Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

Looking forward to seeing businesses in the these streets receive deliveries.

Let’s face it, Forster St is a disaster of a street. It had a three hour bus lane, which was never enforced. The loading bays are alway defacto car parks, so I’d say deliveries already have problems there.
    I wouldn’t knock it before it’s been given a chance. M Crowe also tweeted today that Eglinton St/ Francis st will be a bus/ public transport only street in the next weeks. As with everything else in society at the moment, business will have to adapt. Council has to start somewhere, I hope they are brave enough to push on with the development of pedestrian/ cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,801 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's in the Transport Strategy for years
    id6aDut.jpg?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

blueshark2 wrote: »

Is there a Galway City boards quiz team?

What would the dream team be? I call bumble, nox, Ben & biko on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What would the dream team be? I call bumble, nox, Ben & biko on mine

Only if it's on in Murtys.

Dinner at 9.30?

• Advertisement

And in the one hour between 8 and 9 am over 3000 journeys are made over the quincentenary bridge alone

3000 seems low, I’d have thought multiples of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

"Temporary"

No more temporary than the cones on the prom

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It must have a vast car park right outside the front door then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

3000 seems low, I’d have thought multiples of that.

It cant carry anymore and is operating way over its design capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

ratracer wrote: »
    M Crowe also tweeted today that Eglinton St/ Francis st will be a bus/ public transport only street in the next weeks.

Pushing more traffic down nuns island and dominic street doesnt sound like a solution to anything.

• Advertisement

Only buses, taxis & cyclists will be permitted to turn right at the Town Hall when approaching from the Salmon Weir Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Meaning Newtownsmith onto Mary street is going to be a pain in the hole.

A dog would have more intelligence than the people coming up with these anti-car proposals, going to ruin the city if they happen. An absolute joke.

If they do happen I can see massive pressure leading to a U turn fairly fast, the about of hardship they are going to cause is off the charts.

A dog would have more intelligence than the people coming up with these anti-car proposals, going to ruin the city if they happen. An absolute joke.

If they do happen I can see massive pressure leading to a U turn fairly fast, the about of hardship they are going to cause is off the charts.

The biggest change will occur once the new pedestrian/cycling bridge is built beside the salmon weir bridge.

Once that opens University Road, Salmon Weir, Nuns Island, Eglinton Street and Eyre Square will be no go areas for private motorists.

I'm not 100% sure of the sequence i.e. which will be closed off first, but the key piece is the new bridge which will be going to ABP this month.

They can, of course, proceed with those changes now without the new bridge and they might just do that. Have to wait and see I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

City direct still haven't restarted services, it's not like people have alternatives to go to . BE should just take over their routes FT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

zell12 wrote: »
    It's in the Transport Strategy for years
    id6aDut.jpg?1

The council are woeful at communication. The regular Joe on the street doesn't know the details of their strategic plans. If they start to implement parts of their plans they should run an information campaign alongside it.

Otherwise people just think they're randomly closing off lanes of traffic and get pissed off. They also don't reply to any questions on their posts on social media. There was no mention of the transport strategy on their recent post for Forster or Eglington Street, but it does seem to fit what you've posted.

City needs more cycle lanes

City needs more cycle lanes

No it doesn't, it needs more bus lanes and the outer ring road as I sure as crap ain't cycling on a day like to today.

That new pedestrian bridge planned by court house is a waste of money, should be a road bridge.

Laviski wrote: »
    No it doesn't, it needs more bus lanes and the outer ring road as I sure as crap ain't cycling on a day like to today.

That new pedestrian bridge planned by court house is a waste of money, should be a road bridge.

Plenty of people out cycling today

Pedestrian bridge is necessary

Plenty of people out cycling today

Pedestrian bridge is necessary

Good for few of them out there, but they ain't the majority out there. If you had someone doing a survey it would show real facts rather than your rose tinted glasses.

Old salmon weir bridge can be pedestrianised once new road bridge made. It would take away the serious harzard of trucks and busses making that hairpin junction. Unless safety and free flow is of no concern to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Good for few of them out there, but they ain't the majority out there. If you had someone doing a survey it would show real facts rather than your rose tinted glasses.

Old salmon weir bridge can be pedestrianised once new road bridge made. It would take away the serious harzard of trucks and busses making that hairpin junction. Unless safety and free flow is of no concern to you
    Think the new bridge is to be for pedestrians while the old one will be for vehicles. Seems like a strange choice but its part of a wider plan for the area so maybe it'll make sense in that context

xckjoo wrote: »
    Think the new bridge is to be for pedestrians while the old one will be for vehicles. Seems like a strange choice but its part of a wider plan for the area so maybe it'll make sense in that context

It's called being cheap and short sighted. Council only plan for stuff that was needed 20 years ago for today. and not forward plan for what will be needed in 5/10/15 years. It's Ireland in a nutshell.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

New bridge should be for traffic to straighten up the road. Salmon Weir Bridge could then be made pedestrian/cyclist only. Seems mad to me that they wouldn't want to take the bend out of the road there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Once that opens University Road, Salmon Weir, Nuns Island, Eglinton Street and Eyre Square will be no go areas for private motorists.

I wonder what the residents of Nuns Island and University Rd will have to say about that!

blueshark2 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be one or the other?

You really naive to think they could do both or more???

Problem always comes down to funding. I'm stating what should be first and implemented asap. If funding allows then by all means expand but I live in the real world. Ireland is a third world country when it comes to planning and execution of said plan within budget.

Furthermore they are planning new pedestrian bridge where the old railway track was, then a couple a meters down build another, how does anyone not see this is as poor forward thinking especially that pedestrians will still be allowed to use the road bridge also....

Problem always comes down to funding.

But there is a % chunk of funding reserved for cycle infrastructure now in the new program for government, it can't be used for roads... why not tap into that?

Eglinton Street by September :):)
    vaCAzuq.png

I wonder what the residents of Nuns Island and University Rd will have to say about that!

Or the unmitigated disaster it will be with all traffic travelling east- west or west east having to use the bridge and the majority having to use Newcastle road.

It’s absolute insanity, if you are at the hospital and want to go to the cathedral or shopping centre you have to drive half way around the city, anyone coming into the city going to the cathedral will have to drive half way around the city. Actually now that I think of it how are people supposed to actually drive to the cathedral at all?? Not just for the facility itself but also since it’s a very important car park for people working in the city.

I really cannot see these plans happing when people realise the absolute joke they are a stop will be put to them. They haven’t been thought through whatsoever by anyone with brain cells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Or the unmitigated disaster it will be with all traffic travelling east- west or west east having to use the bridge and the majority having to use Newcastle road.

It’s absolute insanity, if you are at the hospital and want to go to the cathedral or shopping centre you have to drive half way around the city, anyone coming into the city going to the cathedral will have to drive half way around the city. Actually now that I think of it how are people supposed to actually drive to the cathedral at all?? Not just for the facility itself but also since it’s a very important car park for people working in the city.

I really cannot see these plans happing when people realise the absolute joke they are a stop will be put to them. They haven’t been thought through whatsoever by anyone with brain cells.

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement