Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Let's recall that if the SNP had voted Yes, the Commons would have voted for a Customs Union:

https://ig.ft.com/brexit-second-round-indicative-votes/

And given the WAB was agreed before the election, Johnson could hardly have overturned such a move in December.

Unfortunately (in retrospect) the SNP, Lib Dems, and parts of Labour gambled on rejecting all soft brexits in the hope of achieving no brexit. I'd imagine they thought that giving May her brexit meant that there'd be no more discussion on whether brexit should happen at all. Instead the pendulum swung the other way and rejecting May's brexit just led to a harder brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The UK flag has been officially lowered from the EU institutions:

https://twitter.com/andrewiconnell/status/1223322401758498818

• Registered Users Posts: 35,939 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

And still the leftist media roll out with lines like , '' a Brexit party tonight that the majority of the UK won't be going too''
    WTF
    They voted to leave, and then voted HUGELY for Boris. Still going with the line that the majority didn't want this is a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

And still the leftist media roll out with lines like , '' a Brexit party tonight that the majority of the UK won't be going too''
    WTF
    They voted to leave, and then voted HUGELY for Boris. Still going with the line that the majority didn't want this is a joke at this stage.

They gave him 43% of the vote, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

WTF

What percentage of the recent general election votes were for the Conservatives?

Less than 44% (https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8749).

Hugely?

Bit like the Bigly, Fantastic, GOAT vote Trump won the Presidency with ie 2m votes less than Clinton.

Democracy eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

WTF

Pro-remain or pro-second referendum parties got 53% of the vote at the General Election last month, actually.

And I think you'll find that the majority of people in the UK tonight definitely won't be attending a Brexit party.

I'm not sure why that line triggered you so much. Because it's true. Unless you have some evidence to the contrary that 33 million people will be attending Brexit parties tonight? Do you have such evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

54and56 wrote: »
    What percentage of the recent general election votes were for the Conservatives?

Less than 44% (https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8749).

Hugely?

Bit like the Bigly, Fantastic, GOAT vote Trump won the Presidency with ie 2m votes less than Clinton.

Democracy eh?

Their FPTP system also means that 56% of the electorate did not cast a vote of any description for the government and the same 56% are represented in Parliament by an MP they didn't vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,939 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Conservatives won the election hugely. There was never a chance for anyone to created a coalition against them. So those non voters must not have cared to remain, if they could not bother to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

A
    Can anyone remember what percentage of the vote the Tories got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

Conservatives won the election hugely. There was never a chance for anyone to created a coalition against them. So those non voters must not have cared to remain, if they could not bother to vote.
    Uh - these aren't non-voters, they voted. Therefore they are voters. HTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

SantaCruz wrote: »
    Yes, a look at the blasted economic wastelands of Western Europe totally bears out your point. :confused:
    Well I did not mean bombed out ruins but in economic terms a bit stagnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

Who'll be negotiating the FTA with the UK? Barnier or Big Phil?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

briany wrote: »
    Who'll be negotiating the FTA with the UK? Barnier or Big Phil?

Barnier, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Can please we have a total ban on people referring to that warped, inaccurate, out-of-date study. Citing it undermines the validity of any other argument about the relative strengths of the different member states and their constituent regions. :mad:

And off they go...farewell.

A nice family night out, eh? They better get those gulags prepared.

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1223381207045505024

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

A nice family night out, eh? They better get those gulags prepared.

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1223381207045505024

Are the traitors people with different political opinions than themselves? That seems pretty terrifying that they want to lock people up for having a different political opinion

How far they have sunk

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Have been in London today for work and would normally go out on a Friday after work and come home the next day, when I am there but tonight didn't bother with any of that as knew there would be smug triumphant Brexiteers so was out of there as quickly as possible.

Hearing someone scream death to all foreigners near Kings Cross and hearing a group of people discuss burning EU flags on the tube didn't make me really make me think I should change my mind. What I've found in the last few days here is that some of the same people who are being over the top triumphant are the same ones begging for unity. Hypocrites.

The only good thing is that things are not going to change too much in the short term, but I have friends who work on EU funded projects which are only guaranteed jobs until the end of the year and after that most likely they will be out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Gintonious wrote: »

I think it's fairly certain that there won't even be the bones of a deal by the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Farage on Sky News spouting the usual soundbites there, if we lose anything from this now, I hope its him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

:confused: That article has nothing to do with the other one, which only reported that some parts of rich EU member states are not as rich as others (based on creative accounting) and has since been used over and over and over to claim that underperforming areas of the UK are actually poor, and not much better than recently joined Eastern European members. Every time someone cites it, it gives Brexiters and their ilk just cause to say "you're talking utter tosh!"

devnull wrote: »
    Have been in London today for work and would normally go out on a Friday after work and come home the next day, when I am there but tonight didn't bother with any of that as knew there would be smug triumphant Brexiteers so was out of there as quickly as possible.

Hearing someone scream death to all foreigners near Kings Cross and hearing a group of people discuss burning EU flags on the tube didn't make me really make me think I should change my mind. What I've found in the last few days here is that some of the same people who are being over the top triumphant are the same ones begging for unity. Hypocrites.

The only good thing is that things are not going to change too much in the short term, but I have friends who work on EU funded projects which are only guaranteed jobs until the end of the year and after that most likely they will be out of work.
    I suspect it won't change much, not for the better anyway. Shithole towns like Boston will still be shithole towns, empty of young people and good jobs in 5, 10 and 15 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

So they are gone and watching sky news it’s a really classy event that’s going on in parliament square.the smugness of the leavers is on full show.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Are the traitors people with different political opinions than themselves? That seems pretty terrifying that they want to lock people up for having a different political opinion

How far they have sunk

They fantasise about living in a heroic age. I guess Guardian journalists and Pakistani shopkeepers and Polish nurses and Portuguese nannies will have to substitute for the Wehrmacht in their imaginations.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

well I suppose thats it then. UK's now officially out of the EU. It's going to be absolutely fascinating to see what happens over the next 6 months or so. Farewell UK. You're all on your own now.

Christy42 wrote: »

How far they have sunk

Incredibly far already and still haven't hit rock bottom yet.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    So they are gone and watching sky news it’s a really classy event that’s going on in parliament square.the smugness of the leavers is on full show.

Yes. Have to admit, it's very Reeling in the years type of stuff.

I suspect it won't change much, not for the better anyway. Shithole towns like Boston will still be shithole towns, empty of young people and good jobs in 5, 10 and 15 years time.

They should call it Baked Beantown.

• Advertisement

well I suppose thats it then. UK's now officially out of the EU. It's going to be absolutely fascinating to see what happens over the next 6 months or so. Farewell UK. You're all on your own now.

While what happens to the UK will be interesting, I'm more interested in how the EU reacts. There really ought to be a period of reflection in the EU at what were the causes of this loss of a large member state.

Yes some of the pressures were down to domestic peculiarities within the UK such as a uniquely hostile media but the EU needs to examine it's own failures in the process too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement