Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is Brexit Day the 31st of January or the First of February?

23:00 (GMT) 31st January, 00:00 CET 1st February in Mainland Europe.

Edit:

Just to add:
    As far as parliament is concerned, it's all done and dusted!
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51241092
    Week ahead in Parliament (no EU related debates at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

1st of April would have been a better date..

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

B-Day planning continues with the release of the new commemorative coin.

_110647009_mediaitem110647008.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51250753

It will be interesting to see just how many people actually celebrate B-Day, or will it just be another day.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

the 31st. This coming friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

the 31st. This coming friday

At 11pm. I assume all the UK channels will have to mark it live in one form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Maybe they can go to the local airport and show all the EU citizens being turned back at passport control!

Except of course Brexit Day is the most BRINO event ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Strazdas wrote: »
    At 11pm. I assume all the UK channels will have to mark it live in one form or another.
    Would love if for example channel 4 played stock clip of a state funeral or similar :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Nody wrote: »
    Would love if for example channel 4 played stock clip of a state funeral or similar :P

The Last Leg are broadcasting and Adam Hills will be finally shaving his beard off.

That's exactly the amount of gravity Brexit deserves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Last Leg are broadcasting and Adam Hills will be finally shaving his beard off.

That's exactly the amount of gravity Brexit deserves.

Serious business shaving a beard off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Serious business shaving a beard off.

To be fair, as a beard owner I would ordinarily agree.

But he does hate it and only grew it because of Brexit. So not quite the daunting task it would be if I was to de-beard say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

B-Day planning continues with the release of the new commemorative coin.

Previous versions of the 50p coin had dates of March 29 and October 31 on them.

To be fair, as a beard owner I would ordinarily agree.

But he does hate it and only grew it because of Brexit. So not quite the daunting task it would be if I was to de-beard say.

But Brexit Day is a non-day as nothing changes.

Well at least in a good way. Some trade agreements default to WTO as the EU ones will no longer apply to the UK. Of course there will be no official marking of this.

The blue passports are not yet issued (or at least not as far as I know). Only a few 50p coins released, but they have been released early so not yet official.

Hmmmm, is there anything to celebrate? We could celebrate the few extra EU Parliament seats I suppose.

But Brexit Day is a non-day as nothing changes.

Well at least in a good way. Some trade agreements default to WTO as the EU ones will no longer apply to the UK. Of course there will be no official marking of this.

The blue passports are not yet issued (or at least not as far as I know). Only a few 50p coins released, but they have been released early so not yet official.

Hmmmm, is there anything to celebrate? We could celebrate the few extra EU Parliament seats I suppose.
    B-Day is the day the UK stops having an active voice in the day to day running of the EU and is compelled to follow the rules until the end of the transition period or sooner if an agreement is made.
    I expect that there will be a drip feeding of deals between now and the end of the year after which the remaining (unresolved) trade relations will be WTO rules.

Previous versions of the 50p coin had dates of March 29 and October 31 on them.
    They've recycled them, the new coins are restamped old ones.

From the link above.

But the Brexit delay meant about a million coins had to be melted down and the metal put aside until a new exit date was confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They've recycled them, the new coins are restamped old ones.

From the link above.

In my head all I can think is 'if you managed to get an old commemoration coin they'd be worth a fortune for scarcity alone'

so do we think theyll actually manage it, no parlimentary scuppering etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

In my head all I can think is 'if you managed to get an old commemoration coin they'd be worth a fortune for scarcity alone'

Nah, they minted too many of the Dublin Millennium 50ps, same with the Churchill crowns.

Nah, they minted too many of the Dublin Millennium 50ps, same with the Churchill crowns.

true of the january 31st ones, but if you had an october one saved from being melted down youd be on to a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

true of the january 31st ones, but if you had an october one saved from being melted down youd be on to a winner.

Did they make October ones? I know them scrapped a lot of March coins.

• Advertisement

So Brexit comes down to blue passports and 50p coins.

They could have minted £4 coins just to be different.

They have shown a significant lack of imagination throughout this magnificent mission.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The UK cabinet have remain consistent

The government is aiming to secure a "zero tariff, zero quota" free trade deal with the EU, Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay has said.

Versus

Britain will not align with European Union rules after Brexit, the UK's Home Secretary has insisted, as the country prepares to leave the bloc on Friday.

Meanwhile closer to home
    "This isn't about Ireland vetoing or any deal," she said. "I think we're all in agreement, all 27 member states, that we want a close relationship with the UK, but there has to be balance of rights and obligations, there needs to be a level playing field.
    The Express are reporting this as us threatening to veto any deal.

So getting a deal by the end of the year will be interesting

At a guess the UK will eat humble pie and try to spin it as a win
    "And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the heroes of Shelbyville. They had banished the awful lemon tree forever, because it was haunted. Now let's all celebrate with a cool glass of turnip juice."

Or go full on Hard Brexit :(

So Brexit comes down to blue passports and 50p coins.

They could have minted £4 coins just to be different.

They have shown a significant lack of imagination throughout this magnificent mission.
    The new 50p coins aren't a patch on the proper full sized 50p coins. I keep thinking they are 20p ones.

BTW the 20p coin isn't a patch on the Irish one with the horse.

I used to have some DDR pfennigs. They were made out of aluminium. They were so light they felt worthless. The UK 50p feels the same compared to what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The UK cabinet have remain consistent

The government is aiming to secure a "zero tariff, zero quota" free trade deal with the EU, Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay has said.

Versus

Britain will not align with European Union rules after Brexit, the UK's Home Secretary has insisted, as the country prepares to leave the bloc on Friday.

Meanwhile closer to home The Express are reporting this as us threatening to veto any deal.

So getting a deal by the end of the year will be interesting

At a guess the UK will eat humble pie and try to spin it as a win
    "And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the heroes of Shelbyville. They had banished the awful lemon tree forever, because it was haunted. Now let's all celebrate with a cool glass of turnip juice."

Or go full on Hard Brexit :(

Barclay's comments are a bit of a nonsense though. He's speaking as if the EU would allow the UK opt in and out of alignment.

Patel's hardline comments at least make more sense in that she is taking about a uniform position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

US Ambassador to the UK (and inept NFL team owner) Woody Johnson has said the UK should move to chlorine washed chicken. More sanitary or something. Mmmm...Brexit chicken pie with that lovely aroma of swimming pool...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/trump-us-uk-trade-deal-chlorinated-chicken-woody-johnson-food-safety-a9302506.html

so do we think theyll actually manage it, no parlimentary scuppering etc..
    Brexit isn't even on the schedule for debate in the HoC next week, as far as parliament is concerned, it's done and dusted.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Barclay's comments are a bit of a nonsense though. He's speaking as if the EU would allow the UK opt in and out of alignment.

Patel's hardline comments at least make more sense in that she is taking about a uniform position.
    Well he did say HS2 would be going ahead.

And that's a £100Bn subsidy, way more than EU membership.

Poor people won't take the fast trains because it'll likely be cheaper to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Brexit isn't even on the schedule for debate in the HoC next week, as far as parliament is concerned, it's done and dusted.

But they aren't actually doing anything week. It has in effect been out off till the end of the year.

They are sticking to the rules till the end of the year. They lose a voice in Europe but many of their MEPs were not interested in attending an putting forward the UK voice anyway so little difference there.

Poor people won't take the fast trains because it'll likely be cheaper to fly.
    Not if they care about climate change they won't.
    Anyway, it'll be decades before that's finished, reinstating a line that Beeching closes in the 1960s just to appease the road loving government of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If HS2 gets the go ahead, you can be sure that a Tory investor/contracter is in the mix. Just saying.

Mad money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement