Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1222562936771809280

And off they go.

Really were a circus show right until the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

And there we are, it's easy to be cynical but the fact of a nation being in a union and then leaving it is an emotional matter as much as a practical one even for cynical MEPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

An unexpected boost for the League of Ireland's UEFA co-efficient?

https://www.the42.ie/brexit-uk-football-clubs-4984997-Jan2020

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more sniping please. Posts deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭eire4

An unexpected boost for the League of Ireland's UEFA co-efficient?

https://www.the42.ie/brexit-uk-football-clubs-4984997-Jan2020

You would imagine this would lead to players staying and starting out their careers in the league of Ireland which would be great. I hope the push for an All Ireland league is successful as well.

You have to think brexit will have other effects on the epl as well such as limits on the number of foreign players of which now players from the EU will have to be counted as foreign cutting back quite a bit you would think on the number of foreign players plying their trade in the epl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Fair play to Mairéad mcguinness for her reply to Farage.hope the door doesn’t hit them too hard on their arses on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

no British citizens can stand for (re)election or vote in the poll. That's something that'll be felt acutely in those towns and villages where the British immigrants make up a sizeable portion of the community, and are sometimes amongst the most active local politicians.
    L1011 wrote: »
    That's oddly strict considering we allow anyone legally resident here to vote and stand in locals.
    Well, it's very strict anyway: as an EU-but-not-French citizen, I can only vote in (or stand for) the local elections and the Europeans (and the school board of governors!).

The significance, though, is that as of Sunday, where you have a village with an Irishman, a Dutchman, a German, an Italian and a Englishman in stable long-term residence, the latter now has to make a decision about whether or not they want to apply for French nationality. The others can enjoy every other benefit and advantage enjoyed by the natives without any discrimination. That's the new reality for these folks of being citizens of a "third country".

Local Councils in France would have a lot more power though than here. So I can see the merit in its restriction.
    They really don't have a lot of power anymore - not a lot more than being able to decide who collects the bins and whether or not to build a bigger shinier vanity project than the next commune along the road. ;) That's where the British councillors have had a positive effect: injecting a good dose of economic common-sense and creative "shopkeeper" ideas into the running of their adopted townland - with a consequent beneficial effect on the tax paid by their French neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Well, it's very strict anyway: as an EU-but-not-French citizen, I can only vote in (or stand for) the local elections and the Europeans (and the school board of governors!).

That is the same in any EU country as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The UK Fisheries Bill has been published - foreign boats could still fish UK waters if they are able to obtain a licence:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/sustainable-fisheries-enshrined-in-law-as-uk-leaves-the-eu

They were interviewing unionists up North on their thoughts re Brexit and the coming “Independence Day” on Ivan Yates on Newstalk just there.

I don’t say this often but I was genuinely shocked by some of their responses. I couldn’t believe the level of defiant ignorance of the whole thing all the while glad to be leaving.

Knew it was bad but didn’t realise the brainwashing ran to this degree. I’d advise ye all to have a listen back on the website just to give an idea of the level of misinformation and indifference we’re dealing with here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They were interviewing unionists up North on their thoughts re Brexit and the coming “Independence Day” on Ivan Yates on Newstalk just there.

Verhofstadt making it clear in the EU parliament today in the Brexit debate he wants full federation and an end to national vetoes.

We'll be on the way out ourselves sooner rather than later the way this is going.

EU will be a lonely place for Ireland without Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Verhofstadt making it clear in the EU parliament today in the Brexit debate he wants full federation and an end to national vetoes.

Nothing new there. He has been advocating a federal Europe for a long time. He wrote a book about it at least 15 years ago.

If any countries want to amalgamate into a federation they can do it. Nobody will force them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don’t say this often but I was genuinely shocked by some of their responses. I couldn’t believe the level of defiant ignorance of the whole thing all the while glad to be leaving.

Knew it was bad but didn’t realise the brainwashing ran to this degree. I’d advise ye all to have a listen back on the website just to give an idea of the level of misinformation and indifference we’re dealing with here.

The guy who had lived in England and moved back to Belfast was very telling. All about how the EU stifled them achieving greatness and they need to put the great back into Great Britain again.
    Shocking level of ignorance and lack of knowledge or care from the other interviewees too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,575 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Prepare yourself. For some of those people and their counterparts in Britain, BREXIT will never be a failure, not even if their children are starving and they are sitting in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1222562936771809280

And off they go.

Really were a circus show right until the end.

yep. Their nightmare is only beginning and they'll find that out soon enough. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

What's the legal status of using one's passport card to travel to Britain if it hasn't got a legality as the UK will be outside of the EU/EEA? Would it be perfectly legitimate for say Ryanair to refuse to recognise it for travel to Britain?
    Legally you don't need a passport (or passport card) to travel to the UK though airlines may insist upon it. Airlines are free to ask for whatever means of identification they wish. I would expect the passport card will still be acceptable as it is not about entry to the UK but about identifying yourself to the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

First Up wrote: »
    Nothing new there. He has been advocating a federal Europe for a long time. He wrote a book about it at least 15 years ago.

If any countries want to amalgamate into a federation they can do it. Nobody will force them.
    Exactly. The closest thing to a federation of nation states is the Benelux and that's a long way from it. I am actually a fan of further integration but I don't believe it will happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

I’d advise ye all to have a listen back on the website just to give an idea of the level of misinformation and indifference we’re dealing with here.

Is it this?
    https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/henry-mckean-on-the-hard-shoulder/britains-identity-live-identity-brexitday-belfast

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This Farage doc on Channel 4 right now is good viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

We'll be on the way out ourselves sooner rather than later the way this is going.

EU will be a lonely place for Ireland without Britain.

Verhofstadt is a federalist, has been for years. The EU is no more a federation now than it was when he started. Verhofstdat is only an MEP, he can't force the not at all federalist European Council to move the EU in a federalist direction.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But that brings us straight back to what Brexit actually means. Johnson hasn't got a clue, he is all for both a No deal and getting swift deal. Which version of his truth you choose to believe will lead to your version of Brexit.
    A swift deal preferably. No deal if necessary. This would be my interpretation. The actual outcome, of course, depends on negotiations.

Obviously we here in Ireland would be strongly hoping for some sort of deal rather than no deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    This Farage doc on Channel 4 right now is good viewing.
    Jesus that exit poll was some shock when it came wasn't it? I remember Alastair Campbells mouth hanging open on RTE. Corbyn is such a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

A swift deal preferably. No deal if necessary. This would be my interpretation. The actual outcome, of course, depends on negotiations.

Obviously we here in Ireland would be strongly hoping for some sort of deal rather than no deal.

A swift deal is very unlikely unless the UK quickly capitulates on every substantive point. Assuming the UK does not opt to quickly capitulate, it's either an extention or no-deal.

We certainly do not want no deal, but that does not mean we will be rushed into accepting an unduely advantagous deal for the UK through fear. No deal would be far worse for the UK than us and they have far more to fear than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting stats from bild.de

In the wake of Brexit, German exports to the UK fell significantly. From January to November 2019, German companies exported goods worth 73.6 billion euros to Great Britain - three billion euros or four percent less than in the same period last year, according to figures from the German Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DIHK).

"The UK's exit from the EU is a historic turning point for German companies," said DIHK President Eric Schweitzer.

"The transition phase until the end of the year will reduce the pressure somewhat for German companies, but the economic upheavals are already visible today." In the past three years, Great Britain has slipped from fifth to seventh place in Germany's most important trading partners. Exports, in particular, saw a significant decline of minus 6 percent during this period.

One can only imagine what the drops will be like if the trading barriers become much worse (decrease in exports rapidly accelerated in 2019 compared to 2017 and 2018).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Anyone taking bets on how long it will be until they reapply for membership?

Or will they just blame the EU for everything from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

They won’t reapply ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

It will have to be at least a generation. Their incompetence and negligence displayed over the last 3 years is not something that'll be welcomed back into the EU too easily and I'm sure some countries would object.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    No deal would be far worse for the UK than us and they have far more to fear than we do.
    I don't think the economic forecasts bear that out. Yes the UK will do worse but some of the forecasts suggest Ireland will only be slightly better off than the UK. Our ESRI was one of the earlier bodies making such a forecast.

• Advertisement

I don't think they will blame the EU for everything and nor do I think they will reapply soon after leaving for membership. The EU will simply fade from the agenda. The Daily Mail will find some other target.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement