Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Good to see positive news confirmed on the project that will really make a difference to the city traffic.

The minister reaffirming the vital importance of the bypass to Galway city and county and confirming that funding for the project is secure.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/finance-minister-says-funding-for-key-galway-projects-is-secure/?fbclid=IwAR2Z53ugxDJRe4Uv5rUa_QZf3k0OK8GH4yLEFnos0JL34OwmYx3Zy4ySrCQ

Great to see this positive news for Galway. The nonsense spouted by the pro-bikes and anti everything else people is thankfully ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

?Cee?view wrote: »
    The nonsense spouted by the pro-bikes and anti everything else people is thankfully ignored.

Doesn't seem to be the case considering the major inroads into wider footpaths, bus priority, pop up cycle lanes, pedestrianisation, removal of parking spaces, etc.

And traffic levels/journey times - the "nonsense spouted" by myself and others - post 'city bypass' remain to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

CowboyTed wrote: »
    I reference a document which we don't have a copy of before... It was a 2008 Galway transport plan which had an aim of 20% Cycling, 20% PT, 20% Walking and 40% Cars I think... The Cycling and Public Transport are definitely right. You can say I am lying but nobody is disputing the Galway Corporation didn't produce drivil before.

Would it be this?
    https://issuu.com/galwaybikes/docs/galway_transportation_unit_plan_2008-2012

Closest thing I can find on Google. Not saying anyone is lying, just want to see what you're loosely referring to over and over and what was proposed to meet this targets vs what was actually delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Great to see this positive news for Galway. The nonsense spouted by the pro-bikes and anti everything else people is thankfully ignored.
    I think most people who cycle are also in favor of improved PT and walking infrastructure. There's probably a few nut jobs out there that think cycling is the only thing we should allow, but anyone I've talked to is primarily in favor of moving away from car dependency and ensuring safe travel for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The minister reaffirming the vital importance of the bypass to Galway city and county and confirming that funding for the project is secure.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/finance-minister-says-funding-for-key-galway-projects-is-secure/?fbclid=IwAR2Z53ugxDJRe4Uv5rUa_QZf3k0OK8GH4yLEFnos0JL34OwmYx3Zy4ySrCQ

Interesting why he had to say that?
    Nothing has happened re the Ring Road since ABP Oral Hearing was closed down.
    Decade away anyhow if it ever starts.
    Side note. I welcome the Moycullen bypass, will be a nice village to live in once that is completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Increase in Population
    University getting bigger
    Economy increasing
    Higher rents mean more students driving

12.7% can be for a lot of reasons... higher rent would be a big one... If you cam from Athenry, Headford, Tuam or Balinrobe it was way cheaper to live at home and drive...

Also is this measuring during peak hours or all the time?

I am not saying one way or the other... But someone paid €1.8 million for a junction and he had to make it look like it worked...

Serious chip on the shoulder there.

It's well known the world over that roundabouts do not work under heavy traffic - they have no flow control, and if any exit is backed up then the roundabout ceases to work entirely. Nobody can cross it once 1 exit is full.

Roundabouts have no place in a city - the only reason Nox loves roundabouts is because he (from his own admission) avoids rush hour during his commute, so never had to deal with the massive build ups around Terryland when Bodkin roundabout was a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Ah come on, you can't constantly throw around % without giving a link or reference so people can read what data/survey it's based on.

It is in the transport strategy, it was quoted pages ago...

The 4.6% comes from 2008 document which was referenced earlier...

https://irishcycle.com/2019/09/18/galway-we-have-tried-cars-what-will-we-try-next-more-cars/

That say 6% but seems to be city center it is more like 5.5% overall..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

xckjoo wrote: »
    I think most people who cycle are also in favor of improved PT and walking infrastructure. There's probably a few nut jobs out there that think cycling is the only thing we should allow, but anyone I've talked to is primarily in favor of moving away from car dependency and ensuring safe travel for everyone.

Yes to this.
    I'm a self-employed business owner.
    I drove 20,000 + KM's last year in bus mileage alone.
    I'm a car owner. I enjoy owning a nice car.
    I enjoy driving. I volunteer to do all the driving if we're on holidays, renting a car etc. I genuinely think we should invest in roads and make them safe and enjoyable for people who need to get around.

But I want the city I live in to work.
    I want to enjoy living here and be able to move around quickly and cheaply.
    Therefore I cycle almost everywhere within the city environs.

Traffic is not "driving". It's a horrible life-sucking experience.
    There are solutions to Galway's traffic problems.
    They involve reducing the number of cars on our roads through investment in PT, cycling, walking etc.
    Why is it that people are so opposed to this idea?

Galway is not bike friendly. You need to be super-experienced to use the roads.
    Would you recommend an partly-experienced loved one to cycle from the city and out to any of the industrial estates daily?
    I wouldn't. Traffic is flying about everywhere. There are no cycle lanes. Drivers are agressive towards people on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Traffic is not "driving". It's a horrible life-sucking experience.
    There are solutions to Galway's traffic problems.
    They involve reducing the number of cars on our roads through investment in PT, cycling, walking etc.
    Why is it that people are so opposed to this idea?

Galway is not bike friendly. You need to be super-experienced to use the roads.
    Would you recommend an partly-experienced loved one to cycle from the city and out to any of the industrial estates daily?
    I wouldn't. Traffic is flying about everywhere. There are no cycle lanes. Drivers are agressive towards people on bikes.

Threads like this tend to throw up the polar opposites in debates like this with very little mid ground posters. But I think most people on the city would agree with you. Most would cycle on safe cycling networks and use reliable, frequent bus services.
    But we need the powers that be to bite the bullet and get on with it.

xckjoo wrote: »
    There are also a few nut jobs out there who think that private motor cars are the only solution, or that GLUAS or yada yada yada will fix Galway Citys car traffic problems. There is no magic bullet solution. Will focus start with the cheapest and most efficient solutions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are also a few nut jobs out there who think that private motor cars are the only solution, or that GLUAS or yada yada yada will fix Galway Citys car traffic problems. There is no magic bullet solution. Will focus start with the cheapest and most efficient solutions?

Covid has effectively done that for us: localism, which includes remote working, has vastly reduced traffic. What is concerning is the inevitable cuts to public transport which must follow the reduced demand.

€4.5 million in funding announced for further development of 26 greenway projects announced today.

€315,000 for Galway County Council projects.

Cycle infrastructure funding is becoming available, we need to get in on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/re-imagining-cork-plan-announced-today-by-city-council-1012667.html

Plans from Cork for increased cycle lanes etc.
    Is there any plan as concrete as this for Galway?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/re-imagining-cork-plan-announced-today-by-city-council-1012667.html

Plans from Cork for increased cycle lanes etc.
    Is there any plan as concrete as this for Galway?

^ that's a further €2 million for Cork City.

Don't know what plans the council here have.

They do have detailed plans for the Galway City to Barna greenway project, although they're going to revisit and change these in a few YEARS now instead to incorporate some future flood defence work.

What a waste to 2 million, cork is already full of unused cycle lanes that only hinder other traffic. Same thing will happen in Galway, cycle infrastructure will solve nothing as too few a people will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What a waste to 2 million, cork is already full of unused cycle lanes that only hinder other traffic. Same thing will happen in Galway, cycle infrastructure will solve nothing as too few a people will use it.
    Is it time for your weekly tutorial on the difference between a protected cycle lane and a useless bit of paint in the gutter again already?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,801 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Right turn lane from courthouse to Francis St is now painted red and marked
    'bus lane'

Thargor wrote: »
    Is it time for your weekly tutorial on the difference between a protected cycle lane and a useless bit of paint in the gutter again already?

A lot of the cycle lanes in cork are protected hence why they are in the way. They also get very little use for the amount of road space they are taking up and have created a number or dangerous junctions due to their placement blocking views for cars etc.

The fact is cycling will never be a mode of transport for any more than a low single digit percentage of people at most so wasting money that could be put to better use improving car throughput etc would be much better spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

A lot of the cycle lanes in cork are protected hence why they are in the way.

No they're not, a white line is not a protected cycle lane!

No they're not, a white line is not a protected cycle lane!

There is a kerb separating many of the city centre ones from car traffic. Some are also contra flow which is lethal for pedestrians crossing especially as they aren’t expecting bikes coming the opposite way to cars.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the updated likely milestones and dates are for the new ring road project? I understand the oral hearing kicks off in the Autumn... what then?

Poor level of quality trolling nox, you can do better

Anyone know what the updated likely milestones and dates are for the new ring road project? I understand the oral hearing kicks off in the Autumn... what then?

Oral hearing was underway when the lockdown hit

Hasn't been rescheduled as far as I know unless you have something on that score?

Oh yeah I mean kick off again.

No I'm just going to what was mentioned on Galway Bay FM yesterday - "It’s hoped the oral hearing for the proposed City Ring Road development will resume in Autumn when An Bord Pleanala will hear submissions in relation to compulsory purchase orders and all other matters"

What are the milestones after that? Seems like lengthy court appeals are likely with the number of homes being knocked.

zell12 wrote: »
    Right turn lane from courthouse to Francis St is now painted red and marked
    'bus lane'

Is it 24/7 zell12?
    Will be interesting to see what impacts this will have on Eglington Street/Francis Street area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,801 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Is it 24/7 zell12?
    Will be interesting to see what impacts this will have on Eglington Street/Francis Street area.
    It's just paint for now, not operational. Did not notice any erected signage
    I assume next week will see the changeover

Will it still be possible to drive across from Mary’s street to woodquay when they make Eglinton street bus only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Will it still be possible to drive across from Mary’s street to woodquay when they make Eglinton street bus only?

You'd certainly hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭bobbyss

zell12 wrote:
    It's just paint for now, not operational. Did not notice any erected signage I assume next week will see the changeover

Don't we have to follow road markings?

• Advertisement

No, but will be possible to do in Reverse. Woodquay to Marys Street and then rights towards Newtownsmith (which will be made 1 way for motor vehicles at least).
    From Council doc back in September 2019. When this is to happen is anyones guess

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement