Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

I wonder what happens if, god forbid, something happens to the Quincentennial Bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

The "Blackrock Diving Tower" page on Facebook have put up a poll asking...

"So creating a cycle lane on the Prom would mean losing 260 parking spaces along the bay according to City Council. What's your thought? Should we sacrifice parking for a safety and healthier option, or should we go back to the way it was prior to COVID changes? Answer below."

There have been over 1000 responses.

The results so far...

72% - Create Cycle lane
    28% - Put parking back

• Registered Users Posts: 24,825 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cross Street pedestrianised after the long lockdown
    1e7DURl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

blueshark2 wrote: »
    The "Blackrock Diving Tower" page on Facebook have put up a poll asking...

"So creating a cycle lane on the Prom would mean losing 260 parking spaces along the bay according to City Council. What's your thought? Should we sacrifice parking for a safety and healthier option, or should we go back to the way it was prior to COVID changes? Answer below."

There have been over 1000 responses.

The results so far...

72% - Create Cycle lane
    28% - Put parking back

a bit of a biased poll, kinda obvious

but also to a point there were a lot of cars parked just for advertising purposes.

Laviski wrote: »
    a bit of a biased poll, kinda obvious

The page is clearly biased and it's a leaning question but the 2 options are quite clear and I don't think people are going to be swayed that much by the question when the options are clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Plus cyclists can have a pint with their dinner and (legally) cycle home. :)

Do you have a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It will most certainly cause them to lose business. I drive to salthill for lunch fairly regularly, if I can’t easily park I won’t go. I usually meet others there (or go with others from work), if they can’t park they won’t go.

I live rurally and it is common both in my family and for others to drive into the city just to walk the prom, often people would get a coffee maybe eat something etc when there. People are going to drive 40 mins or more to struggle to get perking - so more business lost etc etc.

You'd really drive 40 minutes to walk the prom? Could you not go for a walk closer to home and support a local pub or cafe?

You'd really drive 40 minutes to walk the prom? Could you not go for a walk closer to home and support a local pub or cafe?

I don't do it personally but I have family members who drive to Salthill from well out the country regularly for walking the prom and one or two who drive to salthil 2 or 3 times a week just to swim in black rock.

You would be surprised how many do similar. People do it to walk by the sea etc, there is any amount of walking people can do in the country but its nice to walk by the sea and also cafes etc are fairly rare in places you would walk in rural areas.

I go to salthill for leisure land, an occasional walk and sometimes for lunch but I would already be in the city at work so wouldn't be coming in especially bar an odd occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Such a ridiculous comment. Many people come from a distance to walk next to the sea. You must know this, or are you just trolling? Are people from outside walking or cycling distance of the prom now not welcome?

I don't do it personally but I have family members who drive to Salthill from well out the country regularly for walking the prom and one or two who drive to salthil 2 or 3 times a week just to swim in black rock.

I can think of at least two daily swimmers who come from County Clare to swim there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

zell12 wrote: »
    Cross Street pedestrianised after the long lockdown
    1e7DURl.jpg

Approx 40 year old picture.

westgolf wrote: »
    Approx 40 year old picture.

He must have been joking? Surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

I don't think his name is Surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

?Cee?view wrote: »
    I can think of at least two daily swimmers who come from County Clare to swim there.

What's wrong with the water on their side of the bay?

What's wrong with the water on their side of the bay?

Nothing that isn't wrong this side.

The friends and community around swimming that they've built over the years are this side though.

Consider "the Creamery" is Salthill for example. Most days, pretty much every day, you'll see at least 10 of those swimmers grabbing a coffee there after their swim. Most retirees. Most wouldn't be in a position to walk or drive to Salthill.

It's just one small example, but it galls me that others feel they have the right to dictate to others that if cycling or walking doesn't suit them, then they just have to stay away.

The angst over losing the spaces along the prom may carry more weight except for the fact that there are already several hundred free parking spaces around Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nothing that isn't wrong this side.

The friends and community around swimming that they've built over the years are this side though.

Consider "the Creamery" is Salthill for example. Most days, pretty much every day, you'll see at least 10 of those swimmers grabbing a coffee there after their swim. Most retirees. Most wouldn't be in a position to walk or drive to Salthill.

It's just one small example, but it galls me that others feel they have the right to dictate to others that if cycling or walking doesn't suit them, then they just have to stay away.

Nobody is suggesting people can't drive to Salthill, but the spaces on the Prom won't be available. There's a council carpark, the one opposite the cinema and on street parking on the main road too. Surely all those spaces aren't gone of a weekday morning out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Such a ridiculous comment. Many people come from a distance to walk next to the sea. You must know this, or are you just trolling? Are people from outside walking or cycling distance of the prom now not welcome?

How many people?

Do you have a link to that?

Link to what exactly? Blood alcohol limits only apply to motorists. Cyclists can have a few drinks as long as they are in control of their bike afterward. Much easier to keep safe control at cycling speeds.

Nobody is suggesting people can't drive to Salthill, but the spaces on the Prom won't be available. There's a council carpark, the one opposite the cinema and on street parking on the main road too. Surely all those spaces aren't gone of a weekday morning out there.

So what about one of the daily swimmers? Double hip replacement, hasn't gone well, mid 70s. Don't tell me he can use a disabled space. In order to qualify for one of those you have to be wholly without the use of one limb. Screw him, yeah?

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    How many people?

22.5 :rolleyes:

Link to what exactly? Blood alcohol limits only apply to motorists. Cyclists can have a few drinks as long as they are in control of their bike afterward. Much easier to keep safe control at cycling speeds.

Cycling isn't a complete carte blanche

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/student-pleads-guilty-to-new-drunk-cycling-offence-29759579.html

Road Traffic Act 2010

6.—(1) A person shall not, in a public place—
    (a) drive or attempt to drive, or be in charge of, an animal drawn vehicle, or
    (b) drive or attempt to drive a pedal cycle,
    while he or she is under the influence of an intoxicant to such an
    extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle
    or cycle.
    (2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence
    and—
    (a) if the offence relates to an animal-drawn vehicle, he or she
    is liable on summary conviction—
    (i) in the case of a first offence, to a fine not exceeding
    €3,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding
    1 month or to both, and
    (ii) in the case of a second or subsequent offence, to a
    fine not exceeding €5,000 or to imprisonment for a
    term not exceeding 3 months or to both,
    or
    (b) if the offence relates to a pedal cycle, he or she is liable
    on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €2,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a lot of pre-COVID thinking in this thread.

Our world has changed profoundly.

ALL existing plans need to be reviewed before being implemented.

We can expect major cuts in shared transport and an increasing need to work and recreate locally, and reduce dependence on tourism.

Whether or not more cycle lanes are a good idea is still a subject for research: it depends on how much of a problem virus emission while cycling really is. Until we know this, we should not be making any investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Covid won't last forever, a vaccine is coming. It might not turn up this side of Christmas, but it will come.

How does that differ to what I said?...

How does that differ to what I said?...

It doesn't.

To reiterate "Cycling isn't a complete carte blanche"

All discussion is not a zero sum game.

In order to qualify for one of those you have to be wholly without the use of one limb. Screw him, yeah?

Thats not true, you just have to have a permanent condition that severely restricts your ability to walk. A lot of elderly people get them, without losing the use of one limb!

Others are eligible but too proud to claim it... not saying that's a good or bad thing but I know 2 family members whose GPs suggested it after they were struggling with mobility but they refused. It's a complex thing to come to terms with if the loss of mobility was sudden but the badge is there to claim and use.

flazio wrote: »
    Covid won't last forever, a vaccine is coming. It might not turn up this side of Christmas, but it will come.

That's less certain than it was. Sure a vaccine will come but recent evidence suggests that antibodies in people who have been infected are not persisting. If the antibodies don't last, then a vaccine can't be effective for any significant period of time. Couple this with the fact that the virus is mutating more than anticipated at first and it seems now that the hope lies in an effective treatment more so than an effective vaccine.

Thats not true, you just have to have a permanent condition that severely restricts your ability to walk. A lot of elderly people get them, without losing the use of one limb!

Others are eligible but too proud to claim it... not saying that's a good or bad thing but I know 2 family members whose GPs suggested it after they were struggling with mobility but they refused. It's a complex thing to come to terms with if the loss of mobility was sudden but the badge is there to claim and use.

You're right, thanks for pointing out. It changed in 2011. I was thinking of a Primary Medical Cert. Still as you say, a complex thing to come to terms with and not one that should be thrown around lightly as a solution as some here (not you), have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I wonder if the people that cry discrimination against the elderly/disabled also make the effort to minimise car usage so that there's more room on the road and more parking spots close to where they need them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement