Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The way I read the statement it was that even if a non Green government is formed, that government would be unable to get shovels in the ground in the next 5 years because the tender is still too young. I don't see anything there to suggest that the Greens would deliberately block or frustrate proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Green twat from Dun Laoghaire attempts to appease his fellow urbanite Greens by screwing the West of Ireland. Their two weeks during the Summer playground of Connemara and the West, can’t be ruined building dirty roads anywhere near it!

Much more positive about the bypass here:

https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/115137/senators-welcome-government-commitment-to-progress-galway-city-ring-road?fbclid=IwAR3WgX7cJh3DlJs9c8SHMCbNnoliyPkIpgN3eLc1-rtKi8X2yv_Nx9nkERE

It's an absolute abomination if they scrap the M20 and Galway bypass, its instantly not to have motorway between Limerick and Cork that road should have been built years ago.

With regards cycling infrastructure, its not just for the able bodied

This is the Dublin Inquirer article from 2019 about the work being done by Trinity & DCC

The tweets and pics from the DCC Beta twitter

https://twitter.com/DCCbeta/status/1143151074129457152?s=20

A visually impaired student cyclist talks about his experiences cycling around Dublin

https://twitter.com/TCDHealthP/status/1229378398381891585?s=20

Yet another plan to build a pedestrian/cycle bridge across the corrib using the old rail bridge piers

Seems like this gets brought up every few years. I'll believe it when I see it, sadly

https://connachttribune.ie/dyke-road-area-set-to-undergo-transformation/

517444.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A post that crossed the line of good taste removed, along with quoting posts.
    Keep it to traffic only please.

What has niche cycling workarounds by enthusiasts in Dublin have to do with us in Galway? Unless there’s concrete plans to introduce such facilities here?

Also, while we’re looking at it, what advantages/disadvantsges do people think raising the dyke road to meet the Bicentennial bridge road at a level junction would do? Maybe divert non-city traffic off of the Headford road?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Sorry. No. Apparently the proposed programme for government.

It seems a simple case that we have 4 times the cars on the road since the last bridge was built.

The city is suffocating, cycling is dangerous and PT is unreliable until we get some space.

Maybe a high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane might be trialed from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit/Parkmore 2 hour periods in the morning and evening... Add that with app to match people with drivers, heard it working in other cities.

CowboyTed wrote: »
    The city is suffocating, cycling is dangerous and PT is unreliable until we get some space.

Firstly let's start with "PT" including Taxis. Better to think about "MT" (mass transport) as taxis are even less efficient users of road space than private cars.

Any and all measures to improve the service / frequency / scheduling of MT should deliberately exclude taxis in their provision to gain better results for MT users.

Mass transit in the age of COVID-19.....

Maybe read the room. Also goods and stretchers don’t use busses, and they’re the more important consideration.
    (Mass transit, trucks & ambulances are larger road users, and should be the primary design consideration)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

CowboyTed wrote: »

Maybe a high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane might be trialed from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit/Parkmore 2 hour periods in the morning and evening... Add that with app to match people with drivers, heard it working in other cities.

More pre-Covid thinking for a post-Covid world.

People returning to work are being advised to travel alone, not to share confined spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,880 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Galway City Ring Road will proceed under the coalition’s Programme for Government.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/39492-taoiseach-confirms-commitment-to-the-galway-ring-road-in-the-programme-for-government

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

Yet another plan to build a pedestrian/cycle bridge across the corrib using the old rail bridge piers

Seems like this gets brought up every few years. I'll believe it when I see it, sadly

https://connachttribune.ie/dyke-road-area-set-to-undergo-transformation/

517444.jpg

It will be great if its ever done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Any progress on the cycle lanes out by Salthill? There was talk of it a few weeks ago but all quiet since. There is a growing demand now for parking in Salthill and the council might be under pressure to remove the cones and open on-street parking soon.

blueshark2 wrote: »
    Any progress on the cycle lanes out by Salthill? There was talk of it a few weeks ago but all quiet since. There is a growing demand now for parking in Salthill and the council might be under pressure to remove the cones and open on-street parking soon.

I think its safe to say that parking is gone for good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

i wouldn't take anything for granted

I sincerely hope not and would be very surprised if parking is not returned. It would be insanity to get rid of all that parking thats very much needed for people going to sathill.

Where do you expect people to park?? Even with all that parking it was always difficult to get parking close to salthill, I can see those of us who use leisureland being unable to get parking there now as people using the beach or prom will park in there too which is another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

:rolleyes:

Forster Street gets some love
    3wQOKK1.jpg?1

zell12 wrote: »
    3wQOKK1.jpg?1

Crazy. Bottleneck is now more of a bottleneck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »
    3wQOKK1.jpg?1

Removing a bus lane is love???

It is to widen the footpath for pedestrian traffic
    besides the bus lane is essentially a car park unless a warden was physically there to enforce it

I sincerely hope not and would be very surprised if parking is not returned. It would be insanity to get rid of all that parking thats very much needed for people going to sathill.

Where do you expect people to park?? Even with all that parking it was always difficult to get parking close to salthill, I can see those of us who use leisureland being unable to get parking there now as people using the beach or prom will park in there too which is another issue.

I suppose the idea is more will cycle to Salthill with a new cycle lane and better facilities.

The demand for parking is highest when weather is good - which is when cycling is also most suitable.

It's more dangerous than before to cycle at the moment so hopefully they'll replace the cones and barriers with a two-way cycle lane soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Park in town and bus/cycle/walk out, its about a 20 minute walk. They can bring in paid parking in Leisureland so you'll have a space.

Park in town and bus/cycle/walk out, its about a 20 minute walk.

Try that with kids, buckets, spades, buggies etc. etc. :D:D

I suppose the idea is more will cycle to Salthill with a new cycle lane and better facilities.

The demand for parking is highest when weather is good - which is when cycling is also most suitable.

It's more dangerous than before to cycle at the moment so hopefully they'll replace the cones and barriers with a two-way cycle lane soon.

Cycle? nonsense. People travel from all over the county to salthill and driving is the only option
    Park in town and bus/cycle/walk out, its about a 20 minute walk. They can bring in paid parking in Leisureland so you'll have a space.

Park in town? where? people are trying to get rid of all the bloody parking in town too. Why should people who might drive for an hour to galway have to walk 20 mins, maybe with a few kids, lots of stuff to carry etc its completely impractical (and impossible in many instances) and no I don't want pay parking at leisureland I want free parking as its always been.

Honestly people live in total bubble and haven't even the smallest clue about whats practical with this cycle and walk obsession which suits them as they live close but F everyone else.

F everyone else.

You've hit the nail on the head here. That is the attitude of many who want to get rid of evil child killing cars. Little to no consideration for those who can't walk or cycle conveniently.

Honestly people live in total bubble and haven't even the smallest clue about whats practical with this cycle and walk obsession which suits them as they live close but F everyone else.

They're not removing the car parks. There is a free public car park on the prom with about 180 spaces and a free public car park at the aquarium with about 130 spaces.

These are available for anyone travelling long distance to Salthill or with mobility issues. Better cycling facilities for those nearby or in the city should reduce the other demand and make these more available for you.

Cycle? nonsense. People travel from all over the county to salthill and driving is the only option

Park in town? where? people are trying to get rid of all the bloody parking in town too. Why should people who might drive for an hour to galway have to walk 20 mins, maybe with a few kids, lots of stuff to carry etc its completely impractical (and impossible in many instances) and no I don't want pay parking at leisureland I want free parking as its always been.

Don't forget, there are already 2 sizeable car parks provided by the council. the main prom car park has spaces for 186 cars while Toft has an additional 138 spaces.

The space along the prom is going to become cycle lanes, its literally just a matter of when.

That space is marked in the Galway Transport Strategy for cycle lanes.

It forms part of the Barna-Galway cycle network.

It was the most highly requested feature in the recent mobility survey carried out by the City Council

517727.jpg

Zooming into the prom area, you can see the volume of requests for cycling related issues

517725.png

I'd recommend a look - https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/82bcdccf27e4466f86c47d0fb62f70fa

• Advertisement

They're not removing the car parks. There is a free public car park on the prom with about 180 spaces and a free public car park at the aquarium with about 130 spaces.

These are available for anyone travelling long distance to Salthill or with mobility issues. Better cycling facilities for those nearby or in the city should reduce the other demand and make these more available for you.

Them carparks fill on a normal weekday never mind a busy weekend. When I'm in the office I often drive to salthill to go into one of the cafes for lunch and wouldn't even try the main prom carpark often as it can be full on any random day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement