Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

UK politics is truly mad.
    if only Lab had a half-decent leader, they could clean up imo.
    just to think a bacon sandwich might somehow hand the Tories the next election?
    how mad is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

God listening to LAB spokesperson on SKY is infuriating, avoiding brexit. Do they really think it can be avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Labour had a majority in the opposition benches for a few weeks and managed to mess it up royally because Corbyn is so toxic to the other parties.

Labour had a majority in the opposition benches for a few weeks and managed to mess it up royally because Corbyn is so toxic to the other parties.

the problem with Corbyn is he cannot seem to get the Labour position on Brexit across in a clear and coherent manner.
    the more he tries the more unclear it seems to become.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

the problem with Corbyn is he cannot seem to get the Labour position on Brexit across in a clear and coherent manner.
    the more he tries the more unclear it seems to become.

Because Labour are bitterly divided and arguing the toss over the most minute details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

God listening to LAB spokesperson on SKY is infuriating, avoiding brexit. Do they really think it can be avoided?

This exactly. Corbyn’s statement didn’t mention Brexit at all and watching that Lab spokesman on Sky try to suggest that Brexit won’t be the main issue was surreal. I think, based on that alone, Labour are truly f—ked in the election. One of the biggest questions will be, not who the Brexit Party will steal votes from, but will Labour voters a) bother turning out to vote or b) vote Lib Dem or Con.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

January 31st - Brexit extended to April 31st !!!

God that Jo Swinson gives me an earache.
    she comes across as so frickin preachy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

3rd election in 4 years...

sub-buzz-16813-1468158400-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

One thing is for sure, we're gonna hear all sorts of absolute whoppers being peddled from both sides. Epic for political nerds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

God that Jo Swinson gives me an earache.
    she comes across as so frickin preachy.
    While they'll do well and pick up seats, I have a feeling that beyond their anti Brexit rhetoric, they're going to get found out a bit on their actual policies. Beyond Swinson and even her tbh, there's a big case of who?

3rd election in 4 years...

sub-buzz-16813-1468158400-1.png

and my guess is this one may resolve diddly squat, and there'll be another in no time.

i recall being in England when we had a run of short-lived coalition Govts. the Brits were having a right good laugh at our apparent "inability to Govern ourselves".
    Oh how the turkeys have come home to roost.

January 31st - Brexit extended to April 31st !!!
    Not with a conservative majority it won't!
    Any Brexit bill will be passed with ease if they get a good majority.
    With a Labour government, it could easily be delayed until they actually decide what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

These rumours about pm decamping to Dominic grieves constituency seem quite persistent, john craig just mentioned it on sky. Not sure i can see it happening, would be a very craven position to take, opposition would surely hammer him relentlessly for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: No more image pastes please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Faced with the worst government in living memory, Labour have odds of 16/1 on Paddy Power of getting a majority in the GE.

Can’t help but think Corbyn is putting his ego over doing what is right for his country. And that makes him the same as Boris Johnson in some ways. I don’t envy the choice that your average non-headbanger voter has to make in this election. Shameful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Toscarino wrote: »
    why are we talking about British politics. Should we instead talk about the fallout when Britain leaves the EU. So many people will be affected. I have friends who work in Britain and come home every weekend.We should discuss thier plight and not what the SNP and DUP think.

Because this is a Brexit discussion thread and British politics is obsessed and completely dominated by Brexit so "British Politics" is a valid and very popular topic of conversation given the effect it will have on the timing and type of Brexit that eventually emerges.

We are also free to talk about the fallout of Brexit and if a lot of people find that an interesting topic to discuss I'm sure they will.

What we can't do is force people to discuss a particular Brexit topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Corbyn is pushing safe guarding businesses, and people work for businesses. Labour will do okay in my opinion. Tories in Brexit bubble.
    GE will show what the people want, Lib Dems will do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

why are we talking about British politics. Should we instead talk about the fallout when Britain leaves the EU. So many people will be affected. I have friends who work in Britain and come home every weekend.We should discuss thier plight and not what the SNP and DUP think.

They are British political parties so surely their input has some sway over events..

Shelga wrote: »
    Faced with the worst government in living memory, Labour have odds of 16/1 on Paddy Power of getting a majority in the GE.

Can’t help but think Corbyn is putting his ego over doing what is right for his country. And that makes him the same as Boris Johnson in some ways. I don’t envy the choice that your average non-headbanger voter has to make in this election. Shameful stuff.

for all sorts of reasons, this will be a truly fascinating election. it would be a brave pundit who thinks he/she can call it.

old tribal loyalties have been weakened, destroyed by Brexit. in other ways Brexit has hardened people's stance along new lines.

personally i think anything could happen, such is the flux in UK politics atm. oh and the results should be in on Friday 13th!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Corbyn is pushing safe guarding businesses, and people work for businesses. Labour will do okay in my opinion. Tories in Brexit bubble.
    GE will show what the people want, Lib Dems will do very well.
    You mean the same business that came out and stated that if you vote Brexit we'll go under and leave and had factory workers come out in majority for Brexit? Those businesses? Sorry but you overestimate the intelligence and general self preservation of the average voter.
    for all sorts of reasons, this will be a truly fascinating election. it would be a brave pundit who thinks he/she can call it.
    Calling it now; no party with majority and Tories end up making another deal with one of the following SNP/Libs/DUP/Brexit party. I also expect five or more MPs in the Tory party to vote against Boris deal and at least 3 in Labour to vote for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I can see the Tories gaining 50 or 60 seats in this election. LD gaining too. I don’t think we will see JC again after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

I can see the Tories gaining 50 or 60 seats in this election. LD gaining too. I don’t think we will see JC again after the election.

Then maybe Labour can start to become a serious political force again. Shame they’ll have blown their only chance of getting into power for another 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Problem for Lib Dems is that their leader is no Nick Clegg or Charles Kennedy when it comes to debating or media appearances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think you'll end up wrong on both accounts; the problem is the first past the gate system which will skew things for Labour over Lib (there was the vote prediction in a previous thread with Labour with 24% and Lib with 21% with Labour getting 10x the number of seats) and JC will remain in power because his click wants to take Labour even further to the left and JC is their guy to push that agenda. I also think JC will do better than expected during the rallies etc. as in the previous election "to counter Tories" which will have people vote tactically on Labour over LD (remember May had similar silly high polls in her favor when the election was called but I agree Boris is a better orator and campaigner).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I see the Tories have already taken back 10 of the rebel MPs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's way too much of an unknown at this point. I too have friends over there, one who works for a company supplying parts to the auto industry. He has just bought a house with his partner.

Right now it could be anything from No Brexit to No Deal but I think the likelihood is looking most like Johnson's deal after a GE. Immediately Brexit is delivered, then the trade negotiations will start and it is really only then the plight of Irish and others in the UK along with UK people elsewhere will become topical in a realistic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I see the Tories have already taken back 10 of the rebel MPs

No, some rebels have decided to go back to the fold. Just mesmerising how low some will stoop. But nothing at all surprises me now.

If BoJo gets a clear majority, then the Brexit deal will be voted through and the leave process will begin in January.

Nothing will change at the beginning of the transition period, but as the individual pieces of legistation are enacted as per the deal, it then that people will start to realise when the extra paperwork and restrictions appear, what Brexit is really about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Problem for Lib Dems is that their leader is no Nick Clegg or Charles Kennedy when it comes to debating or media appearances.

It would be funny if she lost her seat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement