Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Park in town and bus.....

Nope. Public transport is now for essential journeys only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Them carparks fill on a normal weekday never mind a busy weekend.

Sorry but I really don't think that's true. Also remember the proposed cycle infrastructure is to encourage some of those (local) drivers to take the improved bike option.

Nope. Public transport is now for essential journeys only.

All the more reason to make it safer for cyclists and pedestrians, less people driving and using mass transport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wait until Omniplex reopens. Then we'll see how fast the prom parking spaces fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Cycle? nonsense. People travel from all over the county to salthill and driving is the only option

Park in town? where? people are trying to get rid of all the bloody parking in town too. Why should people who might drive for an hour to galway have to walk 20 mins, maybe with a few kids, lots of stuff to carry etc its completely impractical (and impossible in many instances) and no I don't want pay parking at leisureland I want free parking as its always been.

Honestly people live in total bubble and haven't even the smallest clue about whats practical with this cycle and walk obsession which suits them as they live close but F everyone else.

If you are going for a walk on the prom park in town and walk to the fecking prom. Some people like the idea of getting some air and exercise really only want to just say they got the bit of exercise without actually getting the exercise

• Advertisement

If you are going for a walk on the prom park in town and walk to the fecking prom. Some people like the idea of getting some air and exercise really only want to just say they got the bit of exercise without actually getting the exercise

That's absolute rubbish, parking in town (where for a start, finding parking in town is not easy either) and having to walk to the prom to walk on the prom is totally impractical or impossible for multiple reasons. I can't believe you could be seriously suggesting it as a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That's absolute rubbish, parking in town (where for a start, finding parking in town is not easy either) and having to walk to the prom to walk on the prom is totally impractical or impossible for multiple reasons. I can't believe you could be seriously suggesting it as a solution.

Are you physically unable to walk from town to the Prom? Otherwise I don't see how it's impossible. Investing in something other than deck shoes would aid the walking ability.

Park in town and bus/cycle/walk out, its about a 20 minute walk. They can bring in paid parking in Leisureland so you'll have a space.

That’s not how you spell “go f*** yourself carscum”

This all stinks of ablism to me TBH.

Are you physically unable to walk from town to the Prom? Otherwise I don't see how it's impossible. Investing in something other than deck shoes would aid the walking ability.

I am physically able but loads wouldn’t (deck shows are great for walking btw). My point wasn’t just about physically able though there are loads of reasons why it’s totally impractical. Its too far, it will take too long, it costs money to park in town, where will you find parking, you are time limited, you might want to carry stuff etc etc etc. It’s basically doubling the walk that someone might want to do in many instances which physically or practically isn’t possible.

It’s basically giving two fingers to people who don’t live close by and trying to put them off using such a great amenity, to what end I’m not sure as there is absolutely no need for a cycle lane along that stretch of road.

I am physically able but loads wouldn’t (deck shows are great for walking btw). My point wasn’t just about physically able though there are loads of reasons why it’s totally impractical. Its too far, it will take too long, it costs money to park in town, where will you find parking, you are time limited, you might want to carry stuff etc etc etc. It’s basically doubling the walk that someone might want to do in many instances which physically or practically isn’t possible.

It’s basically giving two fingers to people who don’t live close by and trying to put them off using such a great amenity, to what end I’m not sure as there is absolutely no need for a cycle lane along that stretch of road.

There are over 300 free parking spaces in Salthill, stop being overly dramatic.

This is coming whether you like it or not, its literally just a matter of when. If the council are smart they will roll it out asap while they have the space taken away from cars.

I really think we'll see this put in place within the next few weeks. Once done, and you have more people going to the prom for a safe cycle, you'll start to see and hear more calls for a further roll out of safe cycling infrastructure.

As the guy who runs the Galway Cycle Bus said when the PFG contained a reference to rolling out the initiative to other places, he hates the idea because if there was safe space to cycle places there would be no need for cycle buses and children could cycle safely to schools without any supervision as they would be safely segregated from motorists.

• Advertisement

Mostly nonsense really. I don't live near Salthill but on the occasion that we want to go for a walk out there we park in town or the Swamp. We unload the buggy and off we go. So no it's not too far for anyone who enjoys a walk, it doesn't take too long and there's ample parking in town. Surely a man who goes to town just for lunch or goes from the country to town to do some shopping knows where to park. You've also no idea what cyclists want or dont want either given your anti cycling rhetoric.

In other welcome news, 13 new bus shelters are going to be installed across the city

Yes, the stop at the Gateway shopping centre is finally getting one

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/installation-works-begin-on-plan-to-install-13-new-bus-shelters-across-city/

Mostly nonsense really. I don't live near Salthill but on the occasion that we want to go for a walk out there we park in town or the Swamp. We unload the buggy and off we go. So no it's not too far for anyone who enjoys a walk, it doesn't take too long and there's ample parking in town. Surely a man who goes to town just for lunch or goes from the country to town to do some shopping knows where to park. You've also no idea what cyclists want or dont want either given your anti cycling rhetoric.

I know where to park obviously but the easier it is to get parking the further you will be from the prom and even then it can be hard to get parking particularly in places where you can leave your car when not shopping in the location. If I want to go for a 20 - 30 mins stroll on the prom I have absolutely no interest in spending anything up to an hour of walking there and back. People don’t have time for that crap or any interest in the extra effort of it.

What will happen is people will park in estates and then you will have others on complaining about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I know where to park obviously but the easier it is to get parking the further you will be from the prom and even then it can be hard to get parking particularly in places where you can leave your car when not shopping in the location. If I want to go for a 20 - 30 mins stroll on the prom I have absolutely no interest in spending anything up to an hour of walking there and back. People don’t have time for that crap or any interest in the extra effort of it.
    Your level of interest in walking or your willingness to pay for storage space for your property are possibility not the major factors in deciding how to manage transport facilities.

What will happen is people will park in estates and then you will have others on complaining about that.

Replace the word people with the word I and your post could make some sense.

I am very sorry to tell you nox, but you are about to find the whole attitude to private cars & car parking changing across the country.

The Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets has updated its guidance for local authorities (attached for reference) in the wake of COVID-19. Pedestrians will take priority on Irish streets, followed by cyclists, public transport users, and finally private vehicles.

A just-published interim advice notice has a renewed focus on traffic calming, and transferring road space to walking, cycling, queuing, and outdoor seating. The notice is mandatory for all road authorities and replaces existing national urban design standards.

The approach from now on will follow this route in relation to priority

517756.jpg

In terms of pedestrians it states the following priorities
    • Providing a clear path (i.e. excluding street furniture) that enables social distancing in accordance with Government guidelines on all major pedestrian routes to public transport nodes, recreational areas and to/within commercial/retail centres. Refer also to DMURS Section 4.3.1 – Footway, Verges and Strips
    • Where paths are insufficient in width, additional space should be provided by narrowing the vehicular carriageway (see Figure 3.2) and/or closing off parking and/or loading areas (see Figure 3.3).
    • Installation of temporary signage that illustrates alternative walking and cycling routes through quieter areas.
    • Footpath markings that encourage pedestrians to keep to their left and illustrate the required separation distance.

For cyclists it states
    • Put in place additional segregated cycle lanes (see Figure 3.3) on key routes (i.e. as identified within regional, county and local plans).
    • Maximising (where possible) the length of Advanced Stop Lines at traffic lights to facilitate greater numbers of cyclists.
    • Increase the width of cycle lanes on major routes (or in part where possible) to cater for increased numbers of cyclists (provided sufficient space is also provided for pedestrians).

Traffic Management
    • Examine movement within the broader network and identify alternative routes for through traffic. Motorised vehicular moment within centres may be restricted to public transport, accessing local properties and deliveries. Certain streets (i.e. those with heavy footfall and/or which are narrow) may be suited to pedestrianisation (see also DMURS Section 4.3.4 - Pedestrianised and Shared Surfaces).
    • Minimise the width of vehicular carriageway to calm traffic and increase the space available to pedestrians and cyclists (as per Figures 3.2 and 3.3). Reference should be made to DMURS Section 4.3.1 - Carriageway Widths.
    • Implement one-way systems (see Figure 3.5). Where there is a conflict between maximising space for pedestrians and cyclists and maintaining two-way traffic, a broader traffic management view should be applied. Under such circumstances, contra-flow lanes for cyclists should generally be provided. Refer also to Section 4.3.5 - Contra Flow Cycle Lanes and Tracks of the National Cycle Manual.
    • Adjusting signal timings at busy crossing locations to reduce queuing for pedestrians, including possible automation

Finally, parking
    • Close off on-street parking spaces and loading areas (as per Figure 3.3). With regard to loading areas, alternative locations should be provided to service the particular areas, with directions and signposting provided where appropriate. With regard to car parking, directions should be provided to edge of centre or other alternative facilities within walking/ cycling distance and/or public transport (see below).
    • Provide ‘Park and Stride’ facilities on the edges of centre (or in close proximity to other destinations such as schools and parks), where people make the first part of their journey by car, park on the edge of a centre, and make the final part of their journey by foot, bicycle or via public transport. This will greatly reduce congestion in centres, enabling space for the expansion of the pedestrian/cyclist environment (as well as prioritising public transport movement).

Some of the mentioned figures for reference

517762.jpg

517763.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Great news for local businesses if the parking is replaced by cycle & pedestrian ways.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Great news for local businesses if the parking is replaced by cycle & pedestrian ways.

Yeah because making it difficult for the far greater county population than city (and surrounding counties) to get into the city and shop is going to improve business.

This sort of thing will destroy the city, people will just shop online or go to Athlon/shopping centres outside Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Yeah because making it difficult for the far greater county population than city (and surrounding counties) to get into the city and shop is going to improve business.

This sort of thing will destroy the city, people will just shop online or go to Athlon/shopping centres outside Dublin.

This sounds like an argument from the mid-90s against the pedestrianisation of Shop Street. :confused:

People like you will, off you go, no big loss. Cyclists & pedestrians spend up to 40% more than motorists.

Shopping molls are probably more your type of thing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Didn't seem to destroy Suffolk St in Dublin, where retailers got a 15% increase in sales after pedestrianisation.

People like you will, off you go, no big loss. Cyclists & pedestrians spend up to 40% more than motorists.

Shopping molls are probably more your type of thing anyway.

Yup and just to provide some background to that figure, see the attached analysis conducted by Transport for London

There's only 29 slides, of which I think 24 contain actual information. I'd recommend anyone with an interest in mobility in galway to have a look. Its backed up by a mountain of legitimate research, all of which is referenced within it.

For example, it contains such nuggets as

517784.jpg

517785.jpg

517787.jpg

and just to finish with

517788.jpg

Didn't seem to destroy Suffolk St in Dublin, where retailers got a 15% increase in sales after pedestrianisation.

Fake news would be my take on that.

There are approx 180k people in county Galway, the vast majority of who use cars to get into the city. That’s more than twice the population of the city (and even in the city large numbers rely on their car for shopping trips etc) so how you can say with a straight face making it more difficult for thousands of people to shop in the city will increase the money taken in shops I can only laugh.

I already do very little shopping in Galway bar the shopping centres on the outskirts (which is food mostly) as it’s just a pain when you can’t park close by to where you are going and if I buy stuff I want to be able to put it in the car and continue my shopping not carrying stuff. Going to the city centre for me is for the pub as that doesn’t involve the car.

Without a car my spending in Galway would be 0.

There are approx 180k people in county Galway, the vast majority of who use cars to get into the city. That’s more than twice the population of the city (and even in the city large numbers rely on their car for shopping trips etc) so how you can say with a straight face making it more difficult for thousands of people to shop in the city will increase the money taken in shops I can only laugh.

I always do very little shopping in Galway bar the shopping centres on the outskirts (which is food mostly) as it’s just a pain when you can’t park close by to where you are going and if I buy stuff I want to be able to put it in the car and continue my shopping not carrying stuff. Going to the city centre for me is for the pub as that doesn’t involve the car.

Yes indeed Nox, I mean I've ever seen anyone walking the town carrying bags, nobody has, doesn't happen, fake news, just fake.

180000 don't regularly descend on the city to shop at once, anyone coming from West of the city will also still always shop in Galway. Those in the south have better access to Limerick and in the east Athlone is easier. There's plenty of parking and space for those who do shop in town. Saturday is the busiest shopping day still and there are next to no traffic issues those days. Making the city centre a more pleasant space for shoppers, tourists and citizens can only be a good thing.

Again Nox, you're an outlier in this scenario.

I always do very little shopping in Galway bar the shopping centres on the outskirts (which is food mostly) as it’s just a pain when you can’t park close by to where you are going and if I buy stuff I want to be able to put it in the car and continue my shopping not carrying stuff. Going to the city centre for me is for the pub as that doesn’t involve the car.

Without a car my spending in Galway would be 0.

Thanks, above points proven. Car drivers spend less in the city and the moll rats will alway go to the molls. Bring on the cycleway, get rid of the parking spaces.

Thanks, above points proven. Car drivers spend less in the city and the moll rats will alway go to the molls. Bring on the cycleway, get rid of the parking spaces.

What’s a moll? Never heard of one.

I would spend more money in the city centre if it was easier to park there that is a fact. How can you spend money when you can’t get to a place easily?

Apologies, I meant mall. A beige shopping centre, soulless, air conditioned models with electronic walkways, escalators, piped beige music, bland shops like Tommy Hilfigure with beige clothing, beige multi national canteen food, free parking for florid faced, out of breath men in comfortable cars.
    I would spend more money in the city centre if it was easier to park there that is a fact. How can you spend money when you can’t get to a place easily?

Very well, but cyclists and pedestrians spend more and city centre retail businesses want big spenders, not little spenders. That is a fact. Your infamous nights out without the car incurs hundreds of Euro spent, proof that you, as a pedestrian spend more than you do when you visit the city in your car. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

How many car parks does the city need? Plenty of multi story car parks on each approach, ie Debenhams, Jury’s, Merchants Road. Plenty of surface car parks at dyke road, cathedral, docks?

Plenty of car parks. It’s the paying for them that seems to be the issue with many preferring the ‘ok to park here’ lights on a double yellow line.

Apologies, I meant mall. A beige shopping centre, soulless, air conditioned models with electronic walkways, escalators, piped beige music, bland shops like Tommy Hilfigure with beige clothing, beige multi national canteen food, free parking for florid faced, out of breath men in comfortable cars.

Oh a mall, I know what that is and nothing wrong with them. Your looking down on them is laughable. Also Tommy Hilfiger is one of the shops that actually brings me into Galway city centre shopping as we have one on shop street. I shop there often, they make great clothes.
    Very well, but cyclists and pedestrians spend more and city centre retail businesses want big spenders, not little spenders. That is a fact. Your infamous nights out without the car incurs hundreds of Euro spent, proof that you, as a pedestrian spend more than you do when you visit the city in your car. ;)

How do you think I get into the city when I go on the beer? I either drive in, park right in the city centre, and get a taxi or lift home and get a lift in car back in the next day to collect my car or get a lift in (in a car) and a taxi or lift home (in cars).

• Advertisement

Going to the city centre for me is for the pub as that doesn’t involve the car
    How do you think I get into the city when I go on the beer? I either drive in, park right in the city centre, and get a taxi or lift home and get a lift in car back in the next day to collect my car or get a lift in (in a car) and a taxi or lift home (in cars).

You're dynamic story telling is catching up with you! Stick with the truth, lies bite you on the bum, you'll always get caught out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement