Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. Not zero risk, but very little. More people injure themselves tripping up while drunk. Cycle led injuries are so minuscule in comparison the injuries and deaths that cars cause there's no compulsory insurance.

And there never will be. That's the way it's going to remain. Move on, worry about something important. ;)

I've had a cyclist do several thousand euro worth of damage to my safely, legally, parked car, when they came down a hill, lost control, didn't stop, and ran into the car damaging six or seven different panels.

Did they pay for the damage they caused? Did they fúck. Not insured, and had no money, it wasn't even worth my insurance company trying to chase them. Watching the insurance agent deal with them made me 100% appreciate the value of having insurance. How did I even find them? They left a note with their name and phone number, and a neighbour who saw it happen came and told me it was there. If the cyclist hadn't left the note, there was no way anyone could have identified them - not even the neighbour who say it happen.

Is it common? I have no idea. But it is the most damage I've ever had done to a vehicle of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

I've had a cyclist do several thousand euro worth of damage to my safely, legally, parked car, when they came down a hill, lost control, didn't stop, and ran into the car damaging six or seven different panels.

Did they pay for the damage they caused? Did they fúck. Not insured, and had no money, it wasn't even worth my insurance company trying to chase them. Watching the insurance agent deal with them made me 100% appreciate the value of having insurance. How did I even find them? They left a note with their name and phone number, and a neighbour who saw it happen came and told me it was there. If the cyclist hadn't left the note, there was no way anyone could have identified them - not even the neighbour who say it happen.

Is it common? I have no idea. But it is the most damage I've ever had done to a vehicle of mine.

It’s one cyclist, not ‘they’ as you referred to. How did you find them? They left their name and number attached to an otherwise unidentifiable (to the cyclist) vehicle parked presumably on the side of the road. Is this why you tar all cyclists with the same brush, because one didn’t have money to pay for damage to your car? S/He should have paid up, IMO, or at least some if they hadn’t all the cost.

Do you know what, I’ve had my car damaged in a car park one more than one occasion, by other people driving cars, and both times no one left details so I also had to pay for it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Thoughts on pedestrians being required to wear publicly visible ID? In case they accidentally break something. Otherwise who knows who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

Why wouldn’t you drive rather than that hardship every morning?

The bus journey in the morning is quicker than a car journey because of the bus lane.
    Also I don't want to be an extra car on the road. The cars parked around the school at drop off and pick up are ridiculus.

I suppose in an ideal world most kids within Galway city would be in walking/cycling distance of schools and housing was built with more permiabilty to facilitate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

ratracer wrote: »
    It’s one cyclist, not ‘they’ as you referred to. How did you find them? They left their name and number attached to an otherwise unidentifiable (to the cyclist) vehicle parked presumably on the side of the road. Is this why you tar all cyclists with the same brush, because one didn’t have money to pay for damage to your car? S/He should have paid up, IMO, or at least some if they hadn’t all the cost.

Do you know what, I’ve had my car damaged in a car park one more than one occasion, by other people driving cars, and both times no one left details so I also had to pay for it myself.

Unidentifiable???
    It's got number plates on both ends of the car!!!!
    The cyclist was involved in a road traffic accident. He's supposed to phone the Gardai and give his details.
    You know, like vehicle registration and insurance.....oh wait...oops..my bad

• Advertisement

I’d have taken him to court to get the money, no way would I leave him away with it. No better than a fella that’s kicks off a wing mirror on the way home from the pub

Unidentifiable???
    It's got number plates on both ends of the car!!!!
    The cyclist was involved in a road traffic accident. He's supposed to phone the Gardai and give his details.
    You know, like vehicle registration and insurance.....oh wait...oops..my bad

How do you know the cyclist didn’t report it to the Gardaí?
    And also how can a cyclist identify the owner of the parked car? It is as much as the cyclist can do to leave details on the vehicle, or would you have him/ her wait around all day in case car owner might come back?

No better than a fella that’s kicks off a wing mirror on the way home from the pub

Or a motorist who knocks a mirror off a passing car on a country road and continues to drive off?

How do you know the cyclist didn’t report it to the Gardaí?
    And also how can a cyclist identify the owner of the parked car? It is as much as the cyclist can do to leave details on the vehicle, or would you have him/ her wait around all day in case car owner might come back?

There was no mention of Gardai in Bumbles post. Cyclist could've knocked on a few doors to find the owner.
    But why wait around and take responsibility for their actions right?

And we KNOW they didn't take responsibility because they didn't pay for the damage.

There was no mention of Gardai in Bumbles post. Cyclist could've knocked on a few doors to find the owner.
    But why wait around and take responsibility for their actions right?

And we KNOW they didn't take responsibility because they didn't pay for the damage.

There’s also no mention of whether they did or didn’t knock on doors. But they left contact details!

This is kinda derailing a thread about traffic, discussing the actions of one individual.

Noticeably, you didn’t question the two drivers who on separate occasions damaged my car in a car park and left absolutely no contact details. Is that ok?

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Rejected by the people in the last election but got a nice well paid job in Seanad. He doesn’t represent anyone only himself and FG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

this has nothing to do with easing galway's traffic problems.
    thread mostly filled with cyclist fan boys

Laviski wrote: »
    this has nothing to do with easing galway's traffic problems.
    thread mostly filled with cyclist fan boys

How do you propose to improve traffic flow without removing some cars from the roads?

Developing proper, functional public transport links and cycling infrastructure are the only way to achieve this. There is no their way to break the dependence people have on cars.

Developing proper, functional public transport links with BUS and P&R infrastructure are the only way to achieve this. There is no their way to break the dependence people have on cars.

fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I’d have taken him to court to get the money, no way would I leave him away with it. No better than a fella that’s kicks off a wing mirror on the way home from the pub

I'd take that story with a pinch of salt to be honest. Mrs OBumble has near misses EVERY day with cyclists, unlike everyone else, she dodges death and injury on a weekly basis and can barely make it around the city without risking life and limb with errant cyclists.

She has hundreds of anti-cycling posts on boards.ie so it's hardly surprising she has a story about her car that was almost totalled by a person on a bike!!

fixed that for you

I had forgotten to add P&R, but, if you don’t mind me asking, why are you so anti-cyclist?

I had forgotten to add P&R, but, if you don’t mind me asking, why are you so anti-cyclist?

i'm not.
    just aware there isn't money for everything and to solve galway traffic problems (which is the focus of this thread) you need an effective Bus network providing a real alternative.
    If ireland were are an oil rich nation with money thrown everywhere then ya id say just build a tram/metro/cycle lanes/ pedestrian only routes, spam the crap out of it but we don't, we are a broke nation where current tax payers will be paying and probably the next gen too. At lot has do with historical voting for the two main parties which principal cause of the mess we are in so lets leave that there as this thread is derailed enough.

there is a lot of cyclist enthusiasts on here specially in this thread. great for them, they want to gear up in wet gear most days in the year to get through the weather, good on them. If i had medals i'll give them all one, maybe i'll organise something from Mr Price.

the reality is no amount of cycle infra is going to get people out of their cars in a city beside the Atlantic ocean. If i can get from A to B and takes the same length of time as a car or quicker without waiting long at a bus stop, then we are on a winner. Hence i reference the 409, best service in town (but still suffers as no complete bus lane). Going from a residential west side of the city to the east side where many of the multinationals are setup, taking the car is the most effective way. On the worst day for traffic in galway, car would still be quicker than the bus to cross town. that is what simply needs to change. better routes, bus only lanes, higher frequency.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'd take that story with a pinch of salt to be honest. Mrs OBumble has near misses EVERY day with cyclists, unlike everyone else, she dodges death and injury on a weekly basis and can barely make it around the city without risking life and limb with errant cyclists.

She has hundreds of anti-cycling posts on boards.ie so it's hardly surprising she has a story about her car that was almost totalled by a person on a bike!!

I've reported this post. You're pretty much calling another poster a liar without any proof.
    It's really poor method of debate by any standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

topcat77 wrote: »
    These are a few fanciful measures that i think would greatly reduce traffic in the city.

1. 2 new large secondary schools (close the others and sell the land), one located each side of the river and in a location that would lend itself to all forms of transport. Students would have to go to the school on their side of the river. Students going to Primary schools would have to be within a certain distance to attend.

2. Move UHG Hospital to Merlin or similar site.

3. Greatly reduce parking within the core of the city and provide FREE, fast, reliable and frequent park and ride on the major arteries.

I originally said fanciful measures as it would take a huge amount of political will and foresight to implement any of these measures. When has Galway or Ireland had either?

No and hell No... Each School has difference ethos and focus... Merging schools would be a massive reduction in education quality. Also having one big school will just create one big traffic jam in front of it... Schools are far closer to population centers than Work Places

2. What would moving the Hospital accomplish... You want to move the Hospital, Doctors(who have to live close because on call) & huge amount of staff... There families have to move... Schools would have to be built...
    Lets also notice that you want to move the hospital right beside two other hospitals... So what is the purpose of that..
    The UCHG site is plenty big enough if it is planned better...

This makes sense and has been tried and failed. Now in fairness the reason for the failure was laid on the lack of a dedicated bus lane...
    This is where I have issue... Our main traffic jam is from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit and back... While P&R has some advantages and should be trialed. Lets see how it works out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've reported this post. You're pretty much calling another poster a liar without any proof.

I'm sure you've also reported the anti cycling childish name calling by posters too? Another poor debating attempt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I've reported this post.

I’ve reported this post for back seat moderation

sasal wrote: »
    topcat77 wrote: »
    These are a few fanciful measures that i think would greatly reduce traffic in the city.

Students going to Primary schools would have to be within a certain distance to attend.

We can see a primary school from our kitchen window.
    Unfortunatly we couldn't get our daughter in there. So every morning I had to get her and her toddler sister in a buggy onto the bus to go to another school. The bus was often held up by car traffic. Then had to do it over again for the half one pick up.

It's a massive waste of time and money.

I know I am being a bit cruel but the school is full... Have you evidence of children coming from way out of the area to the school?

I don't want my child going to the closest school to us... Don't like there ethos and there is far better schools around for us by going less than a kilometer extra travel (there is three and any of them I consider good)...

Unfortunately good schools are hard to get into...

How do you propose to improve traffic flow without removing some cars from the roads?

Developing proper, functional public transport links and cycling infrastructure are the only way to achieve this. There is no their way to break the dependence people have on cars.

HOV is worth considering...

Cycling looks like a dead duck when faced with real numbers...

Public Transport looks far more promising but would take investment. I have said earlier we should trail bus routes and rent extra buses and see what works for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

CowboyTed wrote: »
    sasal wrote: »

I know I am being a bit cruel but the school is full... Have you evidence of children coming from way out of the area to the school?

I don't want my child going to the closest school to us... Don't like there ethos and there is far better schools around for us by going less than a kilometer extra travel (there is three and any of them I consider good)...

Unfortunately good schools are hard to get into...

But schools have not been used in months and spend 3 months of the year locked up so we should not be investing in them as they aren't being used. This is your manifesto.

i'm not.
    just aware there isn't money for everything and to solve galway traffic problems (which is the focus of this thread) you need an effective Bus network providing a real alternative.
    If ireland were are an oil rich nation with money thrown everywhere then ya id say just build a tram/metro/cycle lanes/ pedestrian only routes, spam the crap out of it but we don't, we are a broke nation where current tax payers will be paying and probably the next gen too. At lot has do with historical voting for the two main parties which principal cause of the mess we are in so lets leave that there as this thread is derailed enough.

there is a lot of cyclist enthusiasts on here specially in this thread. great for them, they want to gear up in wet gear most days in the year to get through the weather, good on them. If i had medals i'll give them all one, maybe i'll organise something from Mr Price.

the reality is no amount of cycle infra is going to get people out of their cars in a city beside the Atlantic ocean. If i can get from A to B and takes the same length of time as a car or quicker without waiting long at a bus stop, then we are on a winner. Hence i reference the 409, best service in town (but still suffers as no complete bus lane). Going from a residential west side of the city to the east side where many of the multinationals are setup, taking the car is the most effective way. On the worst day for traffic in galway, car would still be quicker than the bus to cross town. that is what simply needs to change. better routes, bus only lanes, higher frequency.

Talking way too much sense...

I would put a plug in cycling and concentrate on PT... I sat in the pub the other night and a friend who is always driving around the city for work. He was dead against closing Salmon Weir Bridge.
    So I proposed... If we trialed it for a month reviewed and could extend to three months staring this winter. We get in buses and run a proper bus route across town.. But our aim is 30% bus travel in peak times would be willing to give up a bridge...
    The most ardent car driver I know agreed... He said loosing the bridge would be difficult but if we can move around the city better it would be worth it...

This is that kind of targets that have to be set and met... Trial and error is allowed. Sorry but people pushing traffic experts as some kind of deities we have seen before... We have seen them screw up after screw up...

HOV is worth considering...

Cycling looks like a dead duck when faced with real numbers...

Public Transport looks far more promising but would take investment. I have said earlier we should trail bus routes and rent extra buses and see what works for the city.

So there is no money for cycling or bus lanes, but there should be another car lane??

Cycling is not a dead duck, isn’t the govt going to invest €360m in it over the lifetime of this govt? Why shouldn’t Galway be making the most of this ring fenced finding?

It’s rather unfortunate (and depressing from my point of view) that the chief executive of the city council doesn’t work harder for it. The existing design of cycle lanes has been, at best, a box ticking exercise, when it should be part of a long term plan for future city transport requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We get in buses and run a proper bus route across town.. But our aim is 30% bus travel in peak times would be willing to give up a bridge...
    The most ardent car driver I know agreed... He said loosing the bridge would be difficult but if we can move around the city better it would be worth it...

Short trials of us routes tend to fail, because they don't give enough time for people to change their behaviours. Also, in a post-Covid world I don't expect shared transport to be a major part of anything.

I'm interested to hear what you think would be a "proper bus route across town".

Cycling is not a dead duck, isn’t the govt going to invest €360m in it over the lifetime of this govt? Why shouldn’t Galway be making the most of this ring fenced finding?

This and also there is Covid-19 active mobility funding available now for the likes of the Salthill cycle lanes. It's not going to take from funding for other roads.

Dublin City Council are pulling everything they can from that fund at the moment while it's available.

• Advertisement

Dublin City Council are pulling everything they can from that fund at the moment while it's available.

And, strangely, Dublin traffic hasn’t ground to a halt........ imagine that!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement