Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

After that bit of councillor bashing, it's nice to give some credit where credit's due. Spotted this today... well done on all sides!

https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1284162419301011456?s=19

I don’t get this love in for her from the Galway Cycling group, who’d retweeted the post, and others......didn’t she vote against the temp cycle lanes, why don’t they ask her about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Good turnout for the "Community Cycle in Support of Salthill Cycleway" today.

https://www.facebook.com/568395303666111/posts/905197759985862/?d=null&vh=e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Good turnout for the "Community Cycle in Support of Salthill Cycleway" today.

https://www.facebook.com/568395303666111/posts/905197759985862/?d=null&vh=e

That wasn't a community cycle. Call it what it was which was a protest. When the farmers drove to Dublin and disrupted traffic it wasn't called a community drive.

A protest is a declaration of opposition to something.

This is a monthly family cycle which has been going on for over a year that is pro urban greenways in Galway City.

The overall route they're supporting is Galway City to Barna, the monthly cycles are from the Claddagh to Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

A protest is a declaration of opposition to something.

This is a monthly family cycle which has been going on for over a year that is pro urban greenways in Galway City.

The overall route they're supporting is Galway City to Barna, the monthly cycles are from the Claddagh to Blackrock.

Of course it's a protest, as you're trying to promote an alternative to something you're against or want to change..
    Claddagh to Blackrock... pretty short cycle.
    But I agree with what you're trying to achieve all the same, at least call it what it is.
    Monthly family cycle protest maybe..?

• Advertisement

I genuinely don't think so. Tractors arriving into a city, where they don't otherwise have any business, with the objective of disruption to get their message out is very different.

These are cyclists and families cycling along the same route where they want safe cycling infrastructure. If cycling that route doesn't mix well with other road users then that just further highlights the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

I genuinely don't think so. Tractors arriving into a city, where they don't otherwise have any business, with the objective of disruption to get their message out is very different.

These are cyclists and families cycling along the same route where they want safe cycling infrastructure. If cycling that route doesn't mix well with other road users then that just further highlights the need.

That's true for tractors, but on any normal day you would never have such a large group of cyclists on the city roads as a group. Bringing them all together to cycle from the Claddagh to Blackrock is only about getting a message out, especially in light of the recent voting down of cycle infrastructure in Salthill I guess..
    I'm not against it btw, I just do not think it will achieve anything.

As for cycling infrastructure in Galway, IMO you'll be a long time waiting for it. I say that as someone who cycles a 10K roundtrip from city east to city centre 3 or 4 days a week. Have a car too but avoid driving into town at all costs tbh.

There are kids in that group that would be dangerously vulnerable cycling in Salthill without the protection of the bigger group. The monthly cycle gives them a chance to cycle in Salthill as a family. Similar to the daily cycle bus in Knocknacarra.

Protest? It sounds too strong a word to me, maybe, it's all semantics. It highlights the cause. For a protest I'd expect something like 3hrs cycling over and back continually between the two roundabout, it wasn't that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

For a protest I'd expect something like 3hrs cycling over and back continually between the two roundabout, it wasn't that.

So how long did it take to cycle between the roundabouts? 40 mins? So that's ok then. Is it over one hour that it becomes a protest or must it be longer?
    Imagine protesting for a Greenway and not actually cycling anywhere near the route.

So how long did it take to cycle between the roundabouts? 40 mins? So that's ok then. Is it over one hour that it becomes a protest or must it be longer?

Seapoint roundabout to Blackrock roundabout, less than 10mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Seapoint roundabout to Blackrock roundabout, less than 10mins.

Struggling to see why anyone would cycle that route. It's a 30/40 minute walk.
    The whole point of "doing the prom" is to meet people and enjoy the views, and you cannot do either if you're controlling a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The whole point of "doing the prom" is to meet people and enjoy the views, and you cannot do either if you're controlling a vehicle.

Yes of course, I mean why would anyone want to cycle along a scenic route. It's obviously never been done before, anywhere. Not a Greenway to be seen or heard of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The mind boggles

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There are no words :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

'Why would you want to get some where in X amount of time when you could take 4X amount of time to get there?'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The mind boggles
    Kingp35 wrote: »
    There are no words :confused:
    Didn't she previously claim walking from Eyre Square to the cinema on Headford Road was an unthinkable ordeal? :pac:

Different strokes for different folks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A lot will cycle to get there in the first place. Less hassle than the car.

Amazing thing about bikes is you can lock them up or walk them alongside you if you cycle there to meet people who are walking. Also, you can stop them very easily, no looking for parking or worried that you're holding up traffic like you would be in a car. So, if you meet someone or want to enjoy the views it's very easily done on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭serfboard

RT&#201 wrote:
    Plans to alter speed limits on a number of routes in and around Galway city are to be subject to public consultation in the coming weeks.
    They include a plan to reduce the city centre speed limit to 30 kilometres per hour and to increase the limit on sections of Bóthar Na dTreabh, an orbital route on the east side of the city. On some sections of that road the limit would increase from 50kmph to 80km/h, with a smaller increase to 60 km/h on other sections.

The special 30 km/h zone would take in the areas around Newcastle and Bohermore, the city centre and the Cladagh.
    I presume that the section of Bothar Na dTreabh to get the 80K limit is the one between the Tuam Road and the Headford Road, where most drivers do this speed anyway.

I also presume that the 30K sections for the City Centre, Bohermore, Newcastle and the Claddagh are just for starters - I would imagine that everywhere inside the Threadneedle Road/O'Donnell Road/SQR arc will be included eventually.

"subject to public consultation" - set up a website for a few week, welcome views and submissions then disregard and let a few businesses decide what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

serfboard wrote: »
    I also presume that the 30K sections for the City Centre, Bohermore, Newcastle and the Claddagh are just for starters - I would imagine that everywhere inside the Threadneedle Road/O'Donnell Road/SQR arc will be included eventually.

Map I seen recently with the proposals did not have Newcastle or the Claddagh in it. It is a very small area in City Centre that is proposed to be 30kmph

Cllr. Owen Hanley shared a map...

https://twitter.com/OwenHanleyLives/status/1285253908823257089?s=20

It all looks very reasonable. Note the position of the red line, Lough Atalia is not included for example.

The bump to 60 and 80 kph on parts of Bóthar Na dTreabh should be a good sweetener to push it though.

Here's the "City Centre Access Network" from the GTS mentioned in that tweet.

520760.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When flying past in a car, this looks like a perfectly good cycle lane so I can understand why motorists think cyclists have quality facilities.

Here's the reality, this is a part of the cycle lane on Bothar na dTreabh, dangerous if you hit this on a road bike.

520007.jpg

jesus that is just awful, you could over over the handlebars if you hit that on a road bike. No wonder cyclists dont use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Muahahaha wrote: »
    jesus that is just awful, you could over over the handlebars if you hit that on a road bike. No wonder cyclists dont use them.

The red ones at same level as the road are worse - all the small stones, dirt and broken glass that would normally accumulate up against the kerb on the road is instead spread all over the cycle lane and never moved/cleaned.

Either risk punctures or cycle on the road instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ya confirms that the Claddagh and Newcastle are NOT included. (NUIG Campus is not under remit of the City Hall)
    That 30kmph ZONE could easily extend into Claddagh and towards Salthill, and Shantalla as most roads in those areas would naturally lend themselves to this Zone limit.

Unless they put fixed automatic speed detection cameras along the roads in the 30km/h zone, they might as well forget about it, particularly along Bohermore and Headford Rd to shopping centre.

In any case, the few businesses will say no, and that will be that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

ratracer wrote: »
    Unless they put fixed automatic speed detection cameras along the roads in the 30km/h zone, they might as well forget about it, particularly along Bohermore and Headford Rd to shopping centre.

In any case, the few businesses will say no, and that will be that!

Why would a buisness say no to a reduction on speed limit

The late night taxis might have some issues with it.

• Advertisement

Why would a buisness say no to a reduction on speed limit

For the same completely illogical reason they said no to cycle lanes??

It was a (kinda) sarcastic remark!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement