Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

It’s almost suggesting that having an unpunctual bus service (because it’s always stuck in traffic) and a bike lane, that begins and ends at dangerous roundabouts, are both disincentives to using those facilities.

Good points and I suggested that they trial of a public transport system and was told it had to permanent or nothing.

How do we intend to deal with roundabouts for cyclists?

If these things are given what would be the expected increase in cycling or Public Transport...

Be realistic... What is the cost and what is the benefit...

Sorry I don't think building a huge cycling lane network in Galway will lead to 20%+ cycling... I have cited weather topography and population density as the reasons...

Public transport might be more beneficial.

As for believe the experts... Hired experts have been used time and time again in the city and the results have been very mixed... Like to see some trial and error.

I am not the one being reasonable. I am just saying trial and error stuff... Should we have a bit more than build it and they will come approach...

How about
    E-bikes
    High Vehicle Occupancy
    Trial proper bus routes (with lanes)
    Work from Home initiatives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

courtesy of Luas, this shows the high caliber of cyclists failing to adhering rules of the road.

They should use what has being given and if there issues with what is provided then write to council to have it addressed or engage your local Councillor.

the yahoo that cycles with the camera in hand filming people and their children should be banned from the road. Danger to those around. No fines or penalty points for these folks.

cyclists should be registered if on the road and sure why not.. they should pay road tax if they want a decent surface.

in galway it rains over 200 days in the year.... PT with P&R is the way forward as a solution to getting people in and around galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Laviski wrote: »
    courtesy of Luas, this shows the high caliber of cyclists failing to adhering rules of the road.

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1286357240224587778?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1286357240224587778%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058033834page%3D121

^^ before you get overexcited. Cyclists are clearly the safest road users in Dublin City. And there's a lot of them. Also, some of the people in the footage are children. They happen to be on bikes, but they're still children.

59% of incidents are caused by motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

lThey should use what has being given and if there issues with what is provided then write to council to have it addressed or engage your local Councillor.

I reported the dangerous state of the cycle lane pictured earlier to the council every month for about a year, nothing was done.
    cyclists should be registered if on the road and sure why not.. they should pay road tax if they want a decent surface.

Why not make motorists pay road tax too then, since the vast majority of roads get designed primarily for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ah the old road tax one again, how original...

They should use what has being given and if there issues with what is provided then write to council to have it addressed or engage your local Councillor.

the yahoo that cycles with the camera in hand filming people and their children should be banned from the road. Danger to those around. No fines or penalty points for these folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Oh wait bother gem bringing up weather...

in galway it rains over 200 days in the year.... PT with P&R is the way forward as a solution to getting people in and around galway.

As a fellow motorist I implore you not to start with the road tax for cyclists. If a tiny €5 a year road tax is introduced for cyclists, the road tax for motorists will a massive multitude of that €5. We pay enough taxes as it is when we buy or cars, motor tax, insure, NCT & maintain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Oh wait bother gem bringing up weather...

Yes bring up the weather.. its relevant.

If you're really committed to cycling then you'll deal with it, but for many it's not an option when the weather is poor.
    Of course what you call poor weather is a matter of personal opinion, but it will keep alot of people in their cars more days than they'll cycle. Myself included.

call a spade a space, using excuse for not using cycle lanes due to road condition. now the pic used was only on one side of the road - whats wrong with the other side, used it myself myself don't get and punctures or a unsatisfactory ride. Keeps me safe off the main road being exactly where i should be.
    dedicated cyclists just demand, demand demand but don't pay or want to pay.... hence if you want infra - then pay for it. Talk to your new green general now part of government to start hiking taxes which is probably going to happen.

weather is galway is real, galway isn't a flat city, cycling up a hill with the SW winds in full force in your face from the Atlantic ain't fun. If i get wet and putting some effort in i have better ways to do so that i would enjoy.

a lot of reporting of poor cycling behavior just isn't reported as they have no registration plate or a method to identify them unless they become known to gardai.

• Advertisement

if anything the electric scooters should have more legal standing that they do today. Great way to get around and when the weather is crap, just fold up and get on the bus.

But our PT is just crap with exception of the 409.

dedicated cyclists just demand, demand demand but don't pay or want to pay.... hence if you want infra - then pay for it

Cyclists and motorists pay tax. If you want to demand tax equality for cycle infrastructure & motor infrastructure you're playing right in to the hands of the cycle lobbyists. It's almost as silly as demanding road tax for road users.

I have one bike and three cars, you'll put two of my cars off the road with your ill thought demands. Calm down and think through what you're asking for.

Main point is why give them anything when they don't use what they have.
    Cyclist don't pay road tax for their bicycle on the road, there is no registration on bikes that make them easily identifyable. Road tax for cyclist would never happen im just going to the other end of the spectrum. They constantly demanding more infra which they don't contribute cause they don't pay road tax but even when stuff is built they don't bloddy well use it. How many cyclist have you seen actually use the cyclist button that were installed at lights specifically for them....

It's great for cyclist with camera in one hand breaking the rules of the road while filming drivers and their passengers. However if a driver was to do the same they would be reported by said cyclist given fine and penalty point possibly charge of dangerous driving if u get a bell end guard on an power trip....

Provision priority should be made for bus lanes on both sides on all artillery routes with a high frequency bus company that will do it. Instead of a private company choosing when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

call a spade a space, using excuse for not using cycle lanes due to road condition. now the pic used was only on one side of the road - whats wrong with the other side, used it myself myself don't get and punctures or a unsatisfactory ride. Keeps me safe off the main road being exactly where i should be.
    dedicated cyclists just demand, demand demand but don't pay or want to pay.... hence if you want infra - then pay for it. Talk to your new green general now part of government to start hiking taxes which is probably going to happen.

weather is galway is real, galway isn't a flat city, cycling up a hill with the SW winds in full force in your face from the Atlantic ain't fun. If i get wet and putting some effort in i have better ways to do so that i would enjoy.

a lot of reporting of poor cycling behavior just isn't reported as they have no registration plate or a method to identify them unless they become known to gardai.

As a start, you might report yourself for poor cycling by going up the wrong lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I understand it falls under the remit of transport, but cycling infrastructure is really a seperate discussion to traffic doesn't it?

My 2 cents is this, cycling infrastructure is desperately needed in some areas of Galway, however this shouldn't always be done to the detriment of motorized vehicles, as is often the done thing.

However, expecting this to solve traffic to any great extent, and that everyone and their grandmother will have bikes is just absurd.

The weather in Galway is horrific, especially the winter just gone. Rotten almost everyday. Most people don't want to cycle to work, to get soaked going in and soaked coming back home. If you do, great. We need to be realistic here and we are limited by climate.

Let's pretend that despite the weather, many get a bike so they can cycle to work when the weathers good. Great, what happens when the forecast is bad? Traffic grinds to a halt? A very poor solution imo.

Public transport and carpooling is the way to go to reduce traffic among our existing routes. Cycling is a dud of an idea in terms of traffic reduction in Galway. However, this does not mean cycling infrastructure should be ignored, far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Both cycle paths on Bothar na dTreabh are a disaster, you're simply not telling the truth if saying otherwise. Just this week the inbound side was strewn with glass from a vehicular accident (apparently it's not just bikes causing accidents). The cycle path has in the past been completely blocked with road signs, is uneven due to roots and is strewn with glass, metal and pieces of car debris daily.

If you think that's acceptable, in good condition and conducive to increasing cycling then you're fooling none bar yourself. As for your baseless final paragraph, sure can't we say the same for every mode of transport. I didn't report the taxi that forced me off my bike on the Dublin Rd for example.

If you think that's acceptable, in good condition and conducive to increasing cycling then you're fooling none bar yourself. As for your baseless final paragraph, sure can't we say the same for every mode of transport. I didn't report the taxi that forced me off my bike on the Dublin Rd for example.

since those roads were built usage for cyclist is barely existent, be it cycling or driving the amount of cyclist is barely 1 on crossing at peak times, sure you get the odd group. Same can be said for the entire stretch to knocknacarra.
    I ain't from the royal family and as such not expecting red carpet treatment, i have used the other side numerous times when taking alternate route a result of needing to go to the menlo park hotel for blood donations - the cycle path is fine (not saying perfect) which keeps me safe away from vehicle traffic on main road. Perhaps you should invest in a bike with suspension and get a new seat with a cushion.

If you can't take the 1 or 2 seconds to look and remember a licence plate, then that is your problem/inability. Perhaps you should invest in a go pro with the appropriate helmet so its safely attached.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I understand it falls under the remit of transport, but cycling infrastructure is really a seperate discussion to traffic doesn't it?

My 2 cents is this, cycling infrastructure is desperately needed in some areas of Galway, however this shouldn't always be done to the detriment of motorized vehicles, as is often the done thing.

However, expecting this to solve traffic to any great extent, and that everyone and their grandmother will have bikes is just absurd.

The weather in Galway is horrific, especially the winter just gone. Rotten almost everyday. Most people don't want to cycle to work, to get soaked going in and soaked coming back home. If you do, great. We need to be realistic here and we are limited by climate.

Let's pretend that despite the weather, many get a bike so they can cycle to work when the weathers good. Great, what happens when the forecast is bad? Traffic grinds to a halt? A very poor solution imo.

Public transport and carpooling is the way to go to reduce traffic among our existing routes. Cycling is a dud of an idea in terms of traffic reduction in Galway. However, this does not mean cycling infrastructure should be ignored, far from it.

many not going to get many to listen to that, makes too much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Has wet gear made it west of the Shannon yet?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Has wet gear made it west of the Shannon yet?

I know, you'd think we were forced to cycle in the nip.

• Advertisement

since those roads were built usage for cyclist is barely existent, be it cycling or driving the amount of cyclist is barely 1 on crossing at peak times, sure you get the odd group. Same can be said for the entire stretch to knocknacarra.
    I ain't from the royal family and as such not expecting red carpet treatment, i have used the other side numerous times when taking alternate route a result of needing to go to the menlo park hotel for blood donations - the cycle path is fine (not saying perfect) which keeps me safe away from vehicle traffic on main road. Perhaps you should invest in a bike with suspension and get a new seat with a cushion.

If you can't take the 1 or 2 seconds to look and remember a licence plate, then that is your problem/inability. Perhaps you should invest in a go pro with the appropriate helmet so its safely attached.

Nobody should be required to send more on their bike due to poorly maintained surfaces. Let's be glad you're not involved in urban planning if that's your solution. And don't worry about my inability or ability, I had the taxi plate and number plate but I chose not to report, just pointing out how not all vehicular incidents are reported.

eco warriors out in full force. Have wet gear have a bike have water proof backpack but gear up going to work or to town knowing weather is pelting, good luck. Will take the car every time as many do which is very evident on wet days on how bad traffic is.

will gear up for long day/weekend trips.
    but I chose not to report

at least you have a choice, reporting cyclist for recklessness is pointless without being able to identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

These are a few fanciful measures that i think would greatly reduce traffic in the city.

1. 2 new large secondary schools (close the others and sell the land), one located each side of the river and in a location that would lend itself to all forms of transport. Students would have to go to the school on their side of the river. Students going to Primary schools would have to be within a certain distance to attend.

2. Move UHG Hospital to Merlin or similar site.

3. Greatly reduce parking within the core of the city and provide FREE, fast, reliable and frequent park and ride on the major arteries.

I originally said fanciful measures as it would take a huge amount of political will and foresight to implement any of these measures. When has Galway or Ireland had either?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Cyclists and motorists pay tax. If you want to demand tax equality for cycle infrastructure & motor infrastructure you're playing right in to the hands of the cycle lobbyists. It's almost as silly as demanding road tax for road users.

I have one bike and three cars, you'll put two of my cars off the road with your ill thought demands. Calm down and think through what you're asking for.

This argument that “I have a car and to tax on that so why on a bike” falls down by the fact if you have two cars you pay tax on two cars if you have 2 cars and a tractor you pay tax on all 3. Anything that goes on the road with wheels pays tax except for bikes (and scooters etc but these are far less prevalent for now anyway).

We should be reducing the cost of car ownership which is far too high and taking money off cyclists etc who don’t contribute for that vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

This argument that “I have a car and to tax on that so why on a bike” falls down by the fact if you have two cars you pay tax on two cars if you have 2 cars and a tractor you pay tax on all 3. Anything that goes on the road with wheels pays tax except for bikes (and scooters etc but these are far less prevalent for now anyway).

We should be reducing the cost of car ownership which is far too high and taking money off cyclists etc who don’t contribute for that vehicle.

Motorist pay Carbon Tax not road tax. How much tax does an electric car pay?

topcat77 wrote: »
    Motorist pay Carbon Tax not road tax. How much tax does an electric car pay?

Still more than a cyclist. All motor vehicles including electric cars pay road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

In all likelihood the cyclists are paying tax but doing us a favour and leaving the car at home.

Will you be taxing school children cycling to school? Or do they have to be driven there as well now if they can't fork up?

donvito99 wrote: »
    In all likelihood the cyclists are paying tax but doing us a favour and leaving the car at home.

Will you be taxing school children cycling to school? Or do they have to be driven there as well now if they can't fork up?

Road tax is for road infrastructure and maintenance. So road tax should foot the bill for cyclist infra that cyclist barely use.
    Makes sense.

Still more than a cyclist. All motor vehicles including electric cars pay road tax.

How has the cycling tax gotten on in other countries? You know, the ones where they actually have cycling infrastructure. Looking forward to reading about it.

• Advertisement

How has the cycling tax gotten on in other countries? You know, the ones where they actually have cycling infrastructure. Looking forward to reading about it.

Those countries actually have someone in panning that has a braincell. A lot of European countries have way better PT that Ireland could ever hope to achieve even half of it. Cycle infra goes as part of that solution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement