Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Dublin cycleway reducing traffic in the area - council

http://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/0924/1167238-cycleway-dublin/

Imagine that, protected cycling infrastructure driving increases in cycling and reduction in car traffic.

Interesting article, its not often one hears the concept of traffic evaporation been mentioned in the Irish media.

https://connachttribune.ie/council-to-consider-new-pedestrian-plaza-for-galway-city/

Looks like an interesting proposal, will these streets now become ""Residents ONLY" Car Parking streets and the Pay & Display meters removed?
    Would we a first for Galway City(not to be confused with Residents Permits)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

https://connachttribune.ie/council-to-consider-new-pedestrian-plaza-for-galway-city/

Looks like an interesting proposal, will these streets now become ""Residents ONLY" Car Parking streets and the Pay & Display meters removed?
    Would we a first for Galway City(not to be confused with Residents Permits)

Hopefully not. Some residents need daily or twice-daily visits from homecare workers and the like, and we're not allowed that many visitors permits per year.

I also look forward to seeing coffins being wheeled up thw piss-soaked Buttermilk Walk going to/from funerals. Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Hopefully not. Some residents need daily or twice-daily visits from homecare workers and the like, and we're not allowed that many visitors permits per year.

Presumably the homecare workers would be fit enough to park elsewhere and walk a few minutes to Middle St/Augustine St?

I also look forward to seeing coffins being wheeled up thw piss-soaked Buttermilk Walk going to/from funerals. Not.

What?
    Why would that ever happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

timmyntc wrote: »
    What?
    To avoid the gangs of violent drunks, murders, buskers and cyclists who will take over our streets once we reduce the number of cars on the roads.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

xckjoo wrote: »
    To avoid the gangs of violent drunks, murders, buskers and cyclists who will take over our streets once we reduce the number of cars on the roads.....

All as MrsOB enjoys watching these lawbreakers from her apartment window.

Such dystopian imagery on a bright and sunny Friday morning. :D

“Businesses in the area are very much in favour of pedestrianisation – one business has objections but the others are supportive.”
    This is surprising, so many different types of business on these 4/5 streets and only one objection.

This is surprising, so many different types of business on these 4/5 streets and only one objection.

Which could be related to the coffin ref from Mrs OBumble?

P

What?

Because of where the door to the Augistinian church is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

Because of where the door to the Augistinian church is.

I’m pretty sure hearses would still be let up the street to the church. In any case, shouldering a coffin is still something that regularly happens, and it’s the older folk who like the tradition to be continued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Which could be related to the coffin ref from Mrs OBumble?

Funeral Homes are a dying industry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yep, no need for protected cycling infrastructure
    If you intend to break up thread with a lot of images and videos, could they at least be from this city, or county?

biko wrote: »
    If you intend to break up thread with a lot of images and videos, could they at least be from this city, or county?

It would be difficult to show examples of safe, working cycle lanes in Galway, as they don't really exist. What's the issue with showing examples of what a modern city should have?

It would be difficult to show examples of safe, working cycle lanes in Galway, as they don't really exist. What's the issue with showing examples of what a modern city should have?

Exactly. Very difficult. They don't exist in any kind of coherent form in this City or County. Silo thinking.

Interesting article, its not often one hears the concept of traffic evaporation been mentioned in the Irish media.

Indeed.

Some things I'm looking forward to over the next 12 months
    • the next canal cordon commuter count to see how much more the share of bikes has grown
    • studies being performed by the various Universities on commuter movement and the impacts the covid changes have brought
    • the likes of traffic evaporation and other phenomenon being disseminated to other councils through the above analysis.

All of the above only bodes well for the future of people movement within our towns and cities

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ehh, weren't all of those photos/videos of unsafe cycling?

Will try, but videos & images of dangerous driving on Irish roads do not always come with a label to state where it occurred.

In fairness I thought I was doing well keeping it limited to Irish roads

Ehh, weren't all of those photos/videos of unsafe cycling?

Last thing I'd seen Dacor post was in regards to bike lanes in Dublin and how they were proving very popular. Either way I don't see the issue with talking about what works elsewhere and how it could be of use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Will try, but videos & images of dangerous driving on Irish roads do not always come with a label to state where it occurred.

In fairness I thought I was doing well keeping it limited to Irish roads
    Thanks, the reason is simply that this thread is for local traffic issues.
    Looking at pictures from other places may be of use but they just help dilute the discussion which should have one focus - the traffic in this lovely city of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

CowboyTed wrote: »
    There is an unused bile lane from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit.

There isn't, and it's not.

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Knocknacarra to Ballybrit is a fully dedicated cycle lane in both directions... It has only two roundabouts...

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Need light rail to connect the main amenities and areas.

Briarhill, Racecourse, GMIT, Wellpark, City Centre, NUIG, Westside, Salthill, Knocknacarra with potential for extending to commuter towns like Barna, Claregalway etc.

Thanks, the reason is simply that this thread is for local traffic issues.
    Looking at pictures from other places may be of use but they just help dilute the discussion which should have one focus - the traffic in this lovely city of ours.

If we want kill the car traffic problem - then going to have to step outside what Galway City is currently doing. If one wants to show examples why we have the Car traffic problem that we have then Galway City is going to have lots of examples - so that should help with the diluation dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can we think of any possible alternative ways for homecare workers to travel other than one that involves carrying round four empty seats all day?

mezzanine_519.jpg?crop=480x270&format=webp

eBikes are making longer journeys and more hours per day in the saddle feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Starts Thurs 8th - have your say
    EjvrmiRWoAEqLth?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Can we think of any possible alternative ways for homecare workers to travel other than one that involves carrying round four empty seats all day?

eBikes are making longer journeys and more hours per day in the saddle feasible.

Clearly you have not seen the inside of a home care workers car, I have and they carry a ot of equipment to carry out their duties so your talking nonsense

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Clearly you have not seen the inside of a home care workers car, I have and they carry a ot of equipment to carry out their duties so your talking nonsense

The home carer worker who parks outside my door most mornings to visit my neighbour carries no equipment beyond a standard sized handbag.

But strangely enough, it is possible to carry equipment on a bike, up to a pallet size if necessary, using a cargo bike or other attachments, and still not be taking up the space required for four empty seats.

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2007/12/cycling-nurses-help-thwart.html

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/community-news/exclusive-community-nurses-in-dorset-trying-out-e-bikes-05-02-2019/

I'm struggling to think of an alternative that would let them arrive not looking like a drowned rat: people who aren't on a tight schedule can afford to delay journeys while showers pass. But these folks are on very tight timelines.

The home carer worker who parks outside my door most mornings to visit my neighbour carries no equipment beyond a standard sized handbag.
    ]

For your neighbour maybe, what about the next person they call to and the next. Any home care worker or public health nurse I know have a full boot. Also most travel large distances far longer than would be practical by bike (even forgetting they could be commuting in from long distances outside the city). Then there is the weather etc etc.

All in all an absolutely idiotic suggestion.

I'm struggling to think of an alternative that would let them arrive not looking like a drowned rat: people who aren't on a tight schedule can afford to delay journeys while showers pass. But these folks are on very tight timelines.

Wouldn't it be an amazing development for society if we could just get ourselves past the insanity of using a one tonne metal cage with four empty seats and 1% efficiency as a raincoat?

Maybe we could, well, you know, use a raincoat as a raincoat?

Seems to work OK in the UK and the Netherlands.

528601.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

For your neighbour maybe, what about the next person they call to and the next. Any home care worker or public health nurse I know have a full boot. Also most travel large distances far longer than would be practical by bike (even forgetting they could be commuting in from long distances outside the city). Then there is the weather etc etc.

All in all an absolutely idiotic suggestion.

I wouldn't call it idiotic, but I'd agree it's not an option for home care workers.
    And yet again the weather largely rules it out in Galway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement