Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Way more people on the roads this week, we are all supposed to be staying at home

Not really. Construction industry has reopened, as have garden centers and certain sports are permitted

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Haven’t seen a check point in days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Haven’t seen a check point in days

There was one this morning on the N59 between Moycullen and the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bernie56

What would you say are the most confusing, challenging, or poorly designed roads or traffic systems around Galway for a new driver or visitor.
    Thanks!
    Bernie

The three lane system passing Dunnes in Terryland with two lanes going right over the bridge and one going straight ahead comes to mind. It is definitely something that confuses people who aren't familiar especially with a bus lane on the left for a time to further confuse things. People don't know hat lane they should be in for straight ahead as logically junctions like this would generally be two straight and one right turning rather than one straight ahead and two right turning.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Do you mean driving towards Currys and The cinema?
    I think that's one of the places I've been confused. I'm a relatively new driver and I'm always in Connemara but there are two or three places I always have an issue in town and I'm trying to pinpoint them so I can get someone to take me out and talk me through! There's a traffic light system somewhere I can't recall that always confuses me and last week coming back from Ballybrit one lane seems to lead into the cars turning right coming the other way with no indication on the road to switch lanes. I just want to repeat over and over these nemesis locations!
    Thanks.
    The three lane system passing Dunnes in Terryland with two lanes going right over the bridge and one going straight ahead comes to mind. It is definitely something that confuses people who aren't familiar especially with a bus lane on the left for a time to further confuse things. People don't know hat lane they should be in for straight ahead as logically junctions like this would generally be two straight and one right turning rather than one straight ahead and two right turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Bernie56 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Do you mean driving towards Currys and The cinema?
    I think that's one of the places I've been confused. I'm a relatively new driver and I'm always in Connemara but there are two or three places I always have an issue in town and I'm trying to pinpoint them so I can get someone to take me out and talk me through! There's a traffic light system somewhere I can't recall that always confuses me and last week coming back from Ballybrit one lane seems to lead into the cars turning right coming the other way with no indication on the road to switch lanes. I just want to repeat over and over these nemesis locations!
    Thanks.

Yes, that junction. It's probably the worst junction in Galway alright, not a good place for a nervous driver.

You're fortunate that the infamous "magic roundabout" once located there no longer exists.

Bernie56 wrote: »
    What would you say are the most confusing, challenging, or poorly designed roads or traffic systems around Galway for a new driver or visitor.
    Thanks!
    Bernie

If you’ve the test passed and all the lessons complete you’ll get around the city no bother. Galway is really only a large town

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Eyre Square and the roads off to the docks can be a bit confusing as to whether it's a one way or 2 way system.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you’ve the test passed and all the lessons complete you’ll get around the city no bother. Galway is really only a large town
    This. I have a lot of driving experience all over the island and abroad but don't find Galway particularly difficult to navigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

biko wrote: »
    This. I have a lot of driving experience all over the island and abroad but don't find Galway particularly difficult to navigate.

And it’s not, anyone who cannot navigate the town of Galway should park up the car and book a few more lessons.

phelant wrote: »
    And it’s not, anyone who cannot navigate the town of Galway should park up the car and book a few more lessons.

Hi. I can navigate and have had many lessons and been driving here for a year and a half. I'm in Connemara and not in town often so have not got every place locked in my brain yet. There are just one or two junctions that have confused me in the past. I learn better by being shown and had planned to book a lesson to go over the most challenging places l. Then lockdown happened.

I had to come in last week to take my husband for a heart procedure (thank god he had it done) and had one place that confused me. I didn't do anything wrong, but it reminded me I wanted to tap in to the knowledge of experienced Galway drivers.

I'm just trying to be safe and I think learning is a lifelong pursuit. Thanks for any and all advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I understand every bike shop in the city is selling out of stock. Theres 3+ month waiting lists for higher spec bikes.
    With people concerned about sharing space on public transport, new cycling habits over covid
    are we going to see an increase in commuter bike traffic?
    Would this put pressure on the council to put in cycling infrastructure?
    Could we actually see some of Galways traffic problems resolved from the bottom up?
    Just a thought.

I understand every bike shop in the city is selling out of stock. Theres 3+ month waiting lists for higher spec bikes.
    With people concerned about sharing space on public transport, new cycling habits over covid
    are we going to see an increase in commuter bike traffic?
    Would this put pressure on the council to put in cycling infrastructure?
    Could we actually see some of Galways traffic problems resolved from the bottom up?
    Just a thought.

Not without some top down leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Not without some top down leadership

I agree - City Council dont want really want to change, I say any change will come from the Dept of Transport.
    They are unfortunatly the wrong organisation at the wrong time to implement any changes. Minimum staffing, tiny budgets by Euro standards, experience and knowledge is severly lacking, they outsource practically everything. Does not bode well I'm afraid to say

Electric buses could soon come to Galway

Galway could soon have electric buses on city routes under NTA acquirement plans Galway Senator Seán Kyne has said.
    The National Transport Authority is seeking a supplier for up to 200 electric buses for public transport routes.

The NTA is seeking responses from perspective suppliers by the end of June for an agreement that would last an initial two and a half years with an option to extend for a further two and a half years.

“Electric buses are already widely used in China and are growing in popularity in European cities as well as closer to home in the UK.”

“Some services are powered through overhead cables but many more are battery operated,” Seán Kyne said.

Senator Kyne added that the timing of the contract sought “coincides with work to expand and enhance Galway’s public transport services”.

This includes the creation of Bus Connects, a network of five “high performing cross city routes” envisioned in Project Ireland 2040.

While plans are already developing to roll out double-decker hybrid diesel/electric buses in Dublin, this proposed supply agreement focuses on single-deck, long length buses.

The proposal also “references Galway’s two main public transport bus operators – Bus Éireann and City Direct,” Senator Kyne added.

If brought to Galway these could help deliver “sustainable growth but also in making Galway a better and cleaner place in which to live, work or visit.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Guards were down at westside McDonald's earlier, about 5pm,to help deal with the queues of traffic for the drive thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Guards were down at westside McDonald's earlier, about 5pm,to help deal with the queues of traffic for the drive thru.

Surely queueing for an hour+ for fast food is an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Queue for Supermacs was the shortest it's been for weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

And think of the much better food you could get at quicker! Each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I know I've seen a photo with that name on it. Cannot find it for the life of me, but sure I've seen it.

Spanish Parade is the road.

Spanish Arch is the area between the road and the river where people drink, aka Buckfast Plaza.

What do you call the area on the othrrsode if the street beside Burgerstory, where the delivery drivers now hang out.

Absolute rubbish. You can't just come here making stuff up!

Spanish Arch is the Spanish Arch. It's not an area.

Spanish Parade is not just a road. It's the area that is now paved, to the front of the Spanish Arch, what you refer to as "the area between the road and the river".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OBumble is correct, Spanish Parade is the street.
    Boojum's address is 1 Spanish Parade, Galway

The paved area between Lime and the Corrib is also Spanish Parade, used to be Fish Market << I stand to be corrected on this though

biko wrote: »
    OBumble is correct, Spanish Parade is the street.
    Boojum's address is 1 Spanish Parade, Galway

The paved area between Lime and the Corrib is also Spanish Parade, used to be Fish Market << I stand to be corrected on this though

She's not because she goes on to state

"Spanish Arch is the area between the road and the river where people drink, aka Buckfast Plaza."

You point out yourself that she is wrong to describe the area as Spanish Arch - "The paved area between Lime and the Corrib is also Spanish Parade,.."

Spanish Parade existed well before the current street which only exists in its current form and following its current line for approximately 30 years. Before that street was ever there, this entire area was Spanish Parade. The area in general (the paved area and now more recently the new street), is Spanish Parade.

Yes, you're kind of right on the Fish Market. There was a Fish Market there, but the area assumed the name even though the market was held on the Spanish Parade.

Names of areas evolve. Long Walk evolved from Eyre's Long Wall. In Irish, that road is still known as "An Balla Fada", the Long Wall. However, evolution is different from baldly stating something as fact when it is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

?Cee?view wrote: »
    She's not because she goes on to state

"Spanish Arch is the area between the road and the river where people drink, aka Buckfast Plaza."

You point out yourself that she is wrong to describe the area as Spanish Arch - "The paved area between Lime and the Corrib is also Spanish Parade,.."

Spanish Parade existed well before the current street which only exists in its current form and following its current line for approximately 30 years. Before that street was ever there, this entire area was Spanish Parade. The area in general (the paved area and now more recently the new street), is Spanish Parade.

Yes, you're kind of right on the Fish Market. There was a Fish Market there, but the area assumed the name even though the market was held on the Spanish Parade.

Names of areas evolve. Long Walk evolved from Eyre's Long Wall. In Irish, that road is still known as "An Balla Fada", the Long Wall. However, evolution is different from baldly stating something as fact when it is wrong.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, that area where the new 'Jumper Shop' is (where Cobwebs is, Townhouse, Punchbag, The Garage - depending on your age!) is also called 'Quay Lane' on many maps, and was an official address for some of those businesses.

I used to think it was the old name for Druid lane (maybe it was) pre the arrival of Druid?

inisboffin wrote: »
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, that area where the new 'Jumper Shop' is (where Cobwebs is, Townhouse, Punchbag, The Garage - depending on your age!) is also called 'Quay Lane' on many maps, and was an official address for some of those businesses.

I used to think it was the old name for Druid lane (maybe it was) pre the arrival of Druid?

Locally pronounced "Kay"

The river under the bridge is also known as the Quay Stream. Anyone who would call it that though would never say Quay. They'd call it the "Kay" Stream. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

flazio wrote: »
    Queue for Supermacs was the shortest it's been for weeks :D

Someone finally realised how ****e Supermacs food is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Paddico wrote: »
    Someone finally realised how ****e Supermacs food is

i think its more to do with two McDonalds drive thru's opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I’m glad to hear that there winding the path between Jungle Café and the pedestrian cross at Eyre Square. Hard to get down there with the double buggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

https://connachttribune.iepedestrian-bridge-plan-for-salmon-weir-leaps-forward/

thought they would be parking any big projects like this until the re-altered the streets for the Pandemic Social distancing changes. Follow the money I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement