Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

And Johnson jailed for his prorogation attempt?

Well no, because the courts have already pronounced on the johnson case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Why can't they blame the EU? Id say it'd be a handy scapegoat.
    At least they might start blaming the US too when they realise what negotiating a trade deal means, especially with Trump.
    ironically, I think from now on, it would actually be more accurate to blame the EU. If only because it's gone from partner to competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭briany

Now that Brexit is done, let's settle in for another 11 months of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hurrache wrote: »

Never once seen him take any interest in Irish affairs.

Must of really got up his nose. Gas stuff altogether.

We used to be the wee country to be ignored. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

A couple of people have posted similar over the different threads we've had over the years but none have ever named companies that are doing this.

I understand the reluctance to name the companies doing this if you're working for them, but you'd expect people to be able to name the former companies they were working for at it even with just natural churn.

Let me join in. The company I work for (a tech 'unicorn') set up its EMEA headquarters immediately after Brexit. There are over 100 of us there now, dwarfing the London office (former HQ) by 4 to 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

SantaCruz wrote: »
    Let me join in. The company I work for (a tech 'unicorn') set up its EMEA headquarters immediately after Brexit. There are over 100 of us there now, dwarfing the London office (former HQ) by 4 to 1.

If you're not willing to name names then they don't believe you. The many news articles of companies that have gone public with their reorgs and moved jobs around isn't enough for them.
    Most companies don't go public about this kind of stuff. They don't want to alienate current or future customers with negative news if they're staying in the market.

Hurrache wrote: »

Epic Britsplaining here from Mr. Neil. I'm not sure what his expertise is, but it's pretty clear what it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Epic Britslpaining here from Mr. Neil. I'm not sure what his expertise is, but it's pretty clear what it is not.

His 'expertise' is aggressive bluster. It's considered a positive trait in elite circles in Britain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm guessing then for the next year we're going to get the Dead Cat Bounce effect, with commentators and bad actors wondering what all the fuss is about, while the grace period of continued alignment ticks down and they fail to draw the dots? Things will likely trend downward but those drunk of Hyper Anglophilia won't see the pattern. I hope I'm wrong really, a lot of already moribund towns in England may be staring down the barrel of utter collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I do believe that Bercow should have been jailed for that stunt where he facilitated the ramming of all 3 "readings" of an opposition bill through in 3 hours.
    Blatant abuse of the system, and not even trying to hide his bias towards the end of his tenure.

What charge and which law did he break? I mean I want people who irritate me to be jailed for no reason but...you know life doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Again. Unnamed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

timetogo1 wrote: »
    If you're not willing to name names then they don't believe you. The many news articles of companies that have gone public with their reorgs and moved jobs around isn't enough for them.
    Most companies don't go public about this kind of stuff. They don't want to alienate current or future customers with negative news if they're staying in the market.
    Again. Unnamed.

Mod: Enough of this please. You can take a poster at their word or not but asking them to name their employer is not on.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well, I think trying to sabotage a referendum result is something different to simply "having a different political opinion". However, that they should be jailed is over the top. And, of course, it is only a tiny minority using this kind of language.

Small amounts of people can cause a lot of damage. See the increase in racism reported

Should this include Boris for sabotaging it when he voted against May's deal? Do you expect every single anti abortion campaigner to have pro abortion views here? Will we see Renua doing stunts where they open up abortion clinics? No of course not. They will fight for their point of view as they are entitled. They couldn't fight the result because a referendum in Ireland has legal status but in the UK it is a glorified opinion poll.

If Fine Gael don't act on the latest opinion poll does that make them traitors? Or if they argue against it?

It is dangerous language that will get people killed. It may be a minority but I would expect the leaders to stand up to that talk and shout it down to try some reconciliation instead of encouraging this outright hostility.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just read this article, - what will change after brexit

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51194363

It's not particularly truthful is it?
    Technically they have shirked their responsibility as a public service broadcaster by answering a different question.

It's like when you cancel a phone or broadband subscription.
    You still get service until the termination date but that tells you nothing about what happens afterwards.

As Tony Connelly succinctly puts it
    Brexit is done: Now for the hard part

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Again. Unnamed.
    My niece works for a company based in London who are letting a lot of people go. Not her thankfully, but they sell cosmetics into the EU. And no, I don't know the name of the company concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Again. Unnamed.

What happens a Premier league team when they get demoted to the championship? They lose their Premier league class players to clubs still in the Premier league.

That's what's happening with Brexit, the UK are leaving the top tier, they're going to lose business that wants to be still in the top tier. Its really not hard to understand and it's not some weird conspiracy.

There may be opportunities from it for a lot of businesses, much like demotion for a club will give plenty of players who remain at the club opportunity to step up and perform.

If you're not into football try and think of a logical comparison relative to your own interests.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

People won't necessarily name the company they work for because of the fact there are some people who are mad as a hatter out there who will use that information to try and target them. I do not think that anyone should be forced to name their employer on boards, because some anonymous person they don;t know from Adam asks for it.

I have a friend who works for a UK community interest company that gets grants from a certain European fund and they do not know what is going to happen after 2022 when the funding runs out. The reason they went to the EU in the first place for funding was because local government didn't see the need to fund such things properly directly.

The funding was to support some of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged people in society who have all been abandoned by Tory governments who sees them as nothing but a liability and local authorities have wanted to help but the Tories have gutted their funding too so you have areas of the UK who are dependent on EU funding because of the massive funding cuts have hit the poorest in society the most.

Funds like the EU Social Fund have been vital to assisting those who need support the most in an environment of massive Tory cuts to public services and the idea that leaving the EU isn't going to effect people is the typical kind of view of someone who has no idea about the daily struggles of the all but abandoned in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A year ago, a friend of mine had to close the English base of a multinational employing 50 people. He told the people there, and it was widely reported in the local media via the company's press releases, that the closure was due to consolidation across Europe. In reality, it was 100% as a result of Brexit instability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Christy42 wrote: »
    Should this include Boris for sabotaging it when he voted against May's deal? Do you expect every single anti abortion campaigner to have pro abortion views here? Will we see Renua doing stunts where they open up abortion clinics? No of course not. They will fight for their point of view as they are entitled. They couldn't fight the result because a referendum in Ireland has legal status but in the UK it is a glorified opinion poll.
    Regarding the referendum as a glorified opinion poll was probably the biggest mistake of the remainers. Legally, of course, it does not carry any weight; that is true, but that is to miss the point of it.

Johnson did vote against the May's deal (although he finally voted for it) so he could be regarded as having betrayed his party or his cabinet but the intent was never to overturn the referendum result. What I think the electorate saw in the activities of the Labour party and some others among the Tories was an attempt to invalidate the Leave vote and this is why they punished those MPs and not Johnson. Even the admittedly dodgy prorogation was not punished in the subsequent election.

But as I have said earlier, I don't think anyone should be jailed. Rejection in the election is the appropriate and sufficient response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

What is happening about Gibraltar? I thought the transition did not apply to them?

Here ya go: Brexit trade talks: EU to back Spain over Gibraltar claims
    The EU will back Spain over its territorial claims to Gibraltar in the next phase of Brexit negotiations by giving Madrid the power to exclude the British overseas territory from any trade deal struck with Brussels.
    As an EU member state, the UK had been able to resist Spanish claims over the territory but Madrid will now have the full support of the other 26 countries in the bloc.

It'd be funny if Gibraltar of all places was the first to declare independence and seek admission to the EU, or at least the EEA, so as not to be trapped in a protracted battle between the motherland and the continent!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Regarding the referendum as a glorified opinion poll was probably the biggest mistake of the remainers. Legally, of course, it does not carry any weight; that is true, but that is to miss the point of it.

Johnson did vote against the May's deal (although he finally voted for it) so he could be regarded as having betrayed his party or his cabinet but the intent was never to overturn the referendum result. What I think the electorate saw in the activities of the Labour party and some others among the Tories was an attempt to invalidate the Leave vote and this is why they punished those MPs and not Johnson. Even the admittedly dodgy prorogation was not punished in the subsequent election.

But as I have said earlier, I don't think anyone should be jailed. Rejection in the election is the appropriate and sufficient response.

The very holding of the referendum was a catastrophic mistake but yes, once the blasted thing had been held, the UK was in an awful political mess with no easy way out.

It would be like holding an advisory and ill defined referendum on breaking up the UK and abolishing the monarchy i.e. it could only be followed by total chaos if voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

Here ya go: Brexit trade talks: EU to back Spain over Gibraltar claims

It'd be funny if Gibraltar of all places was the first to declare independence and seek admission to the EU, or at least the EEA, so as not to be trapped in a protracted battle between the motherland and the continent!

It can't. The treaty that gave Gibraltar to the UK states that if they ever become independent, they go back to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Happy Brexit Day everyone.

12 threads in and another whole year to look forward to.

Again. Unnamed.
    Do you really expect me to put easily idenitfiable information here which can be traced back to me? A tiny bit of googling should solve the mystery for you if you actually care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭briany

Saddest thing for Remainers is that the UK can now never again be in the EU with the same deal they had.

The jeopardy for the UK is now much higher. There is still every possibility of no-deal and I'm not sure if parliament can stop it as they had done before. I think the combination of public fatigue and thinking that 'Brexit is done' may well lead to an apathy that the likes of Mark Francois will positively relish, and what seemed like a reasonable withdrawal agreement will in effect be little more than an 11 month deferment of his preferred outcome.

According to a couple of posts I've seen on facebook, the supermarkets are using B-Day as an excuse to raise prices.
    Petrol prices are also rising, but that's more likely due to world events working through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good article:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-pointless-masochistic-ambition-history-done
    In the early days of the referendum campaign we learned that “on the doorstep” it was all about migration; but we also learned that it was the UK’s decision, not the EU’s, to allow unlimited migration from the accession countries before the permitted seven years were up; it was the UK’s choice to allow EU migrants to stay more than six months without a job; it was the UK that successfully campaigned to enlarge the EU eastwards; it is the UK, not the EU, that lets non-EU migration continue (and why not?) as EU migration declines. We also learned that the UK, not the EU, opted for our maroon rather than patriotic blue passports. Though, as I look, my old passports seem almost black.
    Thats the bit Ill never understand, they always had total control of immigration, it was governments on both sides that always allowed it and business that demanded it but a huge chunk of the population was always allowed to think it was the EU forcing this on the UK, you never really saw any anger directed at Blair and Cameron for it, it would come up sometimes but nothing compared to the blame the EU got anyway. Total public disinformation over decades in a first world Western democracy.

Thargor wrote: »
    Good article:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-pointless-masochistic-ambition-history-done

Thats the bit Ill never understand, they always had total control of immigration, it was governments on both sides that always allowed it and business that demanded it but a huge chunk of the population was always allowed to think it was the EU forcing this on the UK, you never really saw any anger directed at Blair and Cameron for it, it would come up sometimes but nothing compared to the blame the EU got anyway. Total public disinformation over decades in a first world Western democracy.
    Proof positive that a vested interest (foreign traders, outside the EU) can influance the elecorate into believing that the EU was the main cause of all their woes and they are better off on the outside, in reality it will be seen as a way of increasing the wedge in their back pockets.
    A small number of US multinationals will benefit greatly from a weakened EU.

I would have much preferred the UK remaining and the EU rolling back to the EEC type of a union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Probably just more noise but you would have thought this would have been a bigger story

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/johnson-to-impose-full-customs-checks-on-goods-from-eu-report

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement