Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This one alone suggests to me that Johnson has no intention of signing a trade deal with the EU, not unless it's some bargain basement thing with little to no alignment with the union

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The drama took a break over Christmas but series 2 looks like a humdinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Here is hoping we in Ireland don't get included in said costs, what with a lot of our current goods coming via or from suppliers in the UK.

Its important that we start switch to eu suppliers , even for our every day to day internet purchases etc.

That's a Dutch wholesaler's website. They charge €18.95 shipping to Ireland, and the minimum order for Ireland will stay at €100.

For personal internet purchases, the threshold is €22.00 before you may be liable to pay import duties etc.

People will still be able to buy lower value items, up to the value of €22.00 from the UK, but should consider buying from either EU or other non-EU sellers from next year on, depending on the total cost, including any delivery charges, which also incur import charges.

Import duties are charged on the cost of the imported goods *and* the cost of shipping them to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Johnson has gotten rid of the Tory remainers, and now he is going after the anti no dealers.
    That means only one thing. Crash out a coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

If Javid won't accept the PM essentially sacking his advisors, and is willing to step down over the point, then why in the name of God is he saying he'll support the PM and government from the backbenches?

It's nonsensical. I never had much faith in Javid either way, I've seen him as a careerist to date, but the Treasury being under direct control of No10 is worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    If Javid won't accept the PM essentially sacking his advisors, and is willing to step down over the point, then why in the name of God is he saying he'll support the PM and government from the backbenches?

It's nonsensical. I never had much faith in Javid either way, I've seen him as a careerist to date, but the Treasury being under direct control of No10 is worse.

You answered your own question: he's a careerist so taking himself off the front bench is as much as his principles will allow. He doesnt want to make himself an irrelevance like rory stewart. Can bide his time on the backbenchers, see how the brexit sh!tshow unfolds and play the long game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nauseating to see that awful whinger Dominic Grieve back on the airwaves today after a hiatus from the media and lashing into his own party over reshuffle news in the style you'd expect from the opposition. Even in the case that he were 100% right in what he's saying wouldn't you think he'd have some party loyalty and leave that kind of stuff to the opposition. What a traitor and very sore looser. I suppose when you spend a whole 3 years whinging it's hard just suddenly stop. He really does epitomize the worst of the remainer contingent. Clearly he still hasn't gotten over his personal Brexit loss and doesn't intend getting over it. Well I hope he enjoy's where he's chosen to dwell but all he does is leave himself open to ridicule.

Having said that I think it is sad to see Javid leave his job. It was good to have a Muslim in a top job and he seems like a descent enough bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,397 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

AllForIt wrote: »
    Nauseating to see that awful whinger Dominic Grieve back on the airwaves today after a hiatus from the media and lashing into his own party over reshuffle news in the style you'd expect from the opposition. Even in the case that he were 100% right in what he's saying wouldn't you think he'd have some party loyalty and leave that kind of stuff to the opposition. What a traitor and very sore looser. I suppose when you spend a whole 3 years whinging it's hard just suddenly stop. He really does epitomize the worst of the remainer contingent. Clearly he still hasn't gotten over his personal Brexit loss and doesn't intend getting over it. Well I hope he enjoy's where he's chosen to dwell but all he does is leave himself open to ridicule.

Having said that I think it is sad to see Javid leave his job. It was good to have a Muslim in a top job and he seems like a descent enough bloke.
    The irony! The irony! It burns!

Javid was fired because he would not display the loyalty demanded by Johnson/Cummings. His resignation letter is extremely subversive; it would tend to end the career of any Prime Minister being held to ordinary standards by his party.

What distinguishes Grieve and Javid is not that one was loyal and the other was not; both were disloyal. It is that one is a Remainer and the other a Brexitger. I think this is the real reason for the distinction you make between them, but either you choose not to admit that or you are so blinding by Brexit groupthink that you are unaware of it.

Johnson is on a mission. But needs Cummings to achieve the results.
    Other way round, I fear.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Tommie Gorman thinks it might be connected to the legacy issues of British troops in NI. Apparently Johnson wasn't happy with his stance on this.
    This. Word is that Johson felt he had been blindsided by some of the stuff that Smith agreed to in relation to investigation/prosecution of historic crimes by the security forces.

Word from the other camp is that, if Johnson was "blindsided" by anything, it was because he didn't read his papers, or listen to the cabinet discussions, in both of which the matter was fully aired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This. Word is that Johson felt he had been blindsided by some of the stuff that Smith agreed to in relation to investigation/prosecution of historic crimes by the security forces.

Word from the other camp is that, if Johnson was "blindsided" by anything, it was because he didn't read his papers, or listen to the cabinet discussions, in both of which the matter was fully aired.

Telegraph are saying its because of his stance on Brexit and also his lack of support for the prorogation of parliament, but are saying No. 10 was trying to blame it on legacy issues by saying JS didn't inform No. 10, which of course is untrue as Smith was in No. 10 before it was agreed.

It must have been common knowledge anyway as Simon and Julian came out together and threatened to publish the details of the proposed agreement which spurred the DUP to agree.

jm08 wrote: »
    Telegraph are saying its because of his stance on Brexit and also his lack of support for the prorogation of parliament, but are saying No. 10 was trying to blame it on legacy issues by saying JS didn't inform No. 10, which of course is untrue as Smith was in No. 10 before it was agreed.
    Either way, these are all really bad reasons for sacking him. By his own account, Johnson wants to heal the country and unite the party so that Britain can step forward cheerfully and confidently into the sunny uplands. Taking petty revenge on one of your most competent and successful ministers because he opposed you in the past is a poor strategy for acheiving that objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That sounds totally plausible. Apparently he is useless at detail.

I've no idea where the idea has come from that he is some sort of intellectual. He seems to be a big eejit who has learned off a few Latin phrases. Even Theresa May appears to be far more intelligent than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The irony! The irony! It burns!

Javid was fired because he would not display the loyalty demanded by Johnson/Cummings. His resignation letter is extremely subversive; it would tend to end the career of any Prime Minister being held to ordinary standards by his party.

What distinguishes Grieve and Javid is not that one was loyal and the other was not; both were disloyal. It is that one is a Remainer and the other a Brexitger. I think this is the real reason for the distinction you make between them, but either you choose not to admit that or you are so blinding by Brexit groupthink that you are unaware of it.

He wasn't fired - he resigned.

You talk about irony but when Johnson seeks to have treasury advisers replaced that doesn't fit his purpose for whatever reason for which I think he's entitled - everyone else says he should sack his adviser.

So which is it? Who should decide what advisers one has. It's not like Javid did much to win the election, it was all about Boris and I think he's perfectly entitled to get what he wants.

As for you final comment - you seem to have a habit of being deliberately obscure thus I'm not bothered to try and figure it out or respond.

So which is it? Who should decide what advisers one has.

Typically, it would be the person being advised.

He wasn't fired - he resigned.
    He was fired, in that he was told he would only be reappointed to his office if he dismissed his advisers and replaced them with nominees of Dominic Cummings, a condition he was not willing to accept. Since he was not willing to accept it, he could not continue in office. Only a Brexiter could frame this as resignation rather than dismissal.
    You talk about irony but when Johnson seeks to have treasury advisers replaced that doesn't fit his purpose for whatever reason for which I think he's entitled - everyone else says he should sack his adviser.

So which is it? Who should decide what advisers one has. It's not like Javid did much to win the election, it was all about Boris and I think he's perfectly entitled to get what he wants.
    Johnson is entitled to appoint his own advisers, obviously, but the idea that the Prime Minister appoints other ministers' advisers is a constitional novelty, not just in the UK but in other parliamentary democracies. You may think that Johson is entitled to get what he wants, but your resons for thinking so are not very persuasive. Other party leaders before Johnson have won elections; it has not occurred to any of them that this means they are now entitled to appoint advisers to ministers other than themselves.
    As for you final comment - you seem to have a habit of being deliberately obscure thus I'm not bothered to try and figure it out or respond.
    Let me be clearer, so: You hold Javid and Grieve to different standards of loyalty because one is a Brexiter and the other a Remainer, but you are in denial about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

it was all about Boris and I think he's perfectly entitled to get what he wants.

Best of luck with the budget!

Commentary from Tony Connelly re the EU and the application of EU law to NI post 31st December. They mean business......

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1228230488885624832?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Party before country eh, FF would be proud of you on this side of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

A very small taster is what is to come for some of the less well informed Brexiter

https://twitter.com/ColinBrowning14/status/1227906931450425344

I can only wonder what the expectations of what life will be like in a no deal scenario exists in some peoples minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

What are you talking about? Grieve was one of the good guys. England is now the Cummings/Johnson regime and the sad thing is it would never have happened if Varadkar had not signed off on that Withdrawal agreement "deal". Then, the remainers would have still had the opportunity to stop the whole crap shoot in its tracks.
    Expect more of the same anti democratic totalitarian nonsense from Johnson/Cummings over the next few years. And enjoy England crashing out of the EU with no deal. And crashing out of the Union eventually too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Panrich wrote: »
    A very small taster is what is to come for some of the less well informed Brexiter

I can only wonder what the expectations of what life will be like in a no deal scenario exists in some peoples minds.
    It's quite incredible that this is not satire.

We spent the last four years ridiculing the stereotype of the Brexiteer who demanded that the UK get out of the EU while also retaining all of the benefits of being in it.

And here he is, in all his glory.

I guarantee though that he places all the blame on the EU "punishing" the UK for leaving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Panrich wrote: »

https://twitter.com/ColinBrowning14/status/1227906931450425344

I mean.... Ending freedom of movement.... You end freedom of movement and now you complain when movement now takes longer...

Is this just some bizarre brand of English exceptionalism at work here? Only the lesser peoples of Europe are to have their freedom of movement rights curtailed?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I mean.... Ending freedom of movement.... You end freedom of movement and now you complain when movement now takes longer...

Is this just some bizarre brand of English exceptionalism at work here? Only the lesser peoples of Europe are to have their freedom of movement rights curtailed?
    In a word, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

FoM hasn't been stopped yet has it? I thought everything was still the same until end of transition period?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Leroy42 wrote: »
    FoM hasn't been stopped yet has it? I thought everything was still the same until end of transition period?

Some of the responses to the thread show it's just a bit of 'having on.' FOM is still in place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Leroy42 wrote: »

So did I. Perhaps airports and governments want to use the period to modify their immigration controls to accommodate for Brexit.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It may just be Schiphol which has a quirky way of handling passport control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

Nothing to stop British people putting themselves in non-EU queues though. I know in the immediate aftermath of the referendum I tried to post something home to Ireland and the guy in the post office insisted on forcing me to fill in customs paperwork because he had his sovereignty back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement