Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Pedestrians getting in the way of a car is the cause of them getting killed not the cars speed. If they ran out onto the motorway would you blame speed?

Nobody will have any heed whatsoever in them anyway myself included, I have little heed in the current ones as things stand.
    Of course you don't Nox but you also advocate drink driving so who is going to take you seriously. Nobody, studies have found.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Of course you don't Nox but you also advocate drink driving so who is going to take you seriously. Nobody, studies have found.

Have you a link to these studies?

What would the title even be “ do the users of a falling boards.ie take nox seriously”

30k gaining traction even with the lad who was going to sort out the ring road

https://twitter.com/olliecrowe_ie/status/1276493398120120320?s=20

Have you a link to these studies?

What would the title even be “ do the users of a falling boards.ie take nox seriously”

Whoosh....the sound of sarcasm flying right over your head!

Why are pedestrians and cyclists putting in the middle of the road? If they weren’t they wouldn’t be in any danger regardless of a cars speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Why are pedestrians and cyclists putting in the middle of the road? If they weren’t they wouldn’t be in any danger regardless of a cars speed.

Cyclists are on the road because of a lack of segregated cycle lanes...

While they're on the road, it's safest to maintain an assertive position so drivers will overtake properly instead of squeezing past and you're not weaving around drains. Also more time to react to getting doored from on-street parking.

Pedestrians getting in the way of a car is the cause of them getting killed not the cars speed. If they ran out onto the motorway would you blame speed?

Nobody will have any heed whatsoever in them anyway myself included, I have little heed in the current ones as things stand.

So no evidence then?

So no evidence then?

Evidence of what, it impossible to easily give you a link as the RSA nonsense speed kills rubbish is all you will find. Just read the motors forum and actually look into accidents that happen and read up on stuff and you will see that speed has little to do with crashes. Being on the wrong side of the road, driving out in front of people, driving inappropriately for the conditions etc are what is causing crashes.

Evidence of what, it impossible to easily give you a link as the RSA nonsense speed kills rubbish is all you will find. Just read the motors forum and actually look into accidents that happen and read up on stuff and you will see that speed has little to do with crashes. Being on the wrong side of the road, driving out in front of people, driving inappropriately for the conditions etc are what is causing crashes.

I did, many, many studies on it. I can provide you 10-15 links if you'd like or you can click the link in my earlier post and read the studies yourself.

Simple fact is studies all over the world have shown that reduced speeds for motorists lead to reduced fatalities and serious injuries for pedestrians & cyclists.

You may not like it nox, and thats fine, there's very little you seem to like that is not related to you enjoying your motor and thats ok. Meanwhile everyone else will go about their lives with less risk.

As to why this is being done, maybe this will help you understand why cyclists, for example, need this.

517910.jpg

Being on the wrong side of the road, driving out in front of people, driving inappropriately for the conditions etc are what is causing crashes.

... all of which you have less time to react to when travelling at higher speeds!

• Advertisement

I did, many, many studies on it. I can provide you 10-15 links if you'd like or you can click the link in my earlier post and read the studies yourself.

Simple fact is studies all over the world have shown that reduced speeds for motorists lead to reduced fatalities and serious injuries for pedestrians & cyclists.

You may not like it nox, and thats fine, there's very little you seem to like that is not related to you enjoying your motor and thats ok. Meanwhile everyone else will go about their lives with less risk.

As to why this is being done, maybe this will help you understand why cyclists, for example, need this.

517910.jpg

Which is why my kids would be in the jeep and not on the bike.
    blueshark2 wrote: »
    ... all of which you have less time to react to when travelling at higher speeds!

Our speed limits were set when cars were junk compared to nowadays and are far too slow for the capabilities of a modern car.

Our speed limits were set when cars were junk compared to nowadays and are far too slow for the capabilities of a modern car.

Yet 148 people died on Irish roads last year.

It's the capabilities of the drivers that are of more concern than the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cyclists are on the road because they're cycling on the road, as they are legally supposed to be. Pedestrians are on the road because there is no footpath, or because they are crossing the road, as they are legally supposed to be.

But nice victim-blaming there. Would you like to meet up with the families of the ten year old boy in Carlow, or the 30-ish cyclist in Limerick killed by the teen driver in Limerick and tell them exactly they are to blame for their own deaths?

Yet 148 people died on Irish roads last year.

It's the capabilities of the drivers that are of more concern than the cars.

Exactly, bad driving. Virtually nothing to do with speed.

Cyclists are on the road because they're cycling on the road, as they are legally supposed to be. Pedestrians are on the road because there is no footpath, or because they are crossing the road, as they are legally supposed to be.

But nice victim-blaming there. Would you like to meet up with the families of the ten year old boy in Carlow, or the 30-ish cyclist in Limerick killed by the teen driver in Limerick and tell them exactly they are to blame for their own deaths?

Of course these are tragedy’s and I would have the utmost sympathy for the family but you can’t automatically assume the person who hit them is to blame. But you will as your have bizarre views and appear to have devoted your life hating cars and everything they stand for.

Reaction times.

So would you agree that a bad driver doing 80km/hr is more dangerous than one doing 30km/hr?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Of course these are tragedy’s and I would have the utmost sympathy for the family but you can’t automatically assume the person who hit them is to blame. But you will as your have bizarre views and appear to have devoted your life hating cars and everything they stand for.

You've done exactly what you've accused me of - automatically assumed that the person hit was to blame.

Can you point to many specific examples of cyclists or pedestrians that are to blame for their own deaths? I'm aware of a tiny handful of such cases, but maybe you know more than me. Some specifics please?

Don't know where you got the 'car-hating' thing from. I've used the car once today to pick up kids, and will probably do the same a couple of times tomorrow.

30k gaining traction even with the lad who was going to sort out the ring road

https://twitter.com/olliecrowe_ie/status/1276493398120120320?s=20

Well, the two things aren’t mutually exclusive. You could even say they’re mutually beneficial.

The ring road would provide space for the increased foot traffic that the 30km/h limit would facilitate.

The 30km limit would force car-drivers to choose between crawling through the city or heading up, around on the ring road & back in. Many would consider that too much hassle & walk/bus instead.

It’d be a tall order to ask west Galway & south connemara traffic to reduce to 30km/h when they’re heading over the bicentennial though.

The 30km limit would force car-drivers to choose between crawling through the city or heading up, around on the ring road & back in.

The lower limits in urban areas actually have minimal impact on journey times, less than you'd expect.

Dublin City Council introduced 30kph around the canal area and are now looking to expand it...

They "measured journey times for cars travelling at 50km/h and 30km/h across the canal area and found that the lower speed limit adds less than a minute to journeys of 2.5km."

When introduced in Germany they were seeing just 20 seconds added to average journey times.

It results in a smoother flow of traffic through built up areas. I agree BnT/bridge 50 limit shouldn't been reduced (it has cycle lanes off the road and pedestrian crossing points at the junctions) and I don't think BnT/bridge would be included in such a plan anyway.

• Advertisement

They "measured journey times for cars travelling at 50km/h and 30km/h across the canal area and found that the lower speed limit adds less than a minute to journeys of 2.5km."

Just to add to that - Galway City centre is tiny. The big Tesco across town to Joyces on Father Griffin Road is 1.9km. UCHG across town to Connacht Rugby is 2.5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

A 30k limit is just lipstick on a pig unless it is actively policed. The enforcement of speed limits is something that needs serious reform. The carry on of occasionally having a speed van hiding behind a ditch somewhere being the primary way of deterring speeding isn't working. The technology is there to support average speed camera setups along stretches of road. Implement that and put the money raised towards making things better for other commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

No big change really. During most peak times the traffic moves at less than that speed anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No big change really. During most peak times the traffic moves at less than that speed anyway

Peak time is only a few hours a day, so irrelevant.

A 30km limit is silly on many roads, as they are currently engineered, when it's quiet.

The route DCC are taking is that basically every road within their boundaries will be 30k with only a few exceptions.

In other words, there needs to be exceptionally strong justification for a road/street to have a limit higher than 30k.

Just to add to that - Galway City centre is tiny. The big Tesco across town to Joyces on Father Griffin Road is 1.9km. UCHG across town to Connacht Rugby is 2.5km.

And yet, it carries 75% of all the routes from West Galway & Connemara to East Galway & beyond....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

And in the one hour between 8 and 9 am over 3000 journeys are made over the quincentenary bridge alone

And in the one hour between 8 and 9 am over 3000 journeys are made over the quincentenary bridge alone

At its widest the Ireland is about 280 km. At its longest it is 486 km.

Is there a Galway City boards quiz team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Looking forward to seeing businesses in the these streets receive deliveries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement