Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why do we choose not to incentivise public transport/walking/cycling, but rather to make car access more difficult and force people to these means?

The same tactics are used for most problems here, alcohol and tobacco, simply tax and ban. It's not an effective solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why do we choose not to incentivise public transport/walking/cycling, but rather to make car access more difficult and force people to these means?

The same tactics are used for most problems here, alcohol and tobacco, simply tax and ban. It's not an effective solution.

Replacing a small proportion of the car parking spaces with new cycling infrastructure IS incentivising cycling. Ideally it would be done with no loss of parking but there's limited space and something has to give.

blueshark2 wrote: »
    Replacing a small proportion of the car parking spaces with new cycling infrastructure IS incentivising cycling. Ideally it would be done with no loss of parking but there's limited space and something has to give.

I was speaking more in general terms, I don't disagree with the cycling infrastructure in this instance.

On another note, I can't wait to see how the busses handle Eglington street and Forster street once the full whack of traffic returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

blueshark2 wrote: »
    I know that, but you can't say they're not provided for. A huge area of public space in Galway City is dedicated to cars. Put in an extra 500 spaces and more people will see driving to Salthill as the preferable option as there's more easy parking and as the roads are even busier with cars it's unsafe to cycle with a family.

Continuing to feed the car demand is a vicious cycle. The more cars are catered for the less hospitable the roads and community spaces are for more sustainable options.

We definitely do need to cater for those with reduced mobility though. Vast amounts of that main car park should be reserved for elderly, blue badge holders and families with small children.

Some additional parking should be reserved for elderly and blue badge holders near Blackrock. There are some options that could be looked at - like do we need the wide footpath in front of the apartments opposite Blackrock? You could create 10 spots there for elderly swimmers.

I would have agreed with you previously. I've been thinking about this lately. We have the most dispersed, car dependent society in Europe.
    This is not London introducing congestion charges and forcing people into rail tubes and buses. We have no alternative means to transport people to Salthill. There is no public transport worth talking about for people outside of a bike ride to Salthill.

You are saying close Salthill to all non-Salthill people, because less cars would be great because I don't like cars.

What about the 100's of regular prom users from the wider county and regional areas. Whats your message to them?

My point is first we need massive investment in public transport, second we need car reduction measures or we lose the battle politically

I
    We have no alternative means to transport people to Salthill. There is no public transport worth talking about for people outside of a bike ride to Salthill.

Bus, walk, cycle

Just because you want to have a stroll by the seaside doesn't mean you need a parking space beside it
    You are saying close Salthill to all non-Salthill people, because less cars would be great because I don't like cars.

Where was that stated? By who? Or did you misunderstand something?
    What about the 100's of regular prom users from the wider county and regional areas. Whats your message to them?

What's your message for the children who would like to cycle in safety?
    My point is first we need massive investment in public transport, second we need car reduction measures or we lose the battle politically

Providing several hundred free parking spaces instead of using the space for safe, protected cycling infrastructure is a car reduction measure?

• Advertisement

Just because you want to have a stroll by the seaside doesn't mean you need a parking space beside it

No, it doesn't.

So will all these people, just walk, cycle or get the poorly connected bus route? If walking or cycling, where do you park your car now?

Or will these people simply stop coming/much less frequently come to salthill? That's much much more likely. If it's hassle, why bother?

I suspect most of these locals who want no cars on the promenade don't consider (or just don't care about) the effects on local businesses. Salthill has seen enough decline in recent decades, removing vehicular access without realistic alternatives is asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Bus, walk, cycle

Where was that stated? By who? Or did you misunderstand something?

What's your message for the children who would like to cycle in safety?

Providing several hundred free parking spaces instead of using the space for safe, protected cycling infrastructure is a car reduction measure?

Just to be clear, I would be massively in favour of pedestrianising large parts of Galway City centre and Salthill.

But we need to transition slowly in order to protect the fabric of the existing society and it's commercial viability.

"Galway county (i.e. excluding the city) is one of the most rural with almost 78% of the population living in rural areas.Each county, and the Western Region itself (64.7%), has a significantly higher proportion of people living in rural areas than for the State as a whole (37%)"
    https://www.wdc.ie/rurality-population-density-and-the-urban-population-of-the-western-region/

These people are completely reliant on the car. We don't have a public transport system which allows them access the city. Reducing car access to the city without first investing in public transport is not smart.

I'm starting to think it might take generations of sensible spacial planning combined with massive investment in public transport to solve Galways traffic issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don’t like that the prom has reopened to facilitate abandoned vehicles. The council are going to be crying out for funding now post Covid.

If people want to take there cars to Salthill, let them, but put in pay and display parking and a battalion of eager traffic wardens there. Then we’ll see how many are willing to pay for the privilege of parking. It’s the only way to break the reliance on cars and if the parking fees were ringfenced for developing PT and other means it would help.

Yes people have a right to drive wherever they want, but there is absolutely no right to just abandon the vehicle wherever is convenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In fairness, the wardens were out earlier ticketing silly parked vehicles

From Martina O'connor Galway City Councillor (GP)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=749148285846573&id=100022542252314
    Money is available to provide a temporary cycle lane in Salthill under Covid 19 safety guidelines. Having consulted with Salthill Village business interests the Chief Executive is not now going to apply for this money or provide any cycle lane in Salthill this year, it had been proposed from the Wolfe Tone Bridge to BlackRock.

I seconded a motion proposed by Cllr Collette Connolly to review this and apply for the money and come up with a new bike lane plan. This was defeated 12/5 , yes 12 Councillors voted not to trial a Salthill cyclelane after one short meeting with local business.

I despair of there being any will to keep children and adults safe while trying to cycle in Salthill.

In a later reply to someone on her post she stated
    ........ yes it was a role call vote Cllrs,Collette Connolly, Niall Murphy, Owen Hanley, Mayor Mike Cubbard and I voted to review the decision to scrap trialling a cycle lane.
    One abstained and all other 12 voted against.
    The CE will progress permanent cyclelane in the future .

They wouldn't even trial it

Sigh

• Advertisement

They are representing the views of the majority of people and businesses as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The people of the rural county shouldn't need to rely on the city so heavily. The towns of Loughrea, Tuam, Athenry, Ballinasloe, Spiddal, Gort, etc are dying a death.
    Galway city doesn't need to accommodate every car in the county. It doesn't owe it to the county.
    That's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

flazio wrote: »
    The people of the rural county shouldn't need to rely on the city so heavily. The towns of Loughrea, Tuam, Athenry, Ballinasloe, Spiddal, Gort, etc are dying a death.
    Galway city doesn't need to accommodate every car in the county. It doesn't owe it to the county.
    That's madness.

Yeah, the sea walks aren’t great in most of those places though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

So they block off eglington street and cross street without asking the public and which will cause issues for traffic but they ask for the public's view on a cycling path in salthill and vote against even trialing it. I dont know what to say but the agreed road closures only help a few pubs on those roads as there is nothing else on in the areas and a bike path would have helped the health , fitness and wellness of us all. Are they here for the publicians or are they here for us?

Salthill really is one depressing sh1thole, enslaved by hundreds of abandoned metal boxes.
    It is incredibly hostile to families and any other form of transport. It’s been dying for decades at this stage, yet the Salthill Business whatever they’re called insist on trying to keep everything the same, shame on them and they will reap what they sow, but even more shame on a city manager and elected councillors who are dooming the resort to being nothing more than a traffic choked street with little rat runs through residential areas.

Why not try make it a pleasant destination place to go???

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Salthill has been like Bundoran on downers for years. A two-wheeler lane won't fix that.

Salthill has been like Bundoran on downers for years. A two-wheeler lane won't fix that.

I agree, but doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.......

If they don’t try, they will never know, and I’m not just talking about cycle lanes. Salthill has the widest streets in town, it’s no surprises is also most clogged with parked cars all the time also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Another reason for the council to hang its head in shame, there vested interests know no bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

They are representing the views of the majority of people and businesses as they should.

Regardless of any opinion on the cycle lane, lets not pretend this u-turn was for the benefit of the ordinary citizen. Local businesses were afraid they would lose money and gave the councillors a bollicking.

Regardless of any opinion on the cycle lane, lets not pretend this u-turn was for the benefit of the ordinary citizen. Local businesses were afraid they would lose money and gave the councillors a bollicking.

And the councillors buckled yet again under the slightest pressure, short sightedness yet again

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »

Why not try make it a pleasant destination place to go???

It is a pleasant place to go, nonsense statements like “abandoned metal boxes” just make you look silly. Parked cars in no way take from the area, or the pleasure of a walk along the prom or grabbing a bit of lunch in one of the cafes etc.

Without parking most people can’t get there either which you need to remember, so take it away and it’s not really a feasible destination for most.

It is a pleasant place to go, nonsense statements like “abandoned metal boxes” just make you look silly. Parked cars in no way take from the area, or the pleasure of a walk along the prom or grabbing a bit of lunch in one of the cafes etc.

Without parking most people can’t get there either which you need to remember, so take it away and it’s not really a feasible destination for most.

So the prom doesn’t need investment or a face lift by your logical? Everything is fine here, keep moving while I continue to burry my head in the sand

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

Was the council planning on taking away all of the parking spaces in Salthill ? or the figure i heard which was 12% of parking spaces ? Anyone know the true figure ?

Is there any economic data showing how introducing a greenway is bad for business ?

I stand by my description, and if you think cars abandonded on the footpath, or obstructing vision at junctions and lights as is the norm in Salthill, is acceptable, well good for you!! As I posted previously, all of Salthill should be made a pay and display parking area, then everyone wins, don’t they? You can drive there, city council can ring fence the parking fees for development of amenities in the area.

And BTW, this is a view I hold as a motorist!

thebackbar wrote: »
    Was the council planning on taking away all of the parking spaces in Salthill ? or the figure i heard which was 12% of parking spaces ? Anyone know the true figure ?

Is there any economic data showing how introducing a greenway is bad for business ?

Its more parking needed in the area not less as I've pointed out already it can be hard to get a spot close to the cafes etc at times even in off season midweek.

I stand by my description, and if you think cars abandonded on the footpath, or obstructing vision at junctions and lights as is the norm in Salthill, is acceptable, well good for you!! As I posted previously, all of Salthill should be made a pay and display parking area, then everyone wins, don’t they? You can drive there, city council can ring fence the parking fees for development of amenities in the area.

Pay and display? no way - drivers already pay for too much, pay parking can feck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

Its more parking needed in the area not less as I've pointed out already it can be hard to get a spot close to the cafes etc at times even in off season midweek.

Pay and display? no way - drivers already pay for too much, pay parking can feck right off.

Is there any examples you could point to where a cycleway has been bad for business ?? just one :)

Whats your definition of close to the cafes ? a one minute walk, five minute, ten minute ? The current plan for Galway is for the population to double in next twenty years, if this projection comes true then it won't be feasible to facilitate everyone parking a minutes walk from the cafes in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is there any examples you could point to where a cycleway has been bad for business ?? just one :)

Whats your definition of close to the cafes ? a one minute walk, five minute, ten minute ? The current plan for Galway is for the population to double in next twenty years, if this projection comes true then it won't be feasible to facilitate everyone parking a minutes walk from the cafes in Salthill.

I believe Noxs ideal is in the story below.

https://brazilian.report/coronavirus-brazil-live-blog/2020/07/03/cars-use-drive-thru-inside-sao-paulo-shopping-mall/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

No dice! You have now been categorised as a car hating shill for Big Bicycle sent here to destroy local businesses :D

Less than 5 mins away, its usually wet and I'm on lunch so I have little interest in wasting time walking rather than getting in for my lunch and preferably dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Another Galway Traffic thread that meanders down a side street...
    Salthill, no more than any other part of the city cannot be seen as a single issue, but as part of a bigger picture.
    Changing attitudes and structures throughout the city to affect the transportation of people throughout the city is the only way to succeed.

A Park and Ride in conjunction with upgraded bus services, cycle lanes and inner city pedestrianisation will benefit everyone in the city and visitors coming here.
    But God only knows when the city leaders will recognise this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement