Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

bobbyss wrote: »
    Don't we have to follow road markings?

No. Unless sign is with it, its essentially graffitti.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The electronic sign @ cathedral says no right turn onto eglinton street - so assume it applies now.

No, but will be possible to do in Reverse. Woodquay to Marys Street and then rights towards Newtownsmith (which will be made 1 way for motor vehicles at least).
    From Council doc back in September 2019. When this is to happen is anyones guess

Can't really see any sense in that.

They are going to destroy the city with bus lanes and one way streets.

Totally agree, should get rid of the pedestrianised areas and the footpaths too, more space for traffic jams.

Who do I call to make this happen?!?

Feckin council making space for..... people..... Who do they think they are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Thanks. What's the source for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Totally agree, should get rid of the pedestrianised areas and the footpaths too, more space for traffic jams.

Who do I call to make this happen?!?

Feckin council making space for..... people..... Who do they think they are

You're so right. Time to get rid of these driver-less and occupant free cars that don't carry "..... people....." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Just to prove your point, Dublin famously didn't survive bus lanes (first introduced in 1980) and one way streets. The City Centre shut up shop and has been rotting away ever since.

RIP Dublin, 988AD - 1980AD

timmyntc wrote: »
    The electronic sign @ cathedral says no right turn onto eglinton street - so assume it applies now.

Legally.......
    ;)
    Would need to actually have a sign up "No Right Turn" with an exception for buses under it or something to that effect.
    Sign code is "RUS 012" No Right Turn

Is it not destroyed already?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭bobbyss

timmyntc wrote:

That sign wasn't working when I passed by it today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

No, but will be possible to do in Reverse. Woodquay to Marys Street and then rights towards Newtownsmith (which will be made 1 way for motor vehicles at least).
    From Council doc back in September 2019. When this is to happen is anyones guess

Here's that transport strategy plan...
    521545.jpg

Don't think we know yet how much of this is part of the temp Covid changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

521545.jpg

That map doesn't seem to show Cross Street being cut off though?

?Cee?view wrote: »

Yeah that's the draft transport strategy plan for the city pre-Covid. Current changes may be different but they'll probably want to roughly align to this vision. Some streets might not change yet and others might have differemt temp trial measures for Covid.

They'll probably prioritise pedestrian space even more now.

?Cee?view wrote: »

Its a pre-Covid-19 map? I always take these Council maps with a grain of salt anyhow. They tend to make up stuff up as they go along. For instance you'd imagine they would include a "Proposed" Pedestrain bridge between Salmon Weir and O'Briens Bridge here which they have also in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

donvito99 wrote: »
    Just to prove your point, Dublin famously didn't survive bus lanes (first introduced in 1980) and one way streets. The City Centre shut up shop and has been rotting away ever since.

RIP Dublin, 988AD - 1980AD

Just to correct you there, it was 1982 and the one way systems on the quays, Capel st. and the other streets are still in place. The bus lanes are there too and the capital has far from shut up shop and certainly has not being rotting away ever since.

They'll probably prioritise pedestrian space even more now.

Not sure about that, no evidence so far that they have done much or are planning to either. If they are - keeping it locked away in a safe somewhere.

Pedestrianisation of Cross Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Pedestrianisation of Cross Street?
    Ya. Cross Street was closed off to cars a few weeks ago. It's lovely. Very relaxed feeling to the place now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ya. Cross Street was closed off to cars a few weeks ago. It's lovely. Very relaxed feeling to the place now

People still walk on the footpath as there is no signage up to say that its done. Its also not 24/7 so sometimes they forget to put back the barriers. Its a bit of a shambles to be honest

John_Rambo wrote: »
    certainly has not being rotting away ever since.

That’s debatable.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That’s debatable.....

It's not, and it's certainly not up for debate on this thread. We're talking about Galway traffic, skip off and start your own thread about the capital if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

xckjoo wrote: »

Closing cross street to traffic is a no-brainer.
    In fact, I would pedestrianise, St Augustine Street, Middle St, Cross St, Ravens Terrace, The West End, I'd also look at Abbeygate St, Woodquay.

There's no need for car access in that inner city area, the city is well served with car parks at the cathedral, dock road, forrester st.

Or at least we should do it after 5pm Tuesday to Sunday. I was in Granada last year where they do something similar. It would encourage more coffee shops, restaurants ala Quay Street etc increase footfall, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It would encourage more coffee shops

We must be in the running for the most coffee shops per capita in the world as it is

We must be in the running for the most coffee shops per capita in the world as it is

People like watching people.
    It's a masive driver of footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

In fact, I would pedestrianise, St Augustine Street, Middle St, Cross St, Ravens Terrace, The West End, I'd also look at Abbeygate St, Woodquay.

There's no need for car access in that inner city area, the city is well served with car parks at the cathedral, dock road, forrester st.

Or at least we should do it after 5pm Tuesday to Sunday. I was in Granada last year where they do something similar. It would encourage more coffee shops, restaurants ala Quay Street etc increase footfall, etc

Might be a small difference in the amount of rainfall and avg temp they get and we do...

I am not saying outright no... but how about a trial in the summer months first...

Granada has only two months of the year as cold as our July and their wettest month is our driest.

By the way:
    Most Spanish cities have cycling modal shares well below 5%...

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Might be a small difference in the amount of rainfall and avg temp they get and we do...

I am not saying outright no... but how about a trial in the summer months first...

Granada has only two months of the year as cold as our July and their wettest month is our driest.

By the way:
    Most Spanish cities have cycling modal shares well below 5%...

Coffee shops/pubs/ restaurants with outdoor seating exist all year round in Ireland. Quay street?
    Yes, it doesn't happen on ****ty days. We've had a bad run of it recently but its not wall-to-wall rain all day every day during the winter here.

The point here is the street dining vibe on Quay Street happened because the cars were removed.

Consider if middle street was pedestrianised. Cava Bodege, Milanos, Sangria, Dough Brothers etc would immediately expand out onto the streets for on-street dining.

Theres no reason for cars to drive up middle street and down St Augustine St after 2pm/5pm.

The above would drive footfall, investment, rates etc. It's good news alround.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you live in any of those areas?

Have you ever had surgery or an injury which meant you could not walk for more than a minute ot two?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Do you live in any of those areas?

Have you ever had surgery or an injury which meant you could not walk for more than a minute ot two?

The point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »
    The point is?

The areas named are specifically zoned as mixed-use: there are residents, commercial and retail/restaurant uses in all those streets, often in the same buildings.

The street use needs to cater for them all.

On street drinking areas (The Kings Head is in the mix too) is explicitly not allowed by planning in many cases because the noise is too unpalatable for residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

The areas named are specifically zoned as mixed-use: there are residents, commercial and retail/restaurant uses in all those streets, often in the same buildings.

The street use needs to cater for them all.

On street drinking areas (The Kings Head is in the mix too) is explicitly not allowed by planning in many cases because the noise is too unpalatable for residents.

So I hear you don't want Galway pedestrianised like almost any other city Europe, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement