Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What are you talking about? Grieve was one of the good guys. England is now the Cummings/Johnson regime and the sad thing is it would never have happened if Varadkar had not signed off on that Withdrawal agreement "deal". Then, the remainers would have still had the opportunity to stop the whole crap shoot in its tracks.
    Expect more of the same anti democratic totalitarian nonsense from Johnson/Cummings over the next few years. And enjoy England crashing out of the EU with no deal. And crashing out of the Union eventually too.

It's Varadkar's fault?

Good Lord

Winters wrote: »
    It may just be Schiphol which has a quirky way of handling passport control.

Tbf, with the right combination of flights landing at Schiphol you can well be stuck in that queue a while. Especially of you use your passport card.

C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It's Varadkar's fault?

Good Lord

No, but he should have known well not to trust Johnson at his word. I mean a few weeks earlier Johnson was closing down democracy to get his way.

No, but he should have known well not to trust Johnson at his word. I mean a few weeks earlier Johnson was closing down democracy to get his way.

That post still blames Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Daemonic wrote: »
    Why is Schipol training new border staff? ;)

Similar lengthy 'teaser' delays attributable to Brexit preparations have been experienced by Eurostar and Eurotunnel travellers in the past few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Full trade figures for 2019 have been published - more exports going to Germany this year than to GB, which now accounts for 8.8% overall:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gei/goodsexportsandimportsdecember2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Tony Connelly has been getting a lot of interesting information about the NI Protocol and what it actually entails. I maybe reading too much into this but if he is getting the information given to him then it must be a concern for the EU.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1228345214135394304?s=20

I will also link the last tweet in the thread as well,

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1228345231969587206?s=20

So basically the EU is worried the UK is misreading the deal they agreed to and will not put controls in place as they believe the FTA will mean no checks will need to be done. But surely the UK should know that if there is no alignment with EU standards and tariffs then checks has to take place? I can grasp this so people who are educated in private schools and have university degrees should be able to understand this simple point. The EU will not allow the UK to gamble on no infrastructure being in place and thus forcing a deal that minimizes the need for checks just because it is convenient and expedient. They want those checks to be carried out, and if it turns out they aren't needed then no harm done.

That post still blames Varadkar.
    Not really. You can interpret what I said how you choose, but grammatically, I did not blame Varadkar when you think about it. Its just a potential consequence of a choice made probably in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Boris Johnson has canceled his planned trip to the White House after Trump slammed the phone down on him in a moment of 'apoplectic' fury

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-cancels-visit-donald-trump-slammed-phone-down-apoplectic-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

hows that trade deal looking now boris ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1228361780772118529

Looking like an interesting year ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,894 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gintonious wrote: »

I'm actually not even sure what they are up to at this stage.

I mean who's the audience now? Domestic stuff was won. Is this guff for international audience... The ones they want to do deals with....

It's absolutely perplexing if anything I'd firmly believe it's to make as much money out of disaster capitalism and then jaunt off into the sunset.

Normal service has been resumed. The Sinn Fein Irish government negotiators won't be as understanding and trusting as the Fine Gael ones were.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

listermint wrote: »

I mean who's the audience now? Domestic stuff was won. Is this guff for international audience... The ones they want to do deals with....

It's absolutely perplexing if anything I'd firmly believe it's to make as much money out of disaster capitalism and then jaunt off into the sunset.

The exact same questions in my mind when I saw the headline. Trying to appease Leave voters and the Daily Telegraph? A dig at the EU maybe? Who even benefits from this? I assume he is quoting Johnson and Cummings parrot fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

He's peddling the same lie about re-opening the WA.

I could easily see the transition period not lasting its term if this carries on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've reached not caring stages. Finally. I simply don't care. I think we will actually be better off without their toxicity.

"I appreciate what Michel Barnier says, he's a very good man trying to do a good job for the EU.

"But this is also the man who said we couldn't open the Withdrawal Agreement.

"Our Prime Minister got that agreement open, got a new agreement. We've got it through parliament, we've left the European Union.

"And we're going to build for a better economy for the whole of the United Kingdom as one.

"We are absolutely clear. As a UK government, we will not be having a border down the Irish Sea."

I don't even know what to say.

Strazdas wrote: »
    The exact same questions in my mind when I saw the headline. Trying to appease Leave voters and the Daily Telegraph? A dig at the EU maybe? Who even benefits from this? I assume he is quoting Johnson and Cummings parrot fashion.

It's pointless. Brexiteers on the street have moved on. It's done for them. They aren't paying attention to this stuff any more. Not sure what the point is. Sowing discord everywhere maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    He's peddling the same lie about re-opening the WA.

I could easily see the transition period not lasting it's term if this carries on.

Once I read that part regarding the WA, I knew he was full of hot air.

The EU will make minced meat out of them in the negotiations.

Once I read that part regarding the WA, I knew he was full of hot air.

The EU will make minced meat out of them in the negotiations.

But there must be a reason he is saying this. There's no way a yes man like him would go on a solo run....he must be quoting what his master Johnson told him.

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's pointless. Brexiteers on the street have moved on. It's done for them. They aren't paying attention to this stuff any more. Not sure what the point is. Sowing discord everywhere maybe.

There is one obvious theory though. Lewis is telling the truth in fact and his govt is planning for No Deal in January.

• Advertisement

There is one obvious theory though. Lewis is telling the truth in fact and his govt is planning for No Deal in January.

Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

But this has been agreed in the WA, it forms part of an treaty. The EU won't let the UK back off this, the funny part will be the UK being taken to the ECJ and having their arse handed to them.

For the UK more worryingly will be the fact other countries are watching how they are being less than honest and trustworthy, it doesn't bode well for UK future trade deals

lawred2 wrote: »
    Good luck to them.

Given the bombast and the rhetoric at the moment, you would have to think it's quite likely.

I heard an observer saying this week they had never seen trade talks get off to such a bad start : one side firing cheap shots and digs at the people they want a trade deal from. Maybe the truth is they don't want any FTA.

Not really. You can interpret what I said how you choose, but grammatically, I did not blame Varadkar when you think about it. Its just a potential consequence of a choice made probably in good faith.

I'm interpreting the language as written. That's all.

Doesn't matter anyway.

Normal service has been resumed. The Sinn Fein Irish government negotiators won't be as understanding and trusting as the Fine Gael ones were.

That's irrelevant.

Julian Smith was actually on top of his brief like no one since Hain. He worked really well with SF.

How he even got NI in the first Johnson cabinet I don't know.

Lewis is a patsy and a yes man.

That's irrelevant.

Julian Smith was actually on top of his brief like no one since Hain.

Lewis is a patsy and a yes man.

Far too on top of his brief. Actually gave some thought to soldiers engaging in extra judicial murders rather than the comic book Mark Francois view of men in uniforms..

Sad times.. in the space of one week NI has lost both Simon Coveney and Julian Smith.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

It's not for an audience. It's for a negotiation strategy. They are putting a possibility of a border in Ireland back on the table as a threat. Exactly as I always predicted they would.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112094982&postcount=4812

Threatening them with the European Court action is pointless too. They won't even show up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In and of itself this should be easy to sort out but too many of these and the EU will be more worried about data sharing and it's citizens rights.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51486511
    PSNI data: European court rules ID policy breaches human rights
    the PSNI were only empowered to delete biometric data and photographs "in exceptional circumstances".

Notes
    Most people in NI are entitled to EU citizenship.
    Besides it's not an EU court. European Court of Human Rights includes Greenland and Russian

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭moon2

Tea Shock wrote: »
    It's for a negotiation strategy. They are putting a possibility of a border in Ireland back on the table as a threat. Exactly as I always predicted they would.

I don't understand the mechanism under which they could put a border within Ireland. Could you explain? Is it simply that they're going to renege completely on the withdrawal agreement, or wilfully misinterpret it? Or are you concerned they would put one in place even though there's no requirement to have one due to the provisions contained within the withdrawal agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Tea Shock wrote: »
    It's not for an audience. It's for a negotiation strategy. They are putting a possibility of a border in Ireland back on the table as a threat. Exactly as I always predicted they would.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112094982&postcount=4812

Threatening them with the European Court action is pointless too. They won't even show up.

Exactly. The UK always said that the border agreement should be part of the trade talks, and did everything to get their way.

Even if put up a border, it will be so meaningless and open to political whim as to be worthless. They have no intention of abiding by the WA.

As they see if, Johnson managed to get the EU to shift its position. We might look at it and say not really, but they see it as him doing the impossible. And he would have got more only that the HoC was tieing his hands.

Freed from that he now has the ability to drive straight at the EU. He is banking on the likes of Poland, Germany and France to look at the real possibility of no deal and the impacts on their economies. Macron cannot afford a French recession. Merkel is busy trying to find a successor and hold off the rises of AfD.

The EU will be faced with No Deal and having a prolonged fight or making a deal. They are banking on pragmatism and using Trumps 'make them think you are crazy enough to do anything'

I'm not saying it will work, just that is my reading of it. They have nothing to lose. Any normal deal is way worse that the EU deal they had, so it's a 'double bluff all chips in' move.

And let's face it. Thatcher bullied them back in the day, and even Cameron got some small concessions so why not again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement