Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I’m glad to hear that there winding the path between Jungle Café and the pedestrian cross at Eyre Square. Hard to get down there with the double buggy

They could do with trying something from Jurys down to south park as well. The Salmon weir bridge is also another difficult area to socially distance

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They could do with trying something from Jurys down to south park as well. The Salmon weir bridge is also another difficult area to socially distance

It would be easy if they just said "keep left, no overtaking" for pedestrians - and people followed the rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

They could yea

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭mjp

See from the new programme from government announced to day that funding there will be a 2:1 split on public transport spending over new roads infrastructure. Will this threaten funding for our city bypass and be another hurdle for us to get over in order to get this agreement over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

mjp wrote: »
    See from the new programme from government announced to day that funding there will be a 2:1 split on public transport spending over new roads infrastructure. Will this threaten funding for our city bypass and be another hurdle for us to get over in order to get this agreement over the line.

Of course it will. The Greens have set Galway back decades before and they’ll do it again now. Bad day for Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Of course it will. The Greens have set Galway back decades before and they’ll do it again now. Bad day for Galway.

Probably a bit of an exaggeration tbf..

6 wrote: »
    Probably a bit of an exaggeration tbf..

Is it? Remember when the first proposal was on the edge, and the then Green Mayor of Galway wrote a letter of objection to it on Mayoral headed paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Good day for the city and the city.
    We know where building another road, another bypass leads. We might actually get people with education and professional experience in spatial planning and urban design in positions of authority.

Is it? Remember when the first proposal was on the edge, and the then Green Mayor of Galway wrote a letter of objection to it on Mayoral headed paper?

cos thats what killed it

If anything Covid will be much more of an impact than the Greens. Road budgets will be decimated for a few years. I was in favour of the ring road, but can't see it moving too much for a long time. Higher priorities tbh.

• Advertisement

If anything Covid will be much more of an impact than the Greens. Road budgets will be decimated for a few years. I was in favour of the ring road, but can't see it moving too much for a long time. Higher priorities tbh.

Yes. There’s truth to that I’m sure. However, with the EU having relaxed fiscal rules, there was a hope that we might see some Marshall Plan type investment, in the hope of getting things going again. Now, if that happens, it’ll be directed to gold paved cycle lanes and monorails...

Yes. There’s truth to that I’m sure. However, with the EU having relaxed fiscal rules, there was a hope that we might see some Marshall Plan type investment, in the hope of getting things going again. Now, if that happens, it’ll be directed to gold paved cycle lanes and monorails...

Personally I think we need a mix of public transport, proper cycle lanes, and also a ring road.

I'll hold out hope of getting them all, but I'm hearing about a ring road near 20 years at this stage, so I'll not get too excited :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Most of the motorways were developed and built under the last FF/ Green coalition weren't they?

mjp wrote: »

The ring road is either already dead, or will bring down the government if it isn’t. it’s not getting built any time soon. Either way I’ll be moving down to Shannon, no progress means the greenest thing I can do is stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Corrib below weir is so low now that people could simply drive across at lower tidal ranges

Personally I think we need a mix of public transport, proper cycle lanes, and also a ring road.

Absolutely, that's the only sensible approach. Problem is, with the Greens and their ilk it's either/or, and they'll always want PT and bicycles. No joined up thinking.

Absolutely, that's the only sensible approach. Problem is, with the Greens and their ilk it's either/or, and they'll always want PT and bicycles. No joined up thinking.

They'll get a commitment for an overall percentage of budget for that stuff. That'll be agreed up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I don't know why they would not put a bridge across the Corrib on the old railway supports, you could get across from the headford road to Newcastle.

They'll get a commitment for an overall percentage of budget for that stuff. That'll be agreed up front.

My issue is they are apparently prioritising PT and bicycles over other transport infrastructure.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I don't know why they would not put a bridge across the Corrib on the old railway supports, you could get across from the headford road to Newcastle.

That's already planned

• Advertisement

My issue is they are apparently prioritising PT and bicycles over other transport infrastructure.

Who? The Greens? They are the junior junior partner in the coalition. They'll have an input but they won't be dictating.

Available budget, and what makes sense with the budget will dictate what is prioiritised.

Who? The Greens? They are the junior junior partner in the coalition. They'll have an input but they won't be dictating.

Available budget, and what makes sense with the budget will dictate what is prioiritised.

Sorry. No. Apparently the proposed programme for government.

Sorry. No. Apparently the proposed programme for government.

20% in total for Cycling projects and pedestrian infrastructure.

80% for the rest.
    10% of the total transport capital budget will be used for cycling projects. A further 10% will be used for pedestrian infrastructure.

Don't see anything about this 20% being prioritised. Where did you see that?

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0615/1147612-programme-for-govt-at-a-glance/

20% in total for Cycling projects and pedestrian infrastructure.

80% for the rest.

Don't see anything about this 20% being prioritised. Where did you see that?

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0615/1147612-programme-for-govt-at-a-glance/

I can't recall where I saw it. In hindsight, it could have been speculation prior to the release of the document. Thanks for the good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

That's already planned

For bikes n pedestrians I presume

Paddico wrote: »
    For bikes n pedestrians I presume

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

Yes

I was proposed in 1998-99 when I was living in Galway

Challenging to get the University, the Corrib Club and the Jes Rowing Club all on side.

It's to form part of the Connemara Greenway I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Green Party pretty much killing off Galway bypass and Limerick-Cork motorway....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/greens-considering-railway-line-between-limerick-and-cork-1005990.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement