Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail Village Cork - Midleton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

That's very interesting. 1 site in Midleton and 2 in Carrig. The old Amgen site and Fota retail park in Carrig I imagine, where is the site in Midleton?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The way is clear for the planning application to be lodged. Some councillors opposed to it, shocker. Will be great for the area and at same time might buck up the cities standards and competitiveness too.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/council-clears-way-for-100m-kildare-village-style-retail-centre-on-outskirts-of-cork-city-978002.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Do-nut development.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

crazy, out of town pedestrainaised fake streets while the city council concerns itself with free parking promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

cc wrote: »
    crazy, out of town pedestrainaised fake streets while the city council concerns itself with free parking promotions

Exactly.
    Build a fake village with fake streets that can only be reached by car while real towns and city centre die a slow death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not everything has to be 'in town'. City has a lot of it's own problems that have zero to do with any competition. It's almost as if more than one thing can be done at once. Place like this will bring people into some of these towns, places like Carrgtwohill and Midleton's towns centres will benefit, which both need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Exactly.
    Build a fake village with fake streets that can only be reached by car while real towns and city centre die a slow death.

Newbridge has not died a death from Kildare village.

Chester has not died a death from Cheshire oaks.

Bicester has not died a death from Bicester village

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I don't know that there will be all that much of a crossover with the shops and Carrig/Midleton, so they should see positive impacts. Cork city probably will have some crossover and loss of trade, but that's business.

The car objections are funny from the City traders, they're against the car ban in town, but then say you can't have cars outside town either. Very much protectionism I think.

The road network in the area will need a serious upgrade, and with the proposed cycle lane all the way from Bury's Bridge down to Carrigtwohill it'll be a bit tight for space I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

deRanged wrote: »
    I don't know that there will be all that much of a crossover with the shops and Carrig/Midleton, so they should see positive impacts. Cork city probably will have some crossover and loss of trade, but that's business.

The car objections are funny from the City traders, they're against the car ban in town, but then say you can't have cars outside town either. Very much protectionism I think.

The road network in the area will need a serious upgrade, and with the proposed cycle lane all the way from Bury's Bridge down to Carrigtwohill it'll be a bit tight for space I think.

I don't disagree with anything you say, but surely rather than "the road network will need to be upgraded" what we should be saying is "make them pay for any necessary road upgrades". I do not like the idea of public money being put into infrastructure to facilitate private profits. This isn't some kind of social amenity, it's a 19060's surface mall and it's textbook sprawl.

Advertisement