Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

It's the EU that uses chlorine wash on pre-packed salad, at a higher concentration that the USA uses on chicken too. But then, the EU has no scientific objection to chlorine wash, it just uses it as a non tariff barrier. We might be safer using it.
    A wonderful example of a brexiter deliberately misleading statement: the chlorine washed chicken issue is regarding the absolutely horrifyingly filthy conditions in which the chicken is kept such that dunking it in chlorine is the hope (but as it turns out not reality) that it will make the cob chicken edible. You've been told this time and time again yet you continue with your deliberately deceptive statements on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

fash wrote: »
    A wonderful example of a brexiter deliberately misleading statement: the chlorine washed chicken issue is regarding the absolutely horrifyingly filthy conditions in which the chicken is kept such that dunking it in chlorine is the hope (but as it turns out not reality) that it will make the cob chicken edible. You've been told this time and time again yet you continue with your deliberately deceptive statements on this.

Fair point, is there not a higher incidence of food posioning in USA than here?

Also, would the better comparison not be concentration used for salad in EU v USA, not concentration used for salad in EU against chicken in EU?

The chlorine wash still makes the meat safer though and its not as if food from the EU is immune to this. See https://www.dw.com/en/chicken-meat-rife-with-antibiotic-resistant-superbugs/a-48365258

Germanwatch had 59 chicken meat samples from large discount supermarkets analyzed at a university lab and found that 56% were colonized by antibiotic-resistant germs. The meat samples came from the four largest slaughterhouses in Germany. Responding to the study, the Federal Agriculture Ministry said it "suggests that too many antibiotics are used in the poultry industry."

And how many people here have travelled to America and eaten chicken there? It seems a bit hypercritical to accept it there but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes but eating it in itself is not a problem. That's what the remainers tried to make out. At best there is an animal care issue but other than it is nothing like the issue remainers made it out to be. Project fear and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The chlorine wash still makes the meat safer though and its not as if food from the EU is immune to this.
    Safer than what?

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Fair point, is there not a higher incidence of food posioning in USA than here?

Also, would the better comparison not be concentration used for salad in EU v USA, not concentration used for salad in EU against chicken in EU?

No, because the point was that if chlorinated washes themselves are dangerous, why does the EU encourage their use. I might also mention the chlorine in swimming baths and in drinking water.

Safer than what?

Safer than if it was not used on the meat. Context, dear boy.

And how many people here have travelled to America and eaten chicken there? It seems a bit hypercritical to accept it there but not here.

I have. I didn't know any better. It was bland as **** though. All their meat was. One benefit of Brexit is that it has informed me of a lot of things!

First and foremost is that I can trust that the food here is produced to benefit the populace not the bottom line.

Safer than if it was not used on the meat. Context, dear boy.
    That means nothing though. I could say that running it under a tap would make it safer. Still doesn't make it actually safe for human consumption though.
    You're trying to hide the issue with something that amounts to pretty much nothing.
    As for your pretentious "dear boy" quip, don't be so patronising!

• Advertisement

No, because the point was that if chlorinated washes themselves are dangerous, why does the EU encourage their use. I might also mention the chlorine in swimming baths and in drinking water.

I may have misunderstood then. I had taken the point as being the fact the chlroine washes were more ineffective than proper farming practices, and this feeding into incidences of food poisoning.

I hadn't thought chlroine washes were dangerous per se.

It's *why* they are washing the meat in chlorine that is the issue!
    Do you really not get it, despite having it said to you clearly multiple times?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Incidentally it's kinda pitiful to hear the same old remainer arguments on this thread going round in circles ad infinitum.

Would it not be time to wrap up this thread up and start a thread on the UK after Brexit and what it means for the EU and Ireland. That would be more worthwhile I feel. I still think there are some remainers that haven't grasped reality - that Brexit is happening whether you like or not. There is no point in going over old ground and a new thread might focus attention on the future and not the past.

From an experimental point of view Brexit will serve to show how valuable it is to be in a political EU at all. Although I think we already know it's the nation's that are small that benefit the most and the larger economies that benefit the least.

That means nothing though. I could say that running it under a tap would make it safer. Still doesn't make it actually safe for human consumption though.
    You're trying to hide the issue with something that amounts to pretty much nothing.
    As for your pretentious "dear boy" quip, don't be so patronising!

Washing chicken under a tap is discouraged because it spreads the bacteria that probably infect it. It would be chlorine washed though. But ultimately to make sure that it's safe you cook it thoroughly at high temperature all the way through.

It's *why* they are washing the meat in chlorine that is the issue!
    Do you really not get it, despite having it said to you clearly multiple times?

They use it as a safety measure. If it was used in the same way in the EU it would still be a safety measure, so the EU not using it makes the chicken less safe to store and eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Preliminary figures for 2019 Irish goods exports show that Irish goods exports to Britain was 8.865% of overall goods exports of close to €152.6 billion.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gei/goodsexportsandimportsdecember2019/

This compares to about 12.4% in 2015, and represents a fall of 28.5% in the four years since 2015.

This is a huge diversion of trade in such a short space of time, is very likely to continue and probably accelerate this year and after, and shows that Irish exporters have been very successful at finding alternative markets to Britain fairly quickly.

My guess is that it will fall to about 5% by the mid-2020s.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Rain Ascending

I see that there is some kerfuffle around Brandon Lewis's recent statements. My reading is that this is just Lewis trying to ingratiate himself with his new boss by restating said boss's line that there will be no checks on the Irish Sea in an even more extreme manner. After all, his predecessor just got sacked for stating the bleedin' obvious a couple of times last year ("no-deal Brexit is very bad news for Northern Ireland" and "no, we are not going to withhold cooperation on security from the EU").

The real dispute is around the implementation of the NI Protocol in the WA. As ever, Tony Connelly gets to the nub of the matter:
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1228345212541423616

Where will this end?

Well, we could all war-game out disaster scenarios, but this government has form on what happens when political bluster meet legal reality. Remember the Benn Act? Boris Johnson swearing for months on end that he would not request an extension to Article 50. "Downing Street sources" suggesting to journalists wheeze after wheeze to weasel out of said act. Newspapers printing these, senior political correspondents tweeting these as if they had some real basis, without critical appraisal. Legal experts replying that these were all nonsense (remember the "just respond with 'No, Padfield...'" tweets?). And then Johnson meekly changing his red lines, negotiating a new WA that suited the EU better than Theresa May's deal and sending in the extension request in a rather petulant manner.

I don't foresee a different outcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Rain Ascending

Preliminary figures for 2019 Irish goods exports show that Irish goods exports to Britain was 8.865% of overall goods exports of close to €152.6 billion.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gei/goodsexportsandimportsdecember2019/

This compares to about 12.4% in 2015, and represents a fall of 28.5% in the four years since 2015.

This is a huge diversion of trade in such a short space of time, is very likely to continue and probably accelerate this year and after, and shows that Irish exporters have been very successful at finding alternative markets to Britain fairly quickly.

My guess is that it will fall to about 5% by the mid-2020s.

What's more, the CSO are very on the ball here: they've broken out the UK figures into NI and GB components, see Table 4. Exports to NI increased, even as exports to GB decreased.

With the combination of NI's special position with respect to the goods portion of the EU Single Market and the GB's trajectory towards a very hard Brexit trade deal with the EU at the end of 2020, one can only agree with sondagefaux's point that the above trends will only accelerate.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yes but eating it in itself is not a problem. That's what the remainers tried to make out. At best there is an animal care issue but other than it is nothing like the issue remainers made it out to be. Project fear and all that.
    Actually aside from people on both sides getting confused on the issue (or use "chlorine washing" as a short hand description of a more complex argument), the problem is both animal husbandry and the fact that chlorine washing has been proved to be ineffective- even when carried out in accordance with protocol.
    Thus you have three issues:
    1. Animal husbandry,
    2. A process which results in dangerous foodstuffs where chlorine washing doesn't happen for whatever reason of failure in process;
    3. Where food has been chlorine washed but retains the microbes which are consequences of poor animal husbandry.
    Furthermore, Panjandrum's statement that "who cares just cook it" misses the fact that in general raw meat is brought from the fridge to the chopping board to a prep area to the frying pan- all the while potentially dripping and splashing liquid and getting in contact with surfaces.
    In particular at issue is that the number of food poisoning instances including deaths from food poisoning is far greater in the US than in the EU.

Incidentally it's kinda pitiful to hear the same old remainer arguments on this thread going round in circles ad infinitum.
    What pitiful remainer arguments are those? Personally at this stage I just now want to see the UK brought to its ignominious post brexit end state (shorn of Scotland and NI) as quickly and satisfyingly as possible. It's the best antidote to brexiter nonsense - so certainly I have no interest in remainer arguments - I do however have an interest in countering brexiter lies insofar as they seek to spread their lies into the EU and Ireland - that of course needs to be countered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Would it not be time to wrap up this thread up and start a thread on the UK after Brexit and what it means for the EU and Ireland. That would be more worthwhile I feel. I still think there are some remainers that haven't grasped reality - that Brexit is happening whether you like or not. There is no point in going over old ground and a new thread might focus attention on the future and not the past.

From an experimental point of view Brexit will serve to show how valuable it is to be in a political EU at all. Although I think we already know it's the nation's that are small that benefit the most and the larger economies that benefit the least.
    As with Brexit itself, you are free to leave anytime you like :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

I see that there is some kerfuffle around Brandon Lewis's recent statements. My reading is that this is just Lewis trying to ingratiate himself with his new boss by restating said boss's line that there will be no checks on the Irish Sea in an even more extreme manner. After all, his predecessor just got sacked for stating the bleedin' obvious a couple of times last year ("no-deal Brexit is very bad news for Northern Ireland" and "no, we are not going to withhold cooperation on security from the EU").

The real dispute is around the implementation of the NI Protocol in the WA. As ever, Tony Connelly gets to the nub of the matter:
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1228345212541423616

Where will this end?

Well, we could all war-game out disaster scenarios, but this government has form on what happens when political bluster meet legal reality. Remember the Benn Act? Boris Johnson swearing for months on end that he would not request an extension to Article 50. "Downing Street sources" suggesting to journalists wheeze after wheeze to weasel out of said act. Newspapers printing these, senior political correspondents tweeting these as if they had some real basis, without critical appraisal. Legal experts replying that these were all nonsense (remember the "just respond with 'No, Padfield...'" tweets?). And then Johnson meekly changing his red lines, negotiating a new WA that suited the EU better than Theresa May's deal and sending in the extension request in a rather petulant manner.

I don't foresee a different outcome here.

I hope you are correct here.

However up until the most recent election Johnson was in a far more precarious position and couldn't go for an obvious hard exit without risking his position. So he was forced to request another extension simply because going for a hard Brexit at that point could have failed. Now that he has a large majority and has purged the party and cabinet of anyone likely to challenge him, his actions and the statements of his acolytes are (IMO) more representative of his true intentions than they were previously.

The difference now, I think, is that Johnson has got himself in a position where he can play games with the EU, crash out with no deal, and still remain PM for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

He can play all the games he wants but it will be his own head on chopping block once the Brexiteer thicko brigade realise they were conned and Brexit is not done.

Unfortunately that seems unlikely to me. Brexit is more like an end-of-days cult than it is a political movement for many. They are too heavily invested in the idea that the EU is the enemy, and that Britain is being disrespected by nasty foreigners, to question the holy writ being given to them by the tabloids and their PM.

He can play all the games he wants but it will be his own head on chopping block once the Brexiteer thicko brigade realise they were conned and Brexit is not done.
    The con job will be clear to them when the immigrants continue to arrive from outside the EU, then they'll realise that Brexit was not the solution to their issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The con job will be clear to them when the immigrants continue to arrive from outside the EU, then they'll realise that Brexit was not the solution to their issues.

That's the stupidity of them-people will still come but they will have no affinity or allegiance to Europe which should worry people but they seem unable to grasp the implications of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not really. The government will state it is going to do something, and will pick on a few to kick them out.

Some numbers will produced, if higher say that it means a healthy economy and they will send packing within two years.

They will continue to blame the historic legacy of EU migration, and then turn their attention to some other group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

What's more, the CSO are very on the ball here: they've broken out the UK figures into NI and GB components, see Table 4. Exports to NI increased, even as exports to GB decreased.

With the combination of NI's special position with respect to the goods portion of the EU Single Market and the GB's trajectory towards a very hard Brexit trade deal with the EU at the end of 2020, one can only agree with sondagefaux's point that the above trends will only accelerate.

It's part of a much longer trend, with 2019 being the first year that the share of Irish goods exports going to Britain fell below 10% of the total.

EQ0XnQeWsAEdtlc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

That's an interesting post. So you are saying

1) kill this thread because remainers keep bringing up the same old arguments.
    2) You then bring up an old argument yourself .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's clear already.

They are lowering the £30,000 threshold.

HS2: UK in talks with China over construction of high-speed line

The UK will be relying on China for financing nuclear power stations too.

A hostage to fortune.

Doing trade talks with people you owe a lot of money to will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,322 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just to post on more on the excellent work of Julian Smith in his short stay in NI.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/15/pm-sacked-julian-smith-hero-church-abuse-survivors

Set up the abuse redress

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement