Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Vote happening now, to change the date from the 12th to the 9th December.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1189267851158446080?s=20

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The issue is student votes on Boris' home turf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

9th ruled out by 295 to 315

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Where’s Bercow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

bazermc wrote: »
    Where’s Bercow ?

You'd miss him alright. The deputy speaker isn't on top of it the way Bercow does be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Where’s Bercow ?

Yeah I was wondering why he’s not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Nevermind he’s back order restored.

This guy can’t resign.

Here he is. I’m not sure what that issue was about in fairness.

Nevermind he’s back order restored.

This guy can’t resign.

Well he is standing down.

Can anyone shed any light on what the deputy speaker meant when she said "now that night has fallen"? Is this a literal phrase referring to daylight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The apprentice speaker managed to look completely confused there...which makes two of us! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You'd have to hope she's ruled herself out of ever being elected speaker purely on the basis of that 60 second car-crash.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on what the deputy speaker meant when she said "now that night has fallen"? Is this a literal phrase referring to daylight?
    Was it not 'knife'?

You'd have to hope she's ruled herself out of ever being elected speaker purely on the basis of that 60 second car-crash.

To be honest I think the MP who raised a point of order just seemed to create confusion where there was no need for it. I think I’ve seen clips of that deputy speaker before and she was more composed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Toscarino wrote: »
    Discussions about what SNP in Scotland or DUP in Northern Ireland and their political stand should not be our concern. We chose to be part of EU, so what happens to the UK is none of our business.We should worry instead about Brexit fallout.I am in the medical profession, I can see shortages in certain drugs which are imported from the UK. This is of major concern.

Medical profession? You seem to spam cosmetics products.

Was it not 'knife'?

Maybe so. It would fit in more with their theme.

So if the motion passes now, see no reason why it wouldn't, then it is an election on the 12th. That would leave enough time for the government to bring back the WAB for a vote even though they have said they wouldn't. But also it will leave enough time for the House to elect a new speaker so this divided House will get to choose who follows Bercow.

Seems like it was knife,

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1189272105327759360?s=20

Noes were Tory + defacto Brexit party MP Kate Hoey

DUP astained as did a good few others.
    https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/732#notrecorded

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This is going to pass, almost certainly.

Total annihilation awaits Corbyn and Labour, unless he does something really stupid like vote Boris' deal through in coming days to try and get the election fought on something other than Brexit.

I can see Tories picking up Labour leave areas, the SNP taking all of Scotland, the Lib Dems hovering up many of the stronger remain areas where they already have a decent presence and I generally see Labour losing far more than they gain.

The question is going to be whether the Tories can pick up enough of the Labour leave areas to offset loses in Scotland and stronger remain areas and how much of an impact Brexit party has.

At the end of the day this election is basically a proxy EU Referendum because Boris is scared to ask the question directly as he knows that he might lose that but he has a better chance in an election - one who uses such proxies can only be described as a coward.

• Advertisement

It was 'knife'. It's procedural thing. I looked it up there.

There will be many people in Ireland who will be more expert in HoC procedure than many of the British themselves before this is all over. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So finally it looks like a clear path has been open towards the UK leaving the EU.

Boris Johnson and the Tories will surely win a majority and the WA will be passed either before Christmas or in early January and the UK will leave on 31st January.

Of course Johnson could f*** up the election, but the one thing he is good at is electioneering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Great news for political hacks.

A third general election in 4.5 years.

I’m not sure what Anna soubury(barely spelt) has done to most in the House of Commons but there is a clear contempt whenever I’ve watched her speech from all over the chamber. I don’t know who the two Female MPs behind her with blonde and black hair are but they clearly weren’t interested in what she had to say.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

bilston wrote: »
    So finally it looks like a clear path has been open towards the UK leaving the EU.

Boris Johnson and the Tories will surely win a majority and the WA will be passed either before Christmas or in early January and the UK will leave on 31st January.

Of course Johnson could f*** up the election, but the one thing he is good at is electioneering.

They leave as soon as the WAB is passed.

Not sure what Labour will gain for voting for this, truth be told, total hammering at the polls but maybe they'll get rid of Corbyn quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

devnull wrote: »
    This is going to pass, almost certainly.

Total annihilation awaits Corbyn and Labour, unless he does something really stupid like vote Boris' deal through in coming days to try and get the election fought on something other than Brexit.

I can see Tories picking up Labour leave areas, the SNP taking all of Scotland, the Lib Dems hovering up many of the stronger remain areas where they already have a decent presence and I generally see Labour losing far more than they gain.

The question is going to be whether the Tories can pick up enough of the Labour leave areas to offset loses in Scotland and stronger remain areas and how much of an impact Brexit party has.

At the end of the day this election is basically a proxy EU Referendum because Boris is scared to ask the question directly as he knows that he might lose that but he has a better chance in an election - one who uses such proxies can only be described as a coward.

I think the the Tories will win a majority in the GE.

Labour will receive massive losses based on their performance during brexit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

bilston wrote: »

You're assuming that not only will he get a majority but said majority are also willing to row in behind his deal; seeing how fractured the Tories have been to date that may be a stretch. Personally I'm inclined to thinking he'll need a support party in some form and no matter which party that would be (SNP for a new vote on Scottish independence, Brexit party for crashing out or Libs for a new referendum) will cause issues internally for the Tories as well as no matter what one faction or another will be pissed off. And let's not even get started on those that will bring up the idea of a renegotiation "because Boris got a strong mandate from the people"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Labours plan will be to make this election about everything other than Brexit. That won't wash, as the key thing on everyone's mind is obviously Brexit, as it will impact every facet of their life. It's so depressing that we have ended up in this situation. It didn't need to be like this. A semi commitment leader would have Labour comfortably ahead in the polls. Corbyn has absolutly blown an open goal, and history will not be kind to him for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good article here in the Irish Times: 'How Ireland turned its back on Remainers.'
    Boris Johnson’s 19th-century predecessor, Lord Palmerston, observed that nations do not have permanent alliances; only permanent interests. It is surprising the UK has not been able to appreciate the fact that Ireland has national interests, and will act to defend them. First Ireland’s clear-eyed independence surprised and confused the Brexiteers; now it has done the same to the Remainers, who have been lately venting their anger at Dublin.

“They’re not happy,” says one Government insider. “But we were never going to fix Brexit for them.”

Shrugs another, “Look, we deal with the British government.”

If Remainers are going to stop Brexit, they’ll have to beat Johnson in a general election first and then win a referendum. To the Irish Government and the EU, that now looks very unlikely.

I think the government calculated it correctly. We have to look after our own interests. It's clear the Remainers don't care about people on this island with the way they have cynically courted the DUP to get them on side, and how they are parroting their concerns with the 'sea border'.

• Advertisement

Labours plan will be to make this election about everything other than Brexit. That won't wash, as the key thing on everyone's mind is obviously Brexit, as it will impact every facet of their life. It's so depressing that we have ended up in this situation. It didn't need to be like this. A semi commitment leader would have Labour comfortably ahead in the polls. Corbyn has absolutly blown an open goal, and history will not be kind to him for that.

The election will be about Brexit, but also about local people's needs. If Labour has a costed manifesto that is progressive and a clear plan for Brexit, Johnson's deal/Labour deal or Remain and then a 2nd confirmatory referendum so the people can decide, then they will be fine I think.

But anybody stating with any certainty what will happen in more than 7 weeks time in an election is a fool. We may think we know but I think a lot of people thought they knew what was going to happen before the last election in 2017 as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement