If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv recessed into the wall - replacement

Options
  • 26-10-2019 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

My current Samsung 46" TV is nicely recessed into the wall in our living room. The TV has served us well for about 7 years but I am looking to get a new one. The problem is that there are little 46" tvs on the market and i would like a slightly bigger tv. Apparently it would be a big job to make the recess bigger as its above a stove and there is substantial fireproofing built into the wall.

What I was looking to do is to buy a large tv (55 or 65") that is really thin and fit the processing element of the set into the recess. It would look as though the tv was a picture on the wall. I saw a Sony 65" AF8 set in a shop that was really thin. The processing element of the set was only a couple of cm short on the horizontal from fitting into the recess. The recess on my wall on the horizontal is 104cm.

Are you aware of other TVs that are thin (OLED would be preference) that have a processing element that might fit in the recess I have?

Thanks in advance.

Bluefish

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Bluefish wrote: »
    My current Samsung 46" TV is nicely recessed into the wall in our living room. The TV has served us well for about 7 years but I am looking to get a new one. The problem is that there are little 46" tvs on the market and i would like a slightly bigger tv. Apparently it would be a big job to make the recess bigger as its above a stove and there is substantial fireproofing built into the wall.

What I was looking to do is to buy a large tv (55 or 65") that is really thin and fit the processing element of the set into the recess. It would look as though the tv was a picture on the wall. I saw a Sony 65" AF8 set in a shop that was really thin. The processing element of the set was only a couple of cm short on the horizontal from fitting into the recess. The recess on my wall on the horizontal is 104cm.

Are you aware of other TVs that are thin (OLED would be preference) that have a processing element that might fit in the recess I have?

Thanks in advance.

Bluefish
    Hi Bluefish.

Sorry if I sound stupid but what is the processing element you mention?

Are you looking to take the TV apart to make it fit into the space that you have? Doing this would make any warranties invalid even the manufacturers warranty would be invalid.

The 65AF8 is now discontinued and replaced by the 65AG8 this is 140.5cm in width
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204102-sony-bravia-kd65ag8-65-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-android-tv-youview.aspx

The 55" version is 122.9cm in width.

If you are looking the picture effect Samsung make their frame TV's like the 55LS03 but even this is too wide coming in at 123.5cm
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204131-samsung-the-frame-qe55ls03r-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-qled-tv-with-apple-tv-app.aspx

For the LG OLED's the 65B9 is 144.9cm in width
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204277-lg-oled65b9pla-65-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

The 55B9 coming in at 122.8cm in width
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204255-lg-oled55b9pla-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

All of the television listed above are very slim and the screen is pretty much the full width of the product. Gone are the days when the TV had a large surround which would contain the speakers etc.....

Even a 50" is around 113 cm in width which would also not fit you gap.

I can't see any 55-65" televisions that are going to be anywhere near 104cm in width.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

Hi - Thanks for the reply. Not a stupid question at all. What I was trying to explain is that on the Sony tv that i saw the screen was very slim and there was an portion that jutted out from the screen where the power and connections are and while this didnt extend across the whole of the screen horizontally it still was wider than the 104cms that i had in my recess.

What I want to do is have the portion that extends out (power, connections, etc.) from the panel hidden into the recess - so that the screen itself is flush against the wall. i dont want to take anything apart from the tv at all.

The TV specs on the web (from what I can see) dont give you the dimensions of this element of do but dont tell you where it starts and ends on the back of the panel.

I have tried to explain this as best I can - if still not clear let me know and I can go to the shop and get some pics.

thanks again

Bluefish wrote: »
    Hi - Thanks for the reply. Not a stupid question at all. What I was trying to explain is that on the Sony tv that i saw the screen was very slim and there was an portion that jutted out from the screen where the power and connections are and while this didnt extend across the whole of the screen horizontally it still was wider than the 104cms that i had in my recess.

What I want to do is have the portion that extends out (power, connections, etc.) from the panel hidden into the recess - so that the screen itself is flush against the wall. i dont want to take anything apart from the tv at all.

The TV specs on the web (from what I can see) dont give you the dimensions of this element of do but dont tell you where it starts and ends on the back of the panel.

I have tried to explain this as best I can - if still not clear let me know and I can go to the shop and get some pics.

thanks again
    Hi Blufish.

I think i understand I bit better now.

Unfortunately I would have no way of finding this out as it not something that is listed in the specs or held by the manufacturer.
    Although most tend to stretch the full width of the panel.

The only way would be to open every TV and measure it which is not an option.

We do have several televisions on display but none of the ones mentioned.

If you live close to the Belfast store you are more than welcome to pop in and look at what we have on display and check if any of them might fit.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chalky024

Why not post up a drawing of the space you have for the TV with all the relevant dimensions to clarify? 

chalky024 wrote: »
    Why not post up a drawing of the space you have for the TV with all the relevant dimensions to clarify? 
    Hi Chalky024.

I don't think a picture would help, as its more to do with the dimensions on the the back of each TV that houses the connections. The OP needs this to fit into the gap he so the TV will sit flush on the wall with the connection plate sitting inside the recess.

However as this is usually a fully molded plastic piece that is part of the actual back of the television and unfortunately the measurements are not held by the manufacturer or anywhere I can see online.

• Advertisement

Hi Chalky,

As Kenny has said I am looking to fit the area that sticks out at the back of the set that houses the connections into the existing recess.

I have added a pic to show the back of the Sony AG8 OLED TV. In it you can see the back of the set and the plastic piece where the connections and power are housed.

A member on another forum confirmed the dimensions of this element on a Sony 55” AG8 as just under 100cms on the horizontal (which is the most restricting measurement relating to the current recess) which would work.

Any Boards members with a Sony 55” AF9 or 8 that could measure this for me, or a 55” AG8 or 9 that could confirm this measurement?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

I'd be concerned about overheating issues if installing the 'processing' part of the tv into a recess.

Thanks PCDub, the recess itself is very deep just not wide enough. So I am not that concerned about overheating being an issue.

Thanks PCDub, the recess itself is very deep just not wide enough. So I am not that concerned about overheating being an issue.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.