Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

blueshark2 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the 2009 plan? Or title/reference, trying to search for it here. Is there any chance the targets were based on proposed changes that didn't happen?

Don't have a copy but from memory there wasn't any thing significant in it more...

I read it in 2012, I printed it and a few of read it in the Bunch of Grapes... It looked like a piece of fiction...

What bicycle lanes do you think will increase Galway cycling to 20%?

Would it not be better to implement easier things first to get the participation up first...

I look at 20% number and sorry but more cycle lanes won't push the needle that much...

How about:
    Showering facilities at work?
    Electric bike, why are the sales so low?

What do you consider a realistic number for 2030 and can we work that figure back to what we need for next year...

I am actually pro cycling but i just don't see building more and more empty cycle lanes as helping... It seems the the policy is about punishing cars not promoting cycling..

zell12 wrote: »

He is right about the trees... Some of the species of trees in Galway were highly short sighted... They are fast growing with short roots... This means that during storms when the ground gets wet they are more likely to fall over... Some of these trees are a real danger to houses and cutting them lower or down entirely is highly expensive...

Crowe is right about this one... There is a line of them at the top of our estate (50yds) and I think it is 10k just lower them so they won't fall over in a storm and on top of a house.

Just look at the trees that generally fall over on the golf course... Evergreens, they just don't have the roots of our native trees...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

CowboyTed wrote: »
    How about:
    Showering facilities at work?
    Electric bike, why are the sales so low?

In the current climate, do you think any employer will want to take on responsibility for sanitising shower facilities between users?

In the current climate, do you think any employer will want to take on responsibility for sanitising shower facilities between users?

Agreed... But we have to look on the other side of COVID...

The truth is Galway's exists Cycle infrastructure is is heavily under used... Why are we not pushing to see why it is not used...

Some good suggestions here:
    • Showers
    • E-Bikes
    • Car Pooling (too wet to cycle home)

There is many more.

But we have to accept that our weather is not conducive to cycling all the time (Amsterdam has generally very nice weather most of the time especially in the Summer).
    Our city have low density, you have to cycle a long way to get places.
    Galway has hills.

Is the target of 20% by 2030 realistic? If not then what is our realistic target?

There is also the normal scooter options, what is wrong with this:

ef3179c7761a4715f1519ce0024b0e50.jpg

Very stable on the roads and not hugely expensive.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003037959341?sort=price-asc&body-type=Three%20Wheeler&radius=1501&advertising-location=at_bikes&postcode=e18rj&page=1

Park them up and off you go...

• Advertisement

The number 1 issue for every cyclist is safety from motor vehicles.

Sort that and the rest will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Agreed... But we have to look on the other side of COVID...

The truth is Galway's exists Cycle infrastructure is is heavily under used... Why are we not pushing to see why it is not used...

Some good suggestions here:
    • Showers
    • E-Bikes
    • Car Pooling (too wet to cycle home)

There is many more.

But we have to accept that our weather is not conducive to cycling all the time (Amsterdam has generally very nice weather most of the time especially in the Summer).
    Our city have low density, you have to cycle a long way to get places.
    Galway has hills.

Is the target of 20% by 2030 realistic? If not then what is our realistic target?

There is also the normal scooter options, what is wrong with this:

<snip>

Very stable on the roads and not hugely expensive.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003037959341?sort=price-asc&body-type=Three%20Wheeler&radius=1501&advertising-location=at_bikes&postcode=e18rj&page=1

Park them up and off you go...
    We do know why it isn't used. Our cycling infrastructure is extremely poor. It's all very disjointed, poorly maintained and poorly planned. It often does things like stop abruptly in railings or dumps the cyclist awkwardly on a roundabout or other junction. I had far more close calls trying to use it than avoiding it completely and sticking to smaller roads.

That 20% figure is almost certainly what I mentioned in a previous reply. It was a national target that the government laid down late last decade. I never saw a serious attempt (or even a plan) for it to be achieved. As Dacor mentioned, the biggest issue cycling is safety from cars. I still cycle a good bit (fastest way to commute for me) but it does put me off. I've had a lot of close calls from people who readily admit to having done it on purpose. I don't know if 20% is a realistic figure but there has never been a serious attempt to increase cycling numbers in Galway. The most they've done is tack on a cycle lane to a new road build. It's an after thought rather than a serious piece of planning.

I've often wondered why we don't see more motorbikes/moped in Galway too. Would probably cut commute times considerably.

xckjoo wrote: »
    I've often wondered why we don't see more motorbikes/moped in Galway too. Would probably cut commute times considerably.

Lack of assigned parking for two-wheelers is one issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

FitzShane wrote: »
    Imagine how much more busy it could be if they just turned the beach into a car park too! :pac:

Don't give him ideas! This is one of the beautiful beaches in Donegal where motorists have been vigorously defending their god-given right to park on it...

Rossnowlagh-beach-1-1.jpg

Don't give him ideas! This is one of the beautiful beaches in Donegal where motorists have been vigorously defending their god-given right to park on it...

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Some que for 99’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Rossnowlagh, and frankly that’s disgraceful. Same with Downhill in Co Derry.

Lots of older folks taking to trikes lately, fantastic to see. One Galway lady is becoming quite famous from it all

Just showing that there are often alternatives to the car that are healthier and a hell of a lot more fun

https://twitter.com/SilkeRichard/status/1281487424309334016?s=20

https://twitter.com/RossiTheBossi/status/1281603642416672770?s=20

https://twitter.com/RossiTheBossi/status/1281549130976899072?s=20

https://twitter.com/Jemima_Vivien/status/1276922538136752133?s=20

Rossnowlagh, and frankly that’s disgraceful. Same with Downhill in Co Derry.

Thats not a beach, its a sandy car park that floods daily

The Lighthouse cafe have a new kitchen and cafe at Terryland, here's their solution to getting through traffic between the two cafes...

519472.jpg

Any progress on the cycle lanes out by Salthill? There was talk of it a few weeks ago but all quiet since. There is a growing demand now for parking in Salthill and the council might be under pressure to remove the cones and open on-street parking soon.

Unfortunately this is as I feared, Council have been too slow to get organised and will now be reopening the on-street parking along Salthill again. They'll likely go into a spiral of reports and nimby meetings now.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10217190305413601&id=1349495973
    To the Mayor and Elected Members of Galway City Council

A chara,

Following from the Council Meeting on Monday last, and the subsequent meeting with the West Ward Councillors, where the proposal to provide a cycle lane along the promenade in Salthill was discussed:

• It is the intention of the City Council, working with the National Transport Authority, to continue the work on the proposal to provide for cycling provisions in this area but respecting the Motion passed at Council, we have begun engagement with The Village Salthill Committee.

• As that engagement is likely to run over the month of July and into early August and having considered the Statutory Approval required for such a cycling intervention, if not delivered immediately as an emergency measure under COVID-19, it is therefore necessary to consider the parking restrictions in place at present in Salthill. The parking restrictions were put in place during the Government “#StayatHome” order that came into effect at the beginning of April. The removal of parking was to assist in restricting people visiting Salthill, when there was a high risk of transmission of the Covid-19 virus if social distancing was not adhered to. These restrictions were introduced at that time on the recommendation of An Garda Síochána.

• At a Joint Inter-Agency Meeting between the HSE Public Health, Fire Service, Galway City Council and An Garda Síochána, the restriction on parking was discussed. An Garda Síochána have been monitoring the Salthill Promenade Area and have confirmed that in line with the Government relaxations of restrictions under COVID-19, that they no longer require the parking restrictions to remain in place.

• Therefore, the City Council will remove the parking restriction in Salthill. All measures undertaken by the City Mobility Team are temporary in nature and in response to COVID-19, and will remain under review, in consultation with An Garda Síochána and the HSE. Galway City Council will still proceed with the designs for a temporary cycle facility in Salthill in consultation with The Village Salthill Committee and will bring a report back to Council on this matter.

Le mór meas,
    Issued on behalf of Brendan McGrath,
    Chief Executive- Príomh Fheidhmeanach

Statement received this evening from the City Manager in relation to the issue of the provision of Cycle Lanes in Salthill.

Unfortunately this is as I feared, Council have been too slow to get organised and will now be reopening the on-street parking along Salthill again. They'll likely go into a spiral of reports and nimby meetings now.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10217190305413601&id=13494959]

Great news and the right decision!

Where are the posters who told me it was gone for good and I need to get used to it and it was never coming back etc etc????

Where are the posters who told me it was gone for good and I need to get used to it and it was never coming back etc etc????

Your glee may not last too long, the days of parking along the prom are numbered

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nox's reaction to pedestrians and swimmers on the prom during pandemic when there was no parking.
    Prom needs to be totally shut down prior to the weekend, no walking by anyone no swimming either since the black rock swimmers are too ignorant to stay at home and just swim up further along the beach instead.

I’d fine every one of them, would wipe away their smug attitude fairly fast.

Nox's reaction to the prom being open to car parking so people can drive up to walk and swim on the prom during pandemic.

lol!

The Lighthouse cafe have a new kitchen and cafe at Terryland, here's their solution to getting through traffic between the two cafes...

519472.jpg

Nice set up. I use a trailer with my regular push bike. Much less likely to be stolen too.

• Advertisement

Lots of older folks taking to trikes lately, fantastic to see.

Someone is prohibited from driving for medical reasons, and you think it's ok for them to propel a two or three-wheeler? Really? Next think you'll be telling us that the drink-driving regulations don't apply to them either.

Someone is prohibited from driving for medical reasons, and you think it's ok for them to propel a two or three-wheeler? Really?

Yes. Really.

Tricycles for people with limited mobility are a thing and have been for a long time. I've a stroke victim neighbour that carries out all his daily runs to the local butcher, greengrocer, baker etc... on an adapted for his needs tricycle.

Someone is prohibited from driving for medical reasons, and you think it's ok for them to propel a two or three-wheeler? Really? Next think you'll be telling us that the drink-driving regulations don't apply to them either.

You need to open your mind to other possibilities. A disability is not the prison sentence you make it out to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I'm inclined to see the reasoning to open Salthill to cars as the correct course of action. Same as the reason to re-open the gates of phoenix park as a throughway. (If anybody has been following)
    We can't just close off areas which have been previously used as commuter routes and replace with bike lanes and footpaths.
    There's a sense of a lack of fairness until alternatives exist. We have allowed a car dependant society to develop for the last 50 years with mayhem on the planning side. We need to invest in alternatives before reducing access.
    Where is the access to Salthill without parking for someone from Oranmore or Athlone?

Great that this type of debate is permeating the popular discourse. Not just "loonie lefties on their bikes". I mean if someone like Cathal Crowe is talking about reducing car access to the city.

This is the guy with the giant "Build that bridge" posters during the last GE. He's clearly not coming from a place of deep-thinking on issues of spacial planning and future proofing the Galway city region over the next 50 years.

He just smells which direction the wind is blowing on both issues and ploughs in. It's a really good thing. If this guy is talking about reducing car access then its only a matter of time.

Hopefully post-Covid starts to open people up to the idea that theres a better life out there beyond car dependance.

Theres a better version of society that doesn't involve 2 hours per day in commuter hell ( 2 hrs per day, 5 days per week, 48 weeks per year = 480 hours per year

= 20 days per year
    = 100 days every 5 years
    = 200 days every 10 years
    = 400 days every 20 years

Sitting in a metal box moving mostly slowly forward.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Nox's reaction to pedestrians and swimmers on the prom during pandemic when there was no parking.

Nox's reaction to the prom being open to car parking so people can drive up to walk and swim on the prom during pandemic.

lol!

Bit of a difference between the height of the pandemic and now when it’s pretty safe (for the time being anyway) to be out in the open air in public once social distance isn’t maintained. Don’t let that get in the way of your fantastically researched and delivered joke though :rolleyes:

Where is the access to Salthill without parking for someone from Oranmore or Athlone?

In the 324 free parking spaces in the two main car parks, along the prom and beside the aquarium?

In the 324 free parking spaces in the two main car parks, along the prom and beside the aquarium?

Which can fill up even on bog started weekdays in off season never mind weekends in good weather etc.

On more than one occasion on wet midweek lunch time I’ve driven back to salthill couldn’t get parking close enough to coco/full duck (before it closed)/creamery and just went to a petrol station and grabbed a roll instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

The aquarium car park is always pretty full.
    We would need to consider extending significantly i.e. maybe moving the childrens play area.

It's not enough to just not like cars

It's not just enough to not like cars

I know that, but you can't say they're not provided for. A huge area of public space in Galway City is dedicated to cars. Put in an extra 500 spaces and more people will see driving to Salthill as the preferable option as there's more easy parking and as the roads are even busier with cars it's unsafe to cycle with a family.

Continuing to feed the car demand is a vicious cycle. The more cars are catered for the less hospitable the roads and community spaces are for more sustainable options.

We definitely do need to cater for those with reduced mobility though. Vast amounts of that main car park should be reserved for elderly, blue badge holders and families with small children.

Some additional parking should be reserved for elderly and blue badge holders near Blackrock. There are some options that could be looked at - like do we need the wide footpath in front of the apartments opposite Blackrock? You could create 10 spots there for elderly swimmers.

• Advertisement

Bit of a difference between the height of the pandemic and now when it’s pretty safe (for the time being anyway) to be out in the open air in public once social distance isn’t maintained. Don’t let that get in the way of your fantastically researched and delivered joke though :rolleyes:

Come on Nox, according to you Cheltenham revellers were dead right to travel in planes and come back to infect (and that they did) at the height of the pandemic when we all knew it was in the UK. Italy was on fire, the warnings were in place from every media outlet including the Irish government.

And then when it was out of the community - social distance marches (when it was pretty safe in your words) in the open air were wrong according to you and all should be arrested?

Then... you told us that "smug" pedestrians and swimmers maintaining social distancing on the prom should be fined and arrested.

And now, drivers driving to the prom to walk and swim are 100% correct?

Stop using the pandemic & your keyboard to cherry pick & admonish people in society you hate and in the same breath laud people you admire & aspire to be like.

Man up, Nail your cards to one mast and stop talking out of both sides of your mouth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement