Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Has worked stopped on the Kirwan roundabout conversion to a traffic light junction or is that ongoing?

Would be an ideal time to get that project done if the work can be done safely. Not sure if road works fall under the construction site retrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

On the contrary, I appreciate having something other than covid-19 to read about

As would I but the others will have their agenda hence a lot of off topic posts.
    As I said there is no traffic and no news to comment in relation to this topic at least until the norm returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Laviski wrote: »
    As would I but the others will have their agenda hence a lot of off topic posts.
    As I said there is no traffic and no news to comment in relation to this topic at least until the norm returns.

Just don't look in on the thread so? Others are still interested in discussing the traffic in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Just don't look in on the thread so? Others are still interested in discussing the traffic in Galway.

This.

What traffic?
    Also recent posts have nothing relating to traffic or PT.

I'm all for discussion but everything is pretty much on hold. There is no traffic, there is no news, no approvals no anything.

Would rather have thread preserved than completely derailed with loads of off topic posts.

• Advertisement

What traffic?
    Also recent posts have nothing relating to traffic or PT.

I'm all for discussion but everything is pretty much on hold. There is no traffic, there is no news, no approvals no anything.

Would rather have thread preserved than completely derailed with loads of off topic posts.

Post reported as off topic ;)

Well that depends on whether you use the thread to passively document what others are doing and moan about the traffic or if you want to discuss some alternatives and solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Well that depends on whether you use the thread to passively document what others are doing and moan about the traffic or if you want to discuss some alternatives and solutions.

On that note...

... has anyone used the bus since the traffic has disappeared? What has the reduction in journey time been?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guys, please keep it on topic. There may be merit to have this thread open during this crisis so for now it stays open.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

donvito99 wrote: »
    On that note...
    ... has anyone used the bus since the traffic has disappeared? What has the reduction in journey time been?
    Bus travels slowly, and the bus pauses at stops along the route to not to arrive way too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

donvito99 wrote: »
    On that note...

Yes.

I'm an essential industry worker, sometimes I need to be in office.

Journeys are slow because the drivers are driving ... ahh, make that crawling, to the timetable.

Post reported as off topic ;)

f9f.gif

There are others who asked the same to keep on topic if not, then put on ice until corana is over. Its not that hard to create a new thread for such posts.... well....
    ChewyLouie wrote: »

Actually have contributed, instead on the selected privileged moaning or posting drivel

the new bridge the council wishing to pursue between cathedral and courthouse should actually be a road bridge and not a footbridge. Pedestrians will still use the medieval bridge including tourists for photos. Makes no sense to create a foot bridge that would not be fully utilized. But won't happen, short sighted council can't see the long term benefits, so only pursue and fund the cheap option. Busses and HGV’s will continue to get bottlenecked here with still been a potential hazard to pedestrians.

Also mentioned the need to change a lane on bohermore and college road into a bus lane. Which in effect make normal traffic into a one way route around town but busses still have two lanes in both directions on same roads. What to do with Eglinton street would be difficult, stop allowing parking even for loading would be a start, same as foster street.

However, no decisions on PT is going to happen until the new ring road is approved and then built. It was already mentioned in an article on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

However, no decisions on PT is going to happen until the new ring road is approved and then built. It was already mentioned in an article on.

That is not true, Councils have stated that they have to do something for PT regardless. Ring Road is a decade away.
    Interesting perhaps in the short/medium term will be the "cycling" story. Covid19 going to be around for another 12-18 months, City aint going to shutdown for that period. No way.
    Will we see a uptake in cycling this summer when the restrictions ease? Former PT users?

Will we see a uptake in cycling this summer when the restrictions ease? Former PT users?
    This actually occurred after the London Underground Bombings in the 00's
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/jul/07/july7.uksecurity4
    Could we see the same occurring again?

That is not true, Councils have stated that they have to do something for PT regardless. Ring Road is a decade away.
    Interesting perhaps in the short/medium term will be the "cycling" story. Covid19 going to be around for another 12-18 months, City aint going to shutdown for that period. No way.

saying and doing.....

reality will hit that PT is going to suffer, council budget will be slashed so projects for roads will evaporate, people will be less inclined to take PT at least until vaccine is in. lots of variables and would suspect people will take car where possible where previously they would take PT to avoid parking issues etc. Yes some would cycle and that will be fine come the summer months but when winter hits and full gale of wind/rain will change that tune.

I'd say so, have noticed a lot of bikes out and about. Parents with more time to take kids out and generally quieter roads (except for the few fast cars!), should get the kids into cycling.

People have time to dust off and service their old bikes... ties in well with the time of year when fair weather cyclists (myself included) consider getting back on the saddle. Lot of people out doing loops and climbs for their daily exercise.

saying and doing.....

reality will hit that PT is going to suffer,council budget will be slashed so projects for roads will evaporate, people will be less inclined to take PT at least until vaccine is in. lots of variables and would suspect people will take car where possible where previously they would take PT to avoid parking issues etc. Yes some would cycle and that will be fine come the summer months but when winter hits and full gale of wind/rain will change that tune.

Councils here dont control money for either, its national here. TII. Regardless, can imagine when unemployment is very high post Covid19, jobs that are "human labour intensive" will get priority in this area.

zell12 wrote: »
    Bus travels slowly, and the bus pauses at stops along the route to not to arrive way too early.

I don't think this happens, or certainly not in my experience of using busses. They will remain at their departure point until the correct time but will not dwell along the way and will arrive at the finish stop much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I don't think this happens, or certainly not in my experience of using busses. They will remain at their departure point until the correct time but will not dwell along the way and will arrive at the finish stop much faster.
    It is happening on city buses. Otherwise a thirty minute scheduled ride will turn into a twelve minute one

Councils here dont control money for either, its national here. TII. Regardless, can imagine when unemployment is very high post Covid19, jobs that are "human labour intensive" will get priority in this area.

governments of have a strong history of cut spending in a recession and splurge through the golden era. When effect the opposite should be happening however sense will rarely prevail in Irish politics where most elections are bought. The exception been the last budget where FG did in fact do a prudent budget albeit for different reason (brexit).

Council or TFI or what ever government departments will have their budgets reduced next year as health and social welfare spike. I expects road projects or a bus connects for galway a long way off. Even with approval for ring road i'd be surprised if that is started in the next 3/4 years.

even implementing change on bohermore/college road as i suggested would require very little work/cost, just can't see a decision that would be of any benefit in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It is happening on city buses. Otherwise a thirty minute scheduled ride will turn into a twelve minute one

Confirmed.

They hired a bunch of new drivers who were fresh out of training school and doing this anyway. Now Covid is here, it's happening even more.

Strange, when I lived in another irish city I used to use one or two bus routes and the only time that was accurate was the leaving time it would fly though the route if traffic was light. I assumed this was the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Where I often notice it is when transitting through Eyre Square, excruciatingly long wait times for a city service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Strange, when I lived in another irish city I used to use one or two bus routes and the only time that was accurate was the leaving time it would fly though the route if traffic was light. I assumed this was the norm.

That used to be the way here too. Think people are talking about what's currently happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

What does PT stand for?

Blondie919 wrote: »
    What does PT stand for?

Public Transport

Council or TFI or what ever government departments will have their budgets reduced next year as health and social welfare spike. I expects road projects or a bus connects for galway a long way off. Even with approval for ring road i'd be surprised if that is started in the next 3/4 years.
    Agree very poor history and basic grasp of economics from the Dept of Finance.
    Elements of the bus connects for Galway City are cheap though to implement; In the City Centre many are just car traffic restrictions along the main spine corridor between College Road -> Eyre Sq -> Egligton St -> Salmon Weir Bridge
    Ring Road is at a min a decade or two away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/change-our-streets-open-letter-sent-to-city-council-signed-by-200-organisations-and-individuals/

Nearly 200 organisations and individuals have signed an Open Letter which was sent to Galway City Council today offering creative ideas on how we could ‘Change Our Streets’.
    Led by the Galway Cycling Campaign, the city-wide alliance proposes making public spaces safer and more accessible for all ages and abilities for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's interesting and should definitely be possible this summer.
    Once traffic starts flowing again the temp measures can be rescinded.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    It's interesting and should definitely be possible this summer.
    Once traffic starts flowing again the temp measures can be rescinded.

No.
    Once the pandemic is under control then things may revert - many measures will likely be kept in the City Centre though as they are elements of the City Councils medium term plans anyhow.
    Will force them to speed up implenatation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement