Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭zell12

westgolf wrote: »
    Approx 40 year old picture.
    A very very long lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

xckjoo wrote: »
    This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I wonder if the people that cry discrimination against the elderly/disabled also make the effort to minimise car usage so that there's more room on the road and more parking spots close to where they need them

And I suppose that's the challenge with all these changes. The difficulty is balancing incentives and disincentives. At this stage in Galway, all that is being proposed to move car drivers away is disincentives. Take car parking spaces, take road space etc. Why not positively encourage e.g. car pooling? Seamus Quirke Road - you'd hardly ever see a bus. Why not allow cars with >4 in them use the bus lanes for instance?

Then the encouragement to cycle. That needs joined up thinking. What use is offering cycle to work, if employers aren't given a tax break (or something) to provide showers or changing facilities. When has the amount that's been given under the cycle to work last been looked at?

Why aren't electric scooters legalised? Why aren't motorbikes and scooters officially allowed to use buslanes?

The only thinking seems to be to pit different road users against each other, by taking from one group and giving to the other. A bit more imagination, less silo thinking and the banning of "high horses" (if not real horses!), would be positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

?Cee?view wrote: »
    When has the amount that's been given under the cycle to work last been looked at?

Well one flaw with the current scheme is higher earners get a much bigger discount!

And I suppose that's the challenge with all these changes. The difficulty is balancing incentives and disincentives. At this stage in Galway, all that is being proposed to move car drivers away is disincentives. Take car parking spaces, take road space etc. Why not positively encourage e.g. car pooling? Seamus Quirke Road - you'd hardly ever see a bus. Why not allow cars with >4 in them use the bus lanes for instance?

You hardly ever see a bus as the buses don't get stuck there

Also, HOV is a non-runner. Propose it all you want, but if the NTA/TII/Galway Councils don't view it as an option, it ain't going to happen

Then the encouragement to cycle. That needs joined up thinking. What use is offering cycle to work, if employers aren't given a tax break (or something) to provide showers or changing facilities. When has the amount that's been given under the cycle to work last been looked at?

Showers are a must for anyone cycling over 10k, but under that showers are a nice to have but wipes are usually sufficient. But yeah, more showers = more cyclists
    The only thinking seems to be to pit different road users against each other, by taking from one group and giving to the other. A bit more imagination, less silo thinking and the banning of "high horses" (if not real horses!), would be positive.

See this is where you are misunderstanding things. The roads and streets of Galway were always for the people, then cars came along and took over the streets. All thats happening now is the re-prioritisation to move away from private cars (least efficient) to active travel (walking/cycling) and public/mass transit.

Nobody is saying you can't drive your car into the city. You will just be a lower priority than other modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

zell12 wrote: »
    A very very long lockdown

But a great photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    Covid won't last forever, a vaccine is coming. It might not turn up this side of Christmas, but it will come.

Sure it will. Along with the vaccines for herpes and HIV.

Re the question about whether people would campaign for disability access also minimise personal car use? Yes, I do. I don't own a car at the moment. I may have to buy one, so I have a non-public transport means of travelling home from work if I develop Covid-19 symptoms there - but am hoping to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Quote: fergiesfolly
    You'd really drive 40 minutes to walk the prom? Could you not go for a walk closer to home and support a local pub or cafe?

Such a ridiculous comment. Many people come from a distance to walk next to the sea. You must know this, or are you just trolling? Are people from outside walking or cycling distance of the prom now not welcome?

Why would I troll???

I walk the prom less than a dozen times a year.
    I live across town. I could drive to the prom off peak in 15 minutes. But I don't. I walk close to home.
    I couldn't care less who walks the prom, where they're from, or how far they've travelled. But we're in a thread on traffic in the city. And there are people travelling in a car for 40 minutes, several times a week just to walk the prom. Adding more traffic to a busy network and needing parking spaces. Spaces that could be used for cyclists commuting in the city.

For those wondering why cyclists are asking for protected cycling infrastructure

These are from the last 24 hrs. First one is Cork, second, Wicklow, third Blarney

https://twitter.com/Cowa19942/status/1280840962072293377?s=20

https://twitter.com/Bernieadufe/status/1280841846873300992?s=20

https://twitter.com/pmaceinri/status/1280622500343361541?s=20

Contrast those with this (protection still being installed) in Seapoint Ave. in Dublin

https://twitter.com/dublintwowheels/status/1280795199334162434?s=20

Which would you want for your bike commuting brother, sister, child, wife, husband?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

I think in addition, electric bicycles could really get people to shift their attitude to seeing cycling as a viable option in Galway. They are just like nothing else, absolutely fantastic for tackling hills or getting up to good speed at next to no effort. If the bike to work scheme was enhanced a bit to take into consideration electric bike prices a bit more and throw in improved infrastructure, you'd be on to a winner. The weather in Galway would still remain a barrier but The Netherlands has some absolutely awful weather a lot of the time as well, ferocious winds from the north sea and torrential down pours throughout summer. Here many people use: https://www.buienradar.nl/. Lets you know the exact time and intensity of rain showers wherever you are in the country. It's also an app on the phone so you can visually see the rain conditions in your current location. People plan their cycling around the rain when it does happen. Kinda like planning around a bus schedule. I think this would be fantastic for Galway in any case, I absolutely hate the rain.

We only have to look at the lockdown and even now to see the best way possible to reduce traffic and that’s get as many people working from home as possible.

The government need to either carrot this with incentives for employers or stick it with ways to increase the cost to employers by having unnecessary people in the office - a combination of both being the best approach.

There are thousands and thousands of people needlessly travelling to work everyday when they could at the very least be doing 2 or 3 days a week at home and this alone would make a bigger difference to traffic than anything else (Including the bypass). It would also do wonders for the work life balance of people cutting the commute and also mean people don’t have to live as close the City.

I’m not sure what traffic is like in the city as I haven’t been in since early March as I’m working from home full time but I would assume even now it’s lighter than before and at this stage anyone who needs to be at work is likely already back.

• Advertisement

I’m not sure what traffic is like in the city as I haven’t been in since early March as I’m working from home full time but I would assume even now it’s lighter than before and at this stage anyone who needs to be at work is likely already back.

It's pretty heavy, but not yet the gridlock state that we often had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

blueshark2 wrote: »
    It's pretty heavy, but not yet the gridlock state that we often had before.

Because schools and colleges arent back. I cycled past a long line of cars stretching from Prospect Hill all the way out the Tuam Rd on Monday evening at 5. Much quieter after 6 this evening.

I’m not sure what traffic is like in the city as I haven’t been in since early March as I’m working from home full time

Also, I guess the Galway City businesses are lucky they didn't reserve a parking spot for you, in anticipation of your legendary custom...

Sorry, couldn't resist... :)

Not a million miles away from returning to pre-covid levels of grid lock according to the traffic monitor on the N6

24hr average

519255.png

Avg for rush hours morning & evening

519256.png

Data source

Not a million miles away from returning to pre-covid levels of grid lock according to the traffic monitor on the N6

24hr average

519255.png

Avg for rush hours morning & evening

519256.png

Data source

That kinda supports Nox point though: I've been on public transport just after 9am and 6:30pm, and its vastly quieter still. If we found ways for those people to work at home, or within walking distance of home, traffic could be lighter still.

That kinda supports Nox point though: I've been on public transport just after 9am and 6:30pm, and its vastly quieter still. If we found ways for those people to work at home, or within walking distance of home, traffic could be lighter still.

WFH looks to be more of a thing now for a lot of folks, myself included. That being said, I just found out I'll be back onsite again frm the beginning of Aug so who knows. Maybe it'll be a flexi arrangement. WFH will alleviate some traffic but will not do much for those in retail, some services and manufacturing.

As for walking distance from work to home, the same applies for cycling distance from work to home. Personally I'm looking at a 20km commute and have showers in my work. As a result I'm looking at cycling once I return to work and am building up to 50km a day at the moment in preparation. However, my 20km commute is 25km when cycling due to trying to avoid the more dangerous roads. Sucks but makes my commuting a nice round 50km cycle a day.

Granted not everyone is going to be able to do that distance but that where e-bikes come into play. If there was safe cycling infrastructure from Tuam, Athenry, Gort, Craughwell, Spiddal, Oughterard into Galway I think you would see an explosion of e-bike commuting. Cycling along at 25kmph and taking hills easily is a massive motivator for e-bike commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The government need to either carrot this with incentives for employers or stick it with ways to increase the cost to employers by having unnecessary people in the office - a combination of both being the best approach.

Like increasing the cost of parking and/or reducing the number of free parking spots at offices to move people to public transport and/or cycling and walking?

As for walking distance from work to home, the same applies for cycling distance from work to home. Personally I'm looking at a 20km commute and have showers in my work. As a result I'm looking at cycling once I return to work and am building up to 50km a day at the moment in preparation. However, my 20km commute is 25km when cycling due to trying to avoid the more dangerous roads. Sucks but makes my commuting a nice round 50km cycle a day.

You reckon they will have the work showers open? I was surprised to see that the gyms showers are open, but there's a sign saying "in limited circumstances "

FitzShane wrote: »
    Like increasing the cost of parking and/or reducing the number of free parking spots at offices to move people to public transport and/or cycling and walking?

No, definitely not something ridiculous like that. Moving people to public transport has nothing to do with WFH and the people WFH suits most are people living too far for cycling and walking and most likely where there is no public transport anyway so the days they have to come in there should be free parking available.

If there are office spaces there should be parking for free - I was more thinking of making having the office space more costly or taxing them on it to force their hand. The carrot approach of tax incentives may be the better approach though, initially anyway.

From this weeks Advertiser, plenty about the new and upcoming prioritization of pedestrians and cyclists ahead of the private car

519339.jpg

519340.jpg

519341.jpg

And for anyone free this Sat and looking to go for a spin on the bike, check out the cycle bus summer spins

519342.jpg

• Advertisement

Mostly biased articles by vested interests and or known anti-car brigades.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

From this weeks Advertiser, plenty about the new and upcoming prioritization of pedestrians and cyclists ahead of the private car

And for anyone free this Sat and looking to go for a spin on the bike, check out the cycle bus summer spins

You could have put spoiler alert at the start

Was in Salthill every day for the last week or more, its really buzzing at the moment. This is with all the on-street parking along the prom already removed. It's not a hypothetical scenario at all.

It just goes to show Salthill can thrive without those parking spots. I've never seen all the beaches so well used on "average" damp days over the last week. The bike parking is often at capacity and great to see groups in swimming off every beach.

It was only on our third attempt we got in to the Oslo for a meal and drinks, there were slow queues in the rain over the weekend. I know they are at reduced capacity but business seems to be doing the best they have capacity for.

The prom and beaches look much more inviting now when passing, not hidden behind a line of cars. Would look great without the barriers.

I can see it only going from strength to strength if they push ahead with the cycle lane.

Imagine how busy it would be if all the extra people who can't go due to worrying about lack of parking were able to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Imagine how much more busy it could be if they just turned the beach into a car park too! :pac:

Analysing feedback to Galway City Council mobility task force

Feedback area - Silverstrand

519357.jpg

Total Comments - 27
    By Category
    Walking - 14
    Cycling - 6
    Other - 7

Main comments
    Close the road to motor vehicles - 17
    Safe crossing point to access Silverstrand road - 5

Feedback area - Barna Road

519358.jpg

Total Comments - 35
    By Category
    Walking - 12
    Cycling - 18
    Bus - 3
    Other - 2

Main comments
    Footpaths/crossings needed - (all walking comments stated these requests)
    Lower speeds/safe cycling infrastructure (lanes, greenways, parking etc) - (all cycling comments stated these requests)
    Bus shelters - 3

Feedback area - The Prom

519359.jpg

Total Comments - 100+
    By Category
    Cycling - 100+
    Walking - 12
    Bus - 1
    Other - 20

Main comments
    Walker want
    - cyclists off the Prom pathway
    - Additional crossing points
    Cyclists want
    - dedicated cycling infrastructure along the Prom (protected lanes, parking etc)
    Other requests
    - Disabled parking to be increased
    - Reduce speed limits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Was Mike Crowe even against trees a few years ago? but sure any way the wind blows

• Advertisement

The changes are coming, sooner now than expected, so he's wise to get in early and claim credit for it.

"Councillor welcomes new ..."
    < insert picture of council pointing at new thing >

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement