Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Cross street now closed to through traffic yay!

https://twitter.com/OwenHanleyLives/status/1280098751026204672?s=20

Middle Street next hopefully

I would point out there is a change in time of use as well... The loading time used to be until 10am... This was highly useful if you have a very quick job to do (i.e. drop or collect something into an office on these streets).

The traffic is light (i.e. peak time over and shopping traffic hasn't started), I would allow that window still to exist... It also allows trucks to get in before peak time and unload during and not have to come out on peak traffic to clear the road..

Creating Galway's version of Dame Lane. Great.

Middle Street residents must be delighted with the idea.

So how does that work for taxis... Already the taxi rank in front of Supermac's is a mess...

Pick ups are already crowded around Jurys and it is not that safe... Back of the Dail was popular especially mid week...

Middle is a strange one... Main problem is too many cars parked on it before we even start...

Note: A lot of the bar/rest staff in Galway park on the street at night for free. A fair few don't live in the city and there is no Public Transport for them to go home. Please consider them when looking at this issue.

Cross st is a temp change at first, to be reviewed and decision to be determined later

Eglington St & Francis st will have temp measures implemented with a view to permanent measures to follow at a later date (bus gates, new pedestrian & cycling infrastructure, street furniture etc). This falls under the GTS so was always going to happen, just they have moved things forward

Cross St... Good Idea making temp to start... Try stuff out before we lock in...

Before even starting I could never understand parking on Ellington St.
    I have various thoughts about Ellington St., if you make it fully Predsetrian, it could become a market area but I think the city would really be enhanced by a English Market type facility (very common on continent and really attracts footfall)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

No sign of our cycling loving " the council are useless/corrupt/disgrace" element giving a bit of praise to them for this action.

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Cross St... Good Idea making temp to start... Try stuff out before we lock in...

Before even starting I could never understand parking on Ellington St.
    I have various thoughts about Ellington St., if you make it fully Predsetrian, it could become a market area but I think the city would really be enhanced by a English Market type facility (very common on continent and really attracts footfall)...

It wont be fully pedestrainised but will be closed to private cars. Only buses, cyclists and pedestrians will be allowed down it. Not sure about taxis. I think they will be allowed, but not sure. I'm guessing Woodquay will eventually be pedestrianised and markets etc added there

It forms part of the "Cross-City Link" route.
    The Cross-City Link consists of a central corridor traversing the core city area, which will be restricted to use by public transport vechiles, pedestrians, cyclists and local access only. It will enable efficent and reliable public transport to and through the city center from University Road, across Salmon Weir Bridge, along Eglinton Street, around Eyre Square and along Forester Street and College Road.

519091.jpg

This link route, combined with the existing bus lanes, below, should see HUGE improvements in the travel times, frequency and reliability of bus routes around Galway city. Simply put, its frikkin awesome if you are a pedestrian, cyclist, bus or taxi user.

519092.jpg

That being said, the bus priority network will still need a lot of work following this to add similar priority measures to other routes, not just those using Seamus Quirke & Dublin roads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

No sign of our cycling loving " the council are useless/corrupt/disgrace" element giving a bit of praise to them for this action.

You're mixing up pro-cycling with anti-car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

westgolf wrote: »
    By using middle street and lower Abbeygate street to access Augustine street..?

Are you looking forward to seeing coffins rolled down Buttermilk Walk to get into the church?

All so some private business can use the public road to get richer by selling unhealthy food and taxis substances to people?

It wont be fully pedestrainised but will be closed to private cars. Only buses, cyclists and pedestrians will be allowed down it. Not sure about taxis. I think they will be allowed, but not sure. I'm guessing Woodquay will eventually be pedestrianised and markets etc added there

It forms part of the "Cross-City Link" route.

519091.jpg

This link route, combined with the existing bus lanes, below, should see HUGE improvements in the travel times, frequency and reliability of bus routes around Galway city. Simply put, its frikkin awesome if you are a pedestrian, cyclist, bus or taxi user.

519092.jpg

That being said, the bus priority network will still need a lot of work following this to add similar priority measures to other routes, not just those using Seamus Quirke & Dublin roads

The way I look at it... Trial it... Should not be permanent unless a major increase in PT/cycling usage...

Here is a question... Has Bus routes and timetables been beefed up to be able to take this traffic...

Is there one bus to get on to in Knocknacarra and stay on and arrive in Ballybrit or parkmore?

Will this make bus lanes carry more people than car lanes in peak hours?

I wish the answer is YES to all these. This would mean a improvement in the quality of life of Galway people but taking these roads and not using them properly is a waste. At the moment Westside's extra lane is a waste, hopefully this makes this better.
    The cycle lanes from Knocknacarra and Ballybrit would carry more if a car lane... Just look at the usage any fine morning never mind bad morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

city direct still refusing to restarting their services, BE should have taken their routes by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Space Dog

westgolf wrote: »
    By using middle street and lower Abbeygate street to access Augustine street..?

When Middle Street is also closed, which seems to be the next step?
    I guess they could change the one way system somehow...

• Advertisement

The way I look at it... Trial it... Should not be permanent unless a major increase in PT/cycling usage...

You don't get that increase unless it becomes the norm, as illustrated by the Doughiska route which became one of BE's most profitable and highest grequency routes in the country following the provision of bus lanes
    Here is a question... Has Bus routes and timetables been beefed up to be able to take this traffic...

That comes after the infrastructure. It would be pointless to do so before hand
    Is there one bus to get on to in Knocknacarra and stay on and arrive in Ballybrit or parkmore?

A route is planned once the infrastructure is completed, see the red route below

Knocknacarra - Salthill - City Center - Ballybrit - Parkmore Ind Est

519102.jpg
    Will this make bus lanes carry more people than car lanes in peak hours?

To be blunt, it depends on the frequency. As reported previously, bus usage increased by 50% or more due to the provision of bus priority infrastructure. As more infrastructure is provided it allows for higher frequency routes to the point where the time table becomes meaningless i.e. sub 10 minute frequency
    Only 10% of Galway City’s roads are dedicated bus lanes, which is causing a “serious deterioration” in Bus Éireann’s ability to fulfil its timetables.

Regional Manager Brian Connolly said that the company had become a victim of its own success – it was now increasingly unable to meet a growing demand, as the necessary infrastructure is not being provided.

“There are constant improvements coming into the network but, without priority measures, we are in danger of just having an increased level of resources caught up in the same traffic,” he said.
    I wish the answer is YES to all these. This would mean a improvement in the quality of life of Galway people but taking these roads and not using them properly is a waste. At the moment Westside's extra lane is a waste, hopefully this makes this better.
    The cycle lanes from Knocknacarra and Ballybrit would carry more if a car lane... Just look at the usage any fine morning never mind bad morning

Excuse me, taking these roads? From who? From the least efficient form of transport to vastly more efficient forms.

The reason it looks empty to you when you are sitting there stuck in traffic is due to the fact the bus can breeze past with a load of passengers

Also the Seamus Quirke rd bus lane was a newly added lane. It never "took" anything away. What that development allowed for was
    • Maintained existing capacity but
    • Added a bus lane
    • Added a segregated cycle lane
    • Added pedestrian crossings

A waste indeed!

BTW, you REALLY should have a read of the GTS document located here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Laviski wrote: »
    city direct still refusing to restarting their services, BE should have taken their routes by now.

That's a bit harsh, with current social distancing it will be hard for them to make money and at the end of the day they need to make a profit. I'm sure they are working on how best to get going again but for some business it will take longer to adapt so have some patience as i doubt they are "refusing" to restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

thats a bit harsh to the folks that relied on this getting into and from work or do their shopping. Also they have no problem running the Bus from merlin to UCHG but the folk in knocknacarra can get stuffed?

they took on bus routes to serve the public, they should be honoring it by now. If not move other let BE take over the routes, this shows the problem of when bus routes are in private hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The BE buses are operating are a higher capacity now also. It was one seat free and one seat covered in each row on Sunday.

Are you looking forward to seeing coffins rolled down Buttermilk Walk to get into the church?

All so some private business can use the public road to get richer by selling unhealthy food and taxis substances to people?

Or access business in the area for elderly/disabled. My grandmother uses a hairdresser in the area and she is unable walk more than a few metres. Blocking off these street will prevent her going to the hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Plan to reverse traffic flow on St Augustine St
    This will cut off Middle St completely and the car spaces will have parklets in them for the rest of the summer

"City officials urged to consult with Salthill traders over plan for cycling paths at Prom"
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-officials-urged-to-consult-with-salthill-traders-over-plan-for-cycling-paths-at-prom/
    Galway Bay fm newsroom – City officials have been urged to lead a full and detailed consultation with members of the Salthill Village committee over plans to introduce cycle lanes at the Prom.

The measure is being proposed on a temporary basis by the city mobility team in a bid to encourage cycling as part of the response to the COVID 19 pandemic.

Local area councillors met with Salthill traders on Sunday to discus their concerns over the resulting loss of an estimated 260 parking spaces along the Prom and at Seapoint.

At a meeting of the city council, Fianna Fail councillor Peter Keane passed a motion calling for consultation with the Salthill village committee.

He told Galway Talks that while local councillors support cycling infrastructure, it cannot be at the cost of local business at a time when many are struggling to keep their doors open.

He says options need to be discussed if a compromise is to be reached…

Some of the old-school businesses in Salthill must think that a reduction in car parking spots will reduce their business.

I think they could be shooting themselves in the foot if they delay the cycle lane rollout, I'd say Salthill will absolutely thrive as a seaside village with a cycle lane connected to the city.

It will become a "to do" thing for city tourists, rent a bike a visit Salthill. A lot of Galway's big student population have bikes and no cars, they don't venture out to Salthill as much as they could.

It'll allow potential for much more people to stop at Salthill. If they keep car-focused their limited by parking near the village.

Try it for a while, if the road side parking is badly missed then mark the prom one-way for motorists, reinstate parking in the spare lane and maintain the cycle lane.

blueshark2 wrote: »
    "City officials urged to consult with Salthill traders over plan for cycling paths at Prom"
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-officials-urged-to-consult-with-salthill-traders-over-plan-for-cycling-paths-at-prom/

Some of the old-school businesses in Salthill must think that a reduction in car parking spots will reduce their business.

I think they could be shooting themselves in the foot if they delay the cycle lane rollout, I'd say Salthill will absolutely thrive as a seaside village with a cycle lane connected to the city.

It will become a "to do" thing for city tourists, rent a bike a visit Salthill. A lot of Galway's big student population have bikes and no cars, they don't venture out to Salthill as much as they could.

It'll allow potential for much more people to stop at Salthill. If they keep car-focused their limited by parking near the village.

Try it for a while, if the road side parking is badly missed then mark the prom one-way for motorists, reinstate parking in the spare lane and maintain the cycle lane.

Saw this today, seems pretty apt

519145.png

The video below is of the street in Paris, 2012 vs 2020 after the massive rollout of cycling infrastructure across the city.

It not Galway, true, but it does highlight several things that are relevant to the past number of pages and illustrates very well what happens when a city prioritises people over cars

1. More people cycling = less people driving cars = less actual traffic = better driving experience for those with no other option
    2. Vastly higher throughput capacity

https://twitter.com/Jamesdestafford/status/1278735426312945664?s=19

Additional benefits not obvious from the video
    3. Health benefits
    4. More people = more customers for businesses
    5. More predictable commute for all commuters due to reduced traffic
    6. Cycling commuters = HUNGRY commuters = lots of busy cafes and restaurants
    7. Less pollution

All this comes about from providing protected infrastructure.

IMHO It's a no brainer really

• Advertisement

BTW, you REALLY should have a read of the GTS document located here

I have read it and I also read the one that came out in 2009 which said we will have 20% cycling and 20% Pub Transport by this stage...

Sorry. But I am asking for results... Saying built it and it will come didn't have work in 2009 plan. Can I ask what is the realistic target to increase cycling 4 fold and public transport 3 fold...

At the moment the car lane on westside carries far more than the Public transport and cycling combined... I am asking what are the realistic target..

I am also saying if we give those routes to buses and cyclists for 4 weeks what do you consider a success? These are not unreasonable requests, I am just not giving a blank acceptance to all things bike and bus...

We have a cycle lane from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit, why isn't that used?

I am not about not trying, I am willing to use trail and error... Cross street is a good idea, we should use it and see what happens... It is cheap, easy to put in place and if successful we can work on a permanent solution which would be better for everyone.

You know a lot of people from rural areas around the city drive into the city to walk the prom...

Peter Keane is right to ask why hasn't everyone been considered...

Again I say trail anything and see and see what happens..

The video below is of the street in Paris, 2012 vs 2020 after the massive rollout of cycling infrastructure across the city.

It not Galway, true, but it does highlight several things that are relevant to the past number of pages and illustrates very well what happens when a city prioritises people over cars

1. More people cycling = less people driving cars = less actual traffic = better driving experience for those with no other option
    2. Vastly higher throughput capacity

https://twitter.com/Jamesdestafford/status/1278735426312945664?s=19

Additional benefits not obvious from the video
    3. Health benefits
    4. More people = more customers for businesses
    5. More predictable commute for all commuters due to reduced traffic
    6. Cycling commuters = HUNGRY commuters = lots of busy cafes and restaurants
    7. Less pollution

All this comes about from providing protected infrastructure.

IMHO It's a no brainer really

Great.. Paris has some lovely weather...

What are realistic targets for cycling in Galway... 2009 when it was 4.8% (doing from memory), we were told 20%... Now it is 5.5%(I think again from memory, by the way highest outside Dublin), what is the actual realistic target...

Galway is a low population density city. Just over 1475 people per km2, Paris is 21,000 per km2... Could this be the reason with cycle lanes across the city are not being used... There is also topography, Galway has hills... The weather isn't the best, a lot of rain and even more wind...

Now tell us what is the realistic target?

Some of the old-school businesses in Salthill must think that a reduction in car parking spots will reduce their business..

It will most certainly cause them to lose business. I drive to salthill for lunch fairly regularly, if I can’t easily park I won’t go. I usually meet others there (or go with others from work), if they can’t park they won’t go.

I live rurally and it is common both in my family and for others to drive into the city just to walk the prom, often people would get a coffee maybe eat something etc when there. People are going to drive 40 mins or more to struggle to get perking - so more business lost etc etc.

You know a lot of people from rural areas around the city drive into the city to walk the prom...

Peter Keane is right to ask why hasn't everyone been considered...

Again I say trail anything and see and see what happens..

Cycling infrastructure and removal of parking along the prom is part of the GTS and the greenway plans. It is definitely coming.

As for trialing is, that's coming too, very shortly.

When you say consider "everyone" is a cop out when you realise that cyclists are the ones who are most at risk due to the current setup. Why do you think so many cycle on the path there.

I have read it and I also read the one that came out in 2009 which said we will have 20% cycling and 20% Pub Transport by this stage...

Sorry. But I am asking for results... Saying built it and it will come didn't have work in 2009 plan.

Do you have a link to the 2009 plan? Or title/reference, trying to search for it here. Is there any chance the targets were based on proposed changes that didn't happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

It will most certainly cause them to lose business. I drive to salthill for lunch fairly regularly, if I can’t easily park I won’t go. I usually meet others there (or go with others from work), if they can’t park they won’t go.

I live rurally and it is common both in my family and for others to drive into the city just to walk the prom, often people would get a coffee maybe eat something etc when there. People are going to drive 40 mins or more to struggle to get perking - so more business lost etc etc.

It would lead to more cyclists, who have wallets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Do you have a link to the 2009 plan? Or title/reference, trying to search for it here. Is there any chance the targets were based on proposed changes that didn't happen?
    Didn't this come up before? Might be something slightly different this time but last time it was a summation of the national policies without any details on how they hoped to achieve them:

xckjoo wrote: »
    The section you're referring to is discussing the National Policy and Guidelines and specifically the "Smarter Travel - A Sustainable Transport Future" policy document from 2009. It's got nothing to do with any local plans beyond national policy dictates (dictated?) that we should be seeking to achieve the 5 key goals and 6 targets it summarises on those pages.
    (quote here was in relation to the previous discussion)

Plus cyclists can have a pint with their dinner and (legally) cycle home. :)

• Advertisement

I doubt it will, people who would cycle there will cycle there regardless and far far more people will drive there with or without cycle lanes so you are risking cutting off your biggest source of customer if you discourage people driving there.

This is especially the case outside of holiday season - even on a wet winters day it can be tricky to get parking as it is, close to the restaurants in Salthill, so remove this parking and you will be putting off an awful lot of people coming to the area when there will be no/few people cycling. I know I will not be having lunch in salthill anymore if parking is not easy to get, its not feasible to go there. That's a nice chunk of money lost between a few of us having lunch, coffees etc.

You severely limit your catchment area also if you are relying on cyclists. people come from all over the county to salthill as mentioned in my previous post, most wont bother anymore if they aren't going to be able to get parking.
    Plus cyclists can have a pint with their dinner and (legally) cycle home. :)

So can a motorist if they only have 1, legal limit is not zero.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement