Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Some of us prefer not to spend our lives sitting behind a steering wheel staring at tail lights. Or to at least avoid it as much as possible. Biggest waste of life IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

xckjoo wrote: »
    Some of us prefer not to spend our lives sitting behind a steering wheel staring at tail lights. Or to at least avoid it as much as possible. Biggest waste of life IMO

Yes because sitting 3 rows behind the steering wheel staring at tail lights is much better instead.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yes because sitting 3 rows behind the steering wheel staring at tail lights is much better instead.
    Ya. Because you can do other stuff like read a book, look at your phone or just catch up on work. Stuff you shouldn't be doing while driving. I assume you keep your focus on the road while driving.....

Or just drive into town and park where you can load up your stuff.

The hoops people what others to jump through is mind numbing. I wouldn't use park and ride if I was paid to, needless hassle.

Keep doing the same thing as before, but expect to pay a lot more for the privilege and suffer a greater amount of inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Or just drive into town and park where you can load up your stuff.

The hoops people what others to jump through is mind numbing. I wouldn't use park and ride if I was paid to, needless hassle.

Ya ya might be able to do this but will cost ya, anyhow the retail models are changing here regardless because of technology and automation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Keep doing the same thing as before, but expect to pay a lot more for the privilege and suffer a greater amount of inconvenience

I was the exact same as [user] a decade ago. Now, I'd very very rarely take the car in to Dublin, even with heavy gear for a job. Way too much hassle, too expensive, and it just takes too long to get out of the city.

Global cities reducing car access is not avoidable. Galway will change too.

Eglinton Street was at a standstill this morning. Shout out to the Guards that got things moving again. Was about 10-15mins without any movement. That street as a traffic mess

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

xckjoo wrote: »
    Eglinton Street was at a standstill this morning. Shout out to the Guards that got things moving again. Was about 10-15mins without any movement. That street as a traffic mess
    Would not have happened if all the parking was removed.
    Where do the bus drivers get their patience?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/galway-shows-the-direction-that-commuting-should-take-5d327549

Galway shows the direction that commuting should take | Business Post
    The Department of Transport has shown some signs that it is serious about tackling congestion, and it‘s bad news for drivers.
    Parking bans and congestion charges in city centres are among the measures the state has put on the agenda for its public consultation on how to address congestion.
    As part of the process, which runs until January 24, the department has published a series of background papers that point out some of the obvious repercussions of heavy traffic.
    Congestion leads to lost time, increased vehicle operating costs, emissions and pollution. There are also wider economic repercussions, with the costs of doing business increasing and making Ireland a less attractive investment prospect.
    A 2017 report calculated that congestion costs the greater Dublin area €358 million a year and forecast this figure would swell to €2.08 billion by 2033 if there is no intervention.
    One city crippled by congestion on a daily basis is Galway. It is brought to a standstill during rush hour, with its infrastructure barely able to cope with the influx of private vehicles.
    The west of Ireland hub has struggled with its own congestion problems, but the whole country could learn a lot from the research that Galway has put into fixing its oversubscribed transport network. A lot of commuters are not going to like the findings.
    A plan to create a ring road around Galway city was first raised in 1999. The bypass was seen as the answer to the city’s traffic problems.
    Galway authorities have poured significant resources into the plan. Figures from earlier this year revealed that nearly €30 million had been spent on researching and planning the ring road. However, research in the past five years has found the city has been trying to solve the wrong problem.
    Based on research by Arup, the international consultancy, the results are clear – and applicable to all Irish cities. Forget about a ring road or wider roads; congestion can be solved by making policies that prioritise every mode of transport except cars.
    In fact, Arup found that a very small number of Galway commuters would use a bypass. Only 3 per cent of travelled between the two outer edges of the city each day, while 60 per cent of trips involved workers starting and ending their commute by car within city limits.
    A separate study has found that the ring road is needed in addition to other measures, but at its core, Galway’s congestion plan has been focused on getting commuters out of their cars and onto public transport – not catering further to car users.
    Buses are going to be given priority through the city, which would result in normal traffic being removed from University Road, across Salmon Weir Bridge, onto Eglinton Street and around Eyre Square.
    These are all plans in the pipeline, so Galway has not got to grips with congestion quite yet, but everyone should pay attention to the city’s research. The harsh truth is that cars cannot be at the centre of transport policy any more.
    The existing “smarter travel” policy for 2009-2020 targeted a reduction in commuting by car from 65 per cent to 45 percent. The state is expected to miss that target by some distance, with Census 2016 results showing that 61 per cent of commuters drove to work.
    In the concluding remarks of its recent report on congestion, the Department of Transport said a combination of demand-focused and supply-focused interventions would be used to address congestion. That means additional charges for drivers, coupled with more investment in public transport infrastructure.
    It’s a carrot-and-stick approach, but as has been evident in Galway, transport authorities will not be shy of using the stick in the coming years. Cars are going to be less of a priority, and commuters will have to get used to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »
    Would not have happened if all the parking was removed.
    Where do the bus drivers get their patience?

Is the problem parking, or illegal parking?

Removing the former won't stop the latter.

I do think the parking n that street should be good vehicles only 9am to 7pm. But we need a brains and attitude transformation among vehicle users, or all the rule changes in the world will make no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I do think the parking n that street should be good vehicles only 9am to 7pm. But we need a brains and attitude transformation among vehicle users, or all the rule changes in the world will make no difference.
    both.
    It is a major thoroughfare for buses. The amount I've seen having to mount footpaths to get past is ridiculous, as neither can reverse due to traffic.

https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/galway-shows-the-direction-that-commuting-should-take-5d327549
    Galway authorities have poured significant resources into the plan. Figures from earlier this year revealed that nearly €30 million had been spent on researching and planning the ring road. However, research in the past five years has found the city has been trying to solve the wrong problem.
    Based on research by Arup, the international consultancy, the results are clear – and applicable to all Irish cities. Forget about a ring road or wider roads; congestion can be solved by making policies that prioritise every mode of transport except cars.
    In fact, Arup found that a very small number of Galway commuters would use a bypass. Only 3 per cent of travelled between the two outer edges of the city each day, while 60 per cent of trips involved workers starting and ending their commute by car within city limits.
    Not clear from the article - but ARUP are the main Consultancy(and beneficiary of that €30,000,000) tasked with designing the Galway City Ring Road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The lights at the fire station are all sorts of wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

9am to 7pm .... Delivery times ????
    Your having a laugh .
    All deliveries should be made by 11am .
    If you can't get your goods delivered by that time ...move on.
    I've constantly been on this forum about eglinton street.
    Every Saturday and Sunday cars parked all along that road with no tickets .
    Buses struggle to get past one another and yet city council/ gardai turn a blind eye to it .
    Could you imagine that been tolerated on o Connell street in Dublin ??
    Galway is a joke of a city !!!

9am to 7pm .... Delivery times ????
    Your having a laugh .
    All deliveries should be made by 11am .
    If you can't get your goods delivered by that time ...move on.

Could you imagine that been tolerated on o Connell street in Dublin ??
    Galway is a joke of a city !!!

Yeah .. .the An Post workers doing a pickup at 5:30pm might have an issue with that idea.

Overall, deliveries are focussed on the pedestrianised streets until 10:30am, because vehicles need to be be out of them. Non-pedestrianised streets are done later in the day. It's not realistic to expect them all to be complete by 11am, when some businesses aren't open to receive deliveries until 9 or even 10am.

Comparing a city of (maybe) 80k people with Dublin is just silly. Different on oh-so-many ways.

Under the current plans, Eglinton Street is to be busee, pedestrians and cyclists only as far as I recall

Personally I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah .. .the An Post workers doing a pickup at 5:30pm might have an issue with that idea.

Overall, deliveries are focussed on the pedestrianised streets until 10:30am, because vehicles need to be be out of them. Non-pedestrianised streets are done later in the day. It's not realistic to expect them all to be complete by 11am, when some businesses aren't open to receive deliveries until 9 or even 10am.

Comparing a city of (maybe) 80k people with Dublin is just silly. Different on oh-so-many ways.
    Hold on.... It's either a city or not a city .
    It's nuts allowing vehicles parked up along a main road causing traffic problems.
    Same as foster street .
    Vecihcles ( some shop owners ) blocking a bus lane .
    I suppose you tolerate that because there's only 80,000 people living here.
    Typical galway attitude.... Sure it will be grand... Let's just keep burying our heads in the sand and it will go away .
    As for shops opening at 9am or 10am ..
    Get out of bed and take in your deliveries .
    Sure that will be grand to .

Lights are out at the Headford Road Junction. (former Bodkin Roundabout in Terryland)
    This is the busiest junction in the whole City. :eek:
    Hopefully will be fixed ASAP.

Under the current plans, Eglinton Street is to be busee, pedestrians and cyclists only as far as I recall.

A city ...in which it is not possible to pick up from or deliver to the main Post Office, except by bicycle. Yeah, right, that's gonna happen.

Hold on.... It's either a city or not a city .
    It's nuts allowing vehicles parked up along a main road causing traffic problems.
    Same as foster street .
    Vecihcles ( some shop owners ) blocking a bus lane .
    I suppose you tolerate that because there's only 80,000 people living here.
    Typical galway attitude.... Sure it will be grand... Let's just keep burying our heads in the sand and it will go away .
    As for shops opening at 9am or 10am ..
    Get out of bed and take in your deliveries .
    Sure that will be grand to .

Thankfully Galway is nothing like Dublin, who would want to be like that hell hole.

As for forcing people who open late to be in early just for deliveries, feck that bull. God I detest comments stating with “get out of bed”, people operate different hours - get over it you as a taxi driver should understand that more than most.

• Advertisement

A city ...in which it is not possible to pick up from or deliver to the main Post Office, except by bicycle. Yeah, right, that's gonna happen.
    That is the plan City Council have for the street in the Galway Transportation Strategy.
    It is the main retail Post Office, but as a Parcel Depot, that is out in Ballybrit.
    Yes it is going to happen. Don't worry An Post will be able to look after themselves - they have a fleet of electric bikes :D.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/an-post-reveal-new-fleet-of-electric-cargo-bikes-to-be-used-nationwide/

Don't worry An Post will be able to look after themselves - they have a fleet of electric bikes :D.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/an-post-reveal-new-fleet-of-electric-cargo-bikes-to-be-used-nationwide/

At first the bikes will be introduced in Dublin, Galway, Cork and Limerick.

The determination of the accessibility of a city for its residents and visitors is not dependent on the post office needs. The greater good and all that.

Besides they are planning a move/scaling back at that location. The land is just too valuable

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1219/1102071-amazon-dublin-warehouse-report/

If that comes to fruition and Irish customers get upgraded to next day, or same day in some areas,delivery on Amazon orders it's going to crank up the pressure on traditional retailers even higher.

They won't be able to compete if customers have to deal with the hassle of congested cities.

Carry on like this morning with the Headford Road traffic lights is harming business. How many people checked the likes of AA Roadwatch this morning, thought f**k that and went elsewhere or online instead?

grbear wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1219/1102071-amazon-dublin-warehouse-report/

If that comes to fruition and Irish customers get upgraded to next day, or same day in some areas,delivery on Amazon orders it's going to crank up the pressure on traditional retailers even higher.

They won't be able to compete if customers have to deal with the hassle of congested cities.

Carry on like this morning with the Headford Road traffic lights is harming business. How many people checked the likes of AA Roadwatch this morning, thought f**k that and went elsewhere or online instead?
    That's why I don't get the rhetoric of removing cars causing the death of the high street. Most Christmas shopping is probably now done online and that'll continue to grow. High street stores are competing for the browsing shopper instead of the purpose shopper and it's far more attractive to come into an area to browse if it doesn't involve sitting in traffic for an hour.

That is the plan City Council have for the street in the Galway Transportation Strategy.
    It is the main retail Post Office, but as a Parcel Depot, that is out in Ballybrit.
    Yes it is going to happen. Don't worry An Post will be able to look after themselves - they have a fleet of electric bikes :D.

You're unaware of the Address Pal, service, so.
    And that lots of businesses send letters and packages from there each day.

If they're moving - great. But whatever goes in there instead will also need deliveries.

You're unaware of the Address Pal, service, so.
    Your unaware that I am aware of it! :D

Thankfully Galway is nothing like Dublin, who would want to be like that hell hole.

As for forcing people who open late to be in early just for deliveries, feck that bull. God I detest comments stating with “get out of bed”, people operate different hours - get over it you as a taxi driver should understand that more than most.

In a modern city ( something that galway is obviously not ) deliveries / bin collection are done at all hours .
    Not in the village of galway .
    People in their cars trying to get to work stuck behind bin men .
    Ya modern galway .... A joke of a city .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

In a modern city ( something that galway is obviously not ) deliveries / bin collection are done at all hours .
    Not in the village of galway .
    People in their cars trying to get to work stuck behind bin men .
    Ya modern galway .... A joke of a city .

I live 30 minutes outside the city. My bins are collected around 5am :pac:

I was working in Eyre Square until a few weeks ago. A lot of places including pubs do already take deliveries early morning before they open. I'm not sure what city doesn't have garbage trucks doing pick up in some part of the city during business hours. Have experienced it everywhere but it's a fair point for Galway. It's such a small town, the city centre collections with the more narrow roads should be scheduled early mornings. They do collections very early but for some reason, they don't seem to always do the city centre before the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Anyone driving in the city today, How is traffic out there this evening any delays or build ups?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement