertise.

Can’t see any in the city closing, in a matter of fact can see more opening

So you have a clue how tough the insurance companies have made it for businesses, especially new startups, and they've gone into overdrive the last few weeks, this does not encourage openings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

So you have a clue how tough the insurance companies have made it for businesses, especially new startups, and they've gone into overdrive the last few weeks, this does not encourage openings

I do and I also know the massive profits hotels make.

You need an expert to tell you that public transport is a high risk area in terms of catching an infectious disease?

If only bus services started early enough and finished late enough for those with unsociable working hours. But they don't. And those with long commutes rarely have scheduled bus services routed anywhere near them.

But come on Andrew, let's have more of your renowned expertise.

Yes, I guess that's why NTA have been moving to 24 hour services on certain routes. Is that early enough and late enough for ya?

I'm not sure what particular expertise you're referring to here. I'm not an immunologist, and I'm pretty sure no-one else on this thread is an immunologist.

So no, unlike others, I'm not going to make claims about what is or isn't highly infectious. I certainly haven't heard any of the public health experts giving warnings about public transport, other than the standard distancing guidance.

So who actually decided that current public transport services, with good distancing is a high risk of infection?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

An unwelcome side effect of the lack of congestion around Knocnacarra is some drivers are absolutely flooring it on the quiet roads.

Why the rush?? With so many family groups out on bikes and out walking it's a serious accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

ChewyLouie wrote: »

Why the rush??

It's finally an opportunity to drive your car like you saw it advertised on tv - wafting along through an empty city with a big smile on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Maybe scrapping GDPR nonsense could be a positive outcome to come out of this terrible situation.

GDPR is very sensible legislation. The main issues come from people not understanding it and applying the rules wrong or business using it as an excuse to do something when in reality it has nothing to do with GDPR.
    Really? Can't build a social house now for less than €300k and that's after 10 years of recession and austerity

We were (at least up till about a month ago) in the middle of an economic and building boom. Austerity and recession were in the past. That is why it cost 300k. If we end up back in recession again because of Covid then prices will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

donvito99 wrote: »
    It's finally an opportunity to drive your car like you saw it advertised on tv - wafting along through an empty city with a big smile on your face.

They should make realistic car ads where you're sitting in traffic staring blankly at the brake lights ahead of you while an old lady walks past in the background :pac:

cooperguy wrote: »
    We were (at least up till about a month ago) in the middle of an economic and building boom. Austerity and recession were in the past. That is why it cost 300k. If we end up back in recession again because of Covid then prices will drop.

Property prices might temporarily drop a couple of percent but the price to build will keep going up

That's not true
    Cost of building a house is much less, excluding land
    3-bed social housing unit nationally €184,685

3-bed social housing unit Dublin= €205,250
    3-bed social housing unit outside Dublin = €154,560.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

That's not true
    Cost of building a house is much less, excluding land
    3-bed social housing unit nationally €184,685

3-bed social housing unit Dublin= €205,250
    3-bed social housing unit outside Dublin = €154,560.

Back to traffic please!

topcat77 wrote: »
    Back to traffic please!
    Altogether now in these lockdown times..
    what_traffic?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

I did say earlier I think this thread needs a hiatus until norm returns, there is no traffic at present. Decision on bypass is most likely delayed, no new PT in the short to medium term. Until new news there really isn't anything useful to say

Most of the top threads are relating to one thing

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »
    I did say earlier I think this thread needs a hiatus until norm returns, there is no traffic at present. Decision on bypass is most likely delayed, no new PT in the short to medium term. Until new news there really isn't anything useful to say

Most of the top threads are relating to one thing

On the contrary, I appreciate having something other than covid-19 to read about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement