Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

FitzShane wrote: »
    Don't think it even had a timetable.

They still dont seem to operate to a timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I hope that the GMIT intersection re-design includes some big bus shelters - you could call it more of a hub than a shelter. (I have no idea if this is iin the plan or not, but there's plenty of GMIT owned land there to to it.

Similarly at Parkmore: Merit Medical currently have a planning application in to put a pedestrian access beside the current bus shelter. If the county council had a clue, they'd make a couple of large shelters part of the deal.

Someone asked when the council took responsibility for shelters. I checked my news announcements, and found one from 2009 which said they were about to start installing shelters on routes 9 (now called 409) and 33. But I remember standing in the rain & snow at Parkmore in 2010, so must have it taken a while.

Ya agree GMIT is really a HUB. Heavily used by both Bus Eireann and Private Operators.
    Thats interesting re Merit Medical, strange it was not part of the planning when they extended the car park there 2 months ago.?
    I think Bus Eireann might have been a bit difficult in 2010 about handing over control to the Council at that time. The GTU had only been setup in 2009

zell12 wrote: »
    Neither included
    ykGeVAQ.jpg?1

Are there other phases of this Bus Shelter roll out published yet zell12?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

zell12 wrote: »
    Neither included
    ykGeVAQ.jpg?1

No such place as "Newcastle road Upper".

Corrib Village bus stop is on Upper Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Parkmore East is county council, probably don't give a f**k about city bus routes

martinkop wrote: »
    Parkmore East is county council, probably don't give a f**k about city bus routes

Parkmore West is in the City. Same bus stop used by both Parkmore West/East. Bus facilities could do with improving for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Not sure if this is the right topic but here goes.

If you see or have dashcam footage of an example of dangerous/reckless driving should you contact the Guards directly at one of their Galway stations or is there a central service to contact?

grbear wrote: »

If you see or have dashcam footage of an example of dangerous/reckless driving should you contact the Guards directly at one of their Galway stations or is there a central service to contact?
    Can do either.
    Traffic Watch is the national/central service one
    https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/road-safety/traffic-watch.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

grbear wrote: »

https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/road-safety/traffic-watch.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I spotted some talk of new bus shelters above and spotted this on FB.
    13 New Bus Shelters for Galway City
    Following engagement with Galway City Councillors and bus operators, an assessment of proposed new bus shelter locations has taken place, and funding for 13 locations was approved by the National Transport Authority.
    Shelters will be provided at:
    Crestwood Estate (Menlo); Castlepark Road (Rahyln Glebe, Clareview Park, Castlepark); Shangort Road; Ballymoneen Road; Knocknacarra Road; Barna Road; Bóthar le Chéile; Thomas Hynes Road; Newcastle Road Upper; Costello Road; and Colmcille Road.
    Galway City Council Transport Department intend to seek additional funding for bus shelters on an annual basis.
    TFI - Transport for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I heard it was chaos in town on Friday to do with the Black Friday sales, one of my mates spent an hour and a half in traffic coming from the Headford road to Salthill.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I heard it was chaos in town on Friday to do with the Black Friday sales, one of my mates spent an hour and a half in traffic coming from the Headford road to Salthill.

Heading home from work at 5pm (travelling west to east direction) traffic was fairly light for a Friday I thought. Only hold up was a tail back at the lights with the tuam road junction down bothar na dtreabh but it moved relatively fast. Other routes may have been worse but thinks didn't sound too bad on Gbay fm traffic reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,218 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Traffic unusually light again this Friday morning
    Any opinions on what is causing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

A lot of people using up remaining annual leave this time of year. Big night for Christmas parties too, take the day off and get into town early for a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    A lot of people using up remaining annual leave this time of year. Big night for Christmas parties too, take the day off and get into town early for a few drinks.

Drunk women in their 40s and 50s walking around the city with no shoes on, falling around the place with the leftovers of burger meal on their dress.

I avoid town for pints like the plague at this time o year

Colleges are winding up too less people on the road along with people taking days off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Traffic lights out at the wellpark junction today and just a few cones out.....a recipe for a bad accident.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Traffic is mad. Twenty four minutes from jury's to eyre square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Traffic is mad. Twenty four minutes from jury's to eyre square

Was that long ago?... Please god traffic won't be too bad this week with as mentioned before workers taking holidays and the schools off...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

jk23 wrote: »
    Was that long ago?... Please god traffic won't be too bad this week with as mentioned before workers taking holidays and the schools off...

Had just arrived at eyre square when I posted.. Late for work for me.. Not a sign of anyone at the lights..

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Used the Park and Ride from Ballybrit yesterday for the first time.
    Great experience.
    Efficient and comfortable, and no stress, which is the real seller.
    We will use it again.

Good to see that it was very busy, with a full car park.

Lights still out this morning at g hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

One man with a stepladder getting lights going at the g .
    No gardai on traffic duty all weekend there .
    It seems lights are now back operating ....
    We just have to wait for the " cone man" to take away the cones.
    WHAT A ****FEST GALWAY IS ... And they expect companies and people to come here to do business .
    A joke of a city ....operates like a country village .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Took me 30 minutes to get from the hospital to the Headford road at 12 o clock. What a sh*t show!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,218 ✭✭✭✭zell12

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Took me 30 minutes to get from the hospital to the Headford road at 12 o clock. What a sh*t show!
    Don't knock yourself. That's a normal paced walk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

aw wrote: »
    Used the Park and Ride from Ballybrit yesterday for the first time.
    Great experience.
    Efficient and comfortable, and no stress, which is the real seller.
    We will use it again.

Good to see that it was very busy, with a full car park.

It’s a great service. The only problem I found is that if you have a lot of stuff to bring home or big bulky stuff it’s hard to carry them on the bus.
    If you are just going in to town tipping around it’s fantastic service and definitely the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It’s a great service. The only problem I found is that if you have a lot of stuff to bring home or big bulky stuff it’s hard to carry them on the bus.
    If you are just going in to town tipping around it’s fantastic service and definitely the way to go

Do they not open the luggage doors?

Delivery Depot Service
    If we ever get a permanent Park and Rides might be a service that could be considered.

• Advertisement

Delivery Depot Service
    If we ever get a permanent Park and Rides might be a service that could be considered.

Or just drive into town and park where you can load up your stuff.

The hoops people what others to jump through is mind numbing. I wouldn't use park and ride if I was paid to, needless hassle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement