Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

sasal wrote: »

Seems daft. It's a good idea to make that one way, don't see the problem some others on Twitter seem to have with it but seems daft to put the bike racks there.

Need more info on how blocking that road was the cause of a child almost getting hit. Surely that would be the fault of the driver....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Need more info on how blocking that road was the cause of a child almost getting hit. Surely that would be the fault of the driver....

I don't know that incident but cyclists (and motorists) coming up Dyke Road are now brought onto a junction with no lights. Very dangerous right turn here for cyclists, crossing cars coming along the Headford Road and crossing onto cars coming down St. Bridgets Place too.

How is this a Covid 19 measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

but seems daft to put the bike racks there.
    Pure daft alright. Does not serve anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Wonder what the interventions on Eglinton Street and Francis street are going to be?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

LostDuck wrote: »
    I don't know that incident but cyclists (and motorists) coming up Dyke Road are now brought onto a junction with no lights. Very dangerous right turn here for cyclists, crossing cars coming along the Headford Road and crossing onto cars coming down St. Bridgets Place too.

How is this a Covid 19 measure?

Not a clue. The tweets didn't say. Maybe it's to account for more people needing bike racks? Doubt it though.

Maybe they should make that junction left turn only or put lights on it. It has been pretty dangerous as it is. When there's traffic and people and turning out onto the yellow box they don't seem to give a ****e if there's a cyclist coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Maybe it's to account for more people needing bike racks? Doubt it though.

Your right - its not. These stands are been used as a barrier for those who would think of cycling this way. The mentality in City Hall is a sight to behold here.

Expecting to see photos of a big tail-backs on the Dyke Road with cars trying to merge onto the Headford Road and turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Very strange. Haven't driven that road in a while but it was never fun trying to come out beside the car park.
    Dunno what it has to do with cycling either. It's not really near anything so it would be a strange place to lock your bike up. Kinda stinks of "we'll stick some bike racks in to pump up our numbers"

This is absolute madness. I use the dyke road at times to avoid traffic and this is going to cause big traffic back logs getting out at Argos where it was always a handy and quick exit there when turning left as most cars went up to the lights. It’s hard for cars to turn right and will be very very slow as lots of traffic uses the dyke road in the mornings.

Stupidity of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dyke Road is a serious rat-run

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    Dyke Road is a serious rat-run

It's a main road, not a residential or business estate... can you call it a rat run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

It's a main road

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Laviski wrote: »
    Lol

It is one of only four roads to enter the city from the east... The least used but when you have that few roads...

Lol

Why is it not a valid route selection?

Why is it not a valid route selection?

I didn't say it wasn't, but it's a joke you call that a main road.

If people use to access car park then this change shouldn't bother them.

CowboyTed wrote: »
    It is one of only four roads to enter the city from the east... The least used but when you have that few roads...
    The road begins and ends within the city boundary - if people leave the Headford Road to rejoin it again further on what is that if not rat running?
    N84, N83 (old N17), R339 (Monivea Road), N6, N67 (old N6), R338 (old, old N6) and the Dyke Road whose number I can't spot on Google which of these is least like the others?

Lines down the middle, box junctions... it's a main road in the parts I'm from! ;-) You wouldn't be playing games on it.

If people use it to access the car park and don't want to enter/leave via Menlo then surely it'll have a major effect getting back onto the Headford Road.

Sounds like the council are going to reverse the road changes anyway...
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-council-passes-motion-to-remove-controversial-bike-racks-at-dyke-road/amp/?p=83400&__twitter_impression=true

Although from reading that it sounds like they're just removing the bike racks... which are purely incidental.

Lines down the middle, box junctions... it's a main road in the parts I'm from! ;-) You wouldn't be playing games on it.
    These are features of it being an urban road. It also narrows to one car width at a couple of points and has a height restriction limiting it to cars only. It isn’t a main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Regarding the recently installed dyke road system that's now been removed this morning :
    This is exactly what happens when you have book intelligent people making decisions instead of " street wise " intelligent people .
    Pen pushers in offices that haven't a clue about how a city operates regarding traffic .
    They ended up pushing VECIHCLES from a safe exit with traffic lights to VECIHCLES attempting to exit at properly galway city's most unsafe junction (at bottom of hidden valley ) !!!!
    Take a bow sir/ madam....you truly are the dumbest of the dumb !!!

• Advertisement

If people use it to access the car park and don't want to enter/leave via Menlo then surely it'll have a major effect getting back onto the Headford Road.

Sounds like the council are going to reverse the road changes anyway...
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-council-passes-motion-to-remove-controversial-bike-racks-at-dyke-road/amp/?p=83400&__twitter_impression=true

Although from reading that it sounds like they're just removing the bike racks... which are purely incidental.

The bike racks were clearly an after thought. They served zero purpose. But what was the thinking behind the road change I wonder? That junction could probably do with a rejig but I've made the mistake of trying to turn right coming from that road beside the car park before and it's a nightmare. I wonder if there's a stage 2 of the changes they haven't explained

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Regarding the recently installed dyke road system that's now been removed this morning :
    This is exactly what happens when you have book intelligent people making decisions instead of " street wise " intelligent people .
    Pen pushers in offices that haven't a clue about how a city operates regarding traffic .
    They ended up pushing VECIHCLES from a safe exit with traffic lights to VECIHCLES attempting to exit at properly galway city's most unsafe junction (at bottom of hidden valley ) !!!!
    Take a bow sir/ madam....you truly are the dumbest of the dumb !!!

"Street wise" and book smart.. yeah no.
    I don't think there were any smarts of any kind involved in that decision - blocking one lane off leading up to traffic lights just doesn't make much sense - especially when the alternative (for cars) is a junction with no traffic lights.

Has there been much complaint about cycling infrastructure there?
    Maybe bike racks near dyke road carpark, but not in the middle of the road

I think the idea was to improve the sequence for the light. Green for 3 instead of 4 when you have no traffic from dyke road.

The right turn at the Courthouse coming from the Cathedral has also been restricted to Bus only from this week.

This is the start of the "bus priority corridor" from Seamus Quirke Rd, through the city and out to the Wellpark junction.

Should start to see bus travel times shorten, reliability increase and hopefully in the not too distant future, an increase in the frequency as this is the only thing holding BE back

Imagine a time when most bus routes in the city are at a sub 10 min frequency. At that point you no longer need time tables. Hopefully soon!

These are features of it being an urban road. It also narrows to one car width at a couple of points and has a height restriction limiting it to cars only. It isn’t a main road.

Semantics, my point is it's not a residential estate or business park. It's a through road and a valid route selection at the moment.

I do think it should be given low priority, but without joining the larger road at a controlled junction it'll be a disaster.

If discouraging it's use with deliberate gridlock you'd be better off closing the road at the Black Box and managing Menlo traffic through the new Kirwan junction. Change the car park from P&D to barrier and allow access from both sides.

The right turn at the Courthouse coming from the Cathedral has also been restricted to Bus only from this week.

This is the start of the "bus priority corridor" from Seamus Quirke Rd, through the city and out to the Wellpark junction.

Should start to see bus travel times shorten, reliability increase and hopefully in the not too distant future, an increase in the frequency as this is the only thing holding BE back

Imagine a time when most bus routes in the city are at a sub 10 min frequency. At that point you no longer need time tables. Hopefully soon!

That's great! Is Eglington Street being closed to private cars in some way or is it just that right turn if you're heading towards Woodquay? A reliable, fast bus service would revolutionize things.

It’s a very handy and popular route if you travel in Menlo and onto the dyke road you can avoid a lot of traffic. It’s is certainly not a rat run it’s is a road into the city like any other just a smaller one.

Forcing all traffic to turn left and come out at Argos will severely add to traffic here and needlessly reduce the advantage of using a very handy route into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gotta love the Covid denial attitude.

Travel times on all city routes plummeted six months ago, and haven't increased. Even when colleges start at the end of this month, many classes will be on-line so there won't be the vast numbers travelling.

Even at 50% occupancy, many city buses are vastly under-used now. The chances of greater frequency services being introduced are close to zip.

From a disease prevention point of view, the last thing we need is more people using shared transport.

Gotta love the Covid denial attitude.

We've got to plan beyond Covid.

There will be future waves of pandemics in the future but we should be over the unease now of having to mask up and regularly sanitise. I think higher quality self-protecting masks on buses is a good idea though.

• Advertisement

Senior Engineer at the council is trying to defend the changes. Difficult to defend the work when it was made look like cycling infrastructure even though that's never what it was or intended to be;

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-official-moves-to-defend-controversial-installation-of-bike-racks-at-dyke-road-junction/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement