Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,828 ✭✭✭✭zell12

blueshark2 wrote: »
    city-transport-plan.jpg
    We built the church on a roundabout, so enthralled to the car we are

zell12 wrote: »
    We built the church on a roundabout, so enthralled to the car we are

It does indicate "at specific times" for the car ban on salmon weir in that image. Which would make you think they may do like Patrick street in cork and have it open at peak times and closed for a period in the afternoon.

What exactly would you see a plaza down there used for?

Selling rosary beads!

Plaza's have a multitude of uses. See Eyre Square, the Fish Market etc for examples
    I think they mean the area where the new bridge joins. The transport strategy document I was looking at has that road closed off and the road on the other (west) side of the Cathedral car park becoming two-way with the car park being maintained.

EDIT: From a 2018 City Tribune article on a draft plan...

city-transport-plan.jpg

Cheers for that, the plaza area makes more sense now, though the car park doesn't. If access to Nun's island is local only access, and University rd is closed to private cars, how does one access what remains of that car park? Unless its planned to be a FAS/Uni only car park which would make some sense.

But I'm guessing the plans have changed since that image was generated as the new bridge is a lot further away from the Salmon Weir. In that image they look to be almost side-by-side though maybe something is lost in the scale, not sure

518234.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Today, there is not a single business that would advocate for a return to cars on that street

True, when you consider that very few businesses are left there now other than pubs, cafes, phone shops and UK multiples.
    There is little doubt in my mind that the current and future changes planned for mobility in Galway city will further improve the mobility situation for all (except motorists).

motorists aren't people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

<...> University rd is closed to private cars<...>

I don't think it will be, is that in the plan?

I think it just naturally stops being a cross-city route as private cars can't go beyond the bridge?
    But I'm guessing the plans have changed since that image was generated as the new bridge is a lot further away from the Salmon Weir.

Yeah that's an old article, early draft I'd say. There was talk of that walkway hanging off the Salmon Weir bridge like at Jury's at one point.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, the plaza area makes more sense now, though the car park doesn't. If access to Nun's island is local only access, and University rd is closed to private cars, how does one access what remains of that car park? Unless its planned to be a FAS/Uni only car park which would make some sense.

If university road is closed to cars how can you access the cathedral? There is no way on earth the cathedral will not be accessible by car.

The term local access is likely to mean "no through road" rather than applying to people who live there. So you can still drive on university road to access the university, boat club, cathedral and parking. Still stupid though considering its a far shorter drive over the salmon weir bridge.

Edit: A large multistory car park at the current cathedral car park giving a large increase in parking would be very beneficial for any new development in the area.

I don't think it will be, is that in the plan?

Its in the GTS as far as I can recall.

Just double checked the GTS

University Rd will be limited to local/time specific access, so what kind of restriction that means in reality, I'm not sure.

Sections 4.2, 4.3 & 4.4 of the GTS (pages 44-49) deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think they mean the area where the new bridge joins. The transport strategy document I was looking at has that road closed off and the road on the other (west) side of the Cathedral car park becoming two-way with the car park being maintained.

EDIT: From a 2018 City Tribune article on a draft plan...

city-transport-plan.jpg

Have had to park at the Cathedral before due to no parking at the hospital. Would imagine this plan would also just make traffic even worse...

Hopefully they have a plan to ease the traffic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

A large multistory car park at the current cathedral car park giving a large increase in parking would be very beneficial for any new development in the area.

I don't think large multi storey car parks are a good idea here as it really stands out. I think a better approach would be a lot more underground car parks with actual parks or plazas placed on top. With electric cars in the future they could be easily kitted out with chargers.

In my town in Leiden we have this in the city centre. You wouldn't even know it was there. It's honestly a good approach, cars are not encouraged but they are facilitated, if you want to drive into the city, you can, no problem, but you will be paying for parking. I think it's fair enough.

eVMX4uf.jpg?1

UhxLaPx.jpg?1

Who says the elderly can't use bikes as a form of transport, here's 2 Galway ladies in their mid 70's

518275.jpg

518276.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If university road is closed and so is the salmon weir. How do you get to nuns island? . If you live in woodquay and need to get to A&E do you have to go over the bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Cycling should be a safe option for anyone that wants to do it. Much like walking. At the moment both are curtailed as we've targeted most of our transport infrastructure at private car usage. Don't think anyone is suggesting forcing people to cycle anywhere.

IMO is should be prioritised in favour of 1) safety, 2) efficiency and 3) flexibility. So to me the order of priority should be 1) walking (including wheelchair users and similar), 2) cycling, 3) public transport (would put this ahead of cycling if it wasn't for the fact that cyclists are more vulnerable and have better flexibility), 4) taxis, etc. and finally 4) private car usage. I also think local access should be maintained in terms of whatever means of transport is necessary for your current state of health. So if you're sick, someone should be able to pick you up from your house and drop you off again. If that's what you need. But you should also be ale to safely leave your house and walk or cycle somewhere even if you have reduced mobility. Exercise is a major factor for good health and studies have found that older people afraid to leave their houses on short walks suffer rapid declines in physical and cognitive well-being.

This is the newly installed bus gates in operation in Waterford

This is what will be coming to the Salmon Weird Bridge or Eglington Street once the new cycling/walking bridge is opened in 2022

The second video shows what happens when a car approaches it

https://twitter.com/Cowa19942/status/1279050412243460103?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Who says the elderly can't use bikes as a form of transport

I don't know. Perhaps you could reply directly to the person you think did.

Cross Street will be pedestrianised starting Monday 6th July
    Eglinton and Francis Street will have access restrictions by private car access towards Eyre Square while still allowing buses, taxis and cyclists.

Chaotic scenes due :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Set up a camera and watch the fun unfold.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-council-asked-to-reconsider-park-and-ride-service-at-galway-airport-site/

City Council asked to reconsider park and ride service at Galway Airport site

A park and ride service at Galway airport was previously trialed unsuccessfully – because the lack of a dedicated bus lane lead to increased traffic congestion.

However, City Councillor Alan Cheevers argues that the airport is the ideal location for the service, because it is ready built with over 300 parking spaces but he says a dedicated bus lane must be installed to make the service more efficient.

The penny finally drops

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

A bus service without bus lanes is an Irish solution to an Irish problem .
    Bus lanes from knocknacarra to parkmore and same return , with buses leaving every 15 minutes .
    That's how you will get people from their cars to buses .
    Also a direct line from knocknacarra to parkmore ... Not 20 bus stops on the way with people paying cash .
    Get people to drive to zones ... Park up ... Get a direct bus .
    Parking and bus for €5 return .

Tuam bypass is going to have some closures this week

"The intention is to close the Northbound carriageway between the roundabout with the N83 at either end of the bypass on Monday, followed by the Southbound carriageway on Tuesday.
    Monday’s road closure will take place between 9am and 4pm, while the southbound carriageway closure on Tuesday will last from 8am to 6pm"

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/transport/tuam-bypass-closing-for-two-days-next-week/

Theres also going to be rolling junction closures on the M18 but in the evening so it probably won't have too much of an impact on traffic

"Monday will also see a series of rolling junction closures on the M18 motorway northbound carriageway for the removal and relaying of line marking.

The timing of the closures will be as follows:

Junction 17 Kiltiernan – 7pm
    Junction 18 Rathmorrissey northbound on-slips – 11pm
    Junction 19 Annagh Hill northbound on-slip – 11pm

Diversion routes will be signposted during these times.

All junctions are expected to reopen by 6am on Tuesday morning, if not sooner."

Cross street now closed to through traffic yay!

https://twitter.com/OwenHanleyLives/status/1280098751026204672?s=20

Middle Street next hopefully

• Advertisement

Having cars cross a pedestrianised street was silly anyway.

I saw cars flying through it without stopping loads of times, you'd think they'd have put those harsh speed bumps there to prevent that.

And I noticed a complete disregard of the stop sign outside Supermacs. Though I'd blame the council for that with the poor layout and weathered sign.

So at least these two issues have been cleared up.

It's a big plus for Naughtons as they can move their seating out. Also a big plus for the Front Door and the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Creating Galway's version of Dame Lane. Great.

Middle Street residents must be delighted with the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Having cars cross a pedestrianised street was silly anyway.

I saw cars flying through it without stopping loads of times, you'd think they'd have put those harsh speed bumps there to prevent that.

And I noticed a complete disregard of the stop sign outside Supermacs. Though I'd blame the council for that with the poor layout and weathered sign.

So at least these two issues have been cleared up.

It's a big plus for Naughtons as they can move their seating out. Also a big plus for the Front Door and the Dail.

Great, so pubs are happy and screw everyone else :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Space Dog

How would the residents on Augustine Street get to their houses if they drive? Guess it's their own fault for living in the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Space Dog wrote: »
    How would the residents on Augustine Street get to their houses if they drive? Guess it's their own fault for living in the city centre?

By using middle street and lower Abbeygate street to access Augustine street..?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Excellent. Long overdue.

What street is next?

6 wrote: »
    Excellent. Long overdue.

What street is next?

Restrictions are set to be rolled out for Eglinton and Francis St next

Excellent. Long overdue.
    What street is next?
    Phase 2: Middle Street anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Restrictions are set to be rolled out for Eglinton and Francis St next
    zell12 wrote: »
    Phase 2: Middle Street anyway

Great stuff. Are these changes permanant?

• Advertisement

Great stuff. Are these changes permanant?

Cross st is a temp change at first, to be reviewed and decision to be determined later

Eglington St & Francis st will have temp measures implemented with a view to permanent measures to follow at a later date (bus gates, new pedestrian & cycling infrastructure, street furniture etc). This falls under the GTS so was always going to happen, just they have moved things forward

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement