Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Brexit hits the church's JIT supply lines:

https://extra.ie/2019/10/27/news/brexit/brexit-shortages-church-bread-supplier

Why not have Jesus deliver them by foot directly from France or Holland - no need for a landbridge at all.
    Extra.ie wrote:
    Double the amount of communion wafers and altar wine have been ordered in advance of Brexit by one of the country’s biggest ecclesiastical suppliers. Tens of millions of individual altar breads are needed by the Irish market each year and are largely imported from Europe, but are predominantly transported via the UK landbridge.

While a number of religious orders also produce millions of altar breads each year, their produce is not enough to cope with demand, as it is estimated that more than six million altar breads are needed for those attending mass in Dublin alone each year.

Speaking with the Irish Mail on Sunday, Desmond Wisley of the ecclesiastical firm of the same name, said that his firm ordered millions of extra supplies of altar bread in advance of the last Brexit deadline of October 31. Whatever challenges Brexit may pose, Mr Wisley is seeking to ensure that Mass, at least, will be Brexit-proof.

‘Every month we get approximately 1.5 million breads in stock. We have doubled the order to three million in case of any delays in transit through the UK.’

In addition, while they usually order two pallets of altar wine a month, they have increased this to four pallets, or 2,280 bottles of wine, which has 15% alcohol content.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

robindch wrote: »
    Brexit hits the church's JIT supply lines:

https://extra.ie/2019/10/27/news/brexit/brexit-shortages-church-bread-supplier
    Originally Posted by Extra.ie
    Double the amount of communion wafers and altar wine have been ordered in advance of Brexit by one of the country’s biggest ecclesiastical suppliers. Tens of millions of individual altar breads are needed by the Irish market each year and are largely imported from Europe, but are predominantly transported via the UK landbridge.

While a number of religious orders also produce millions of altar breads each year, their produce is not enough to cope with demand, as it is estimated that more than six million altar breads are needed for those attending mass in Dublin alone each year.

Speaking with the Irish Mail on Sunday, Desmond Wisley of the ecclesiastical firm of the same name, said that his firm ordered millions of extra supplies of altar bread in advance of the last Brexit deadline of October 31. Whatever challenges Brexit may pose, Mr Wisley is seeking to ensure that Mass, at least, will be Brexit-proof.

‘Every month we get approximately 1.5 million breads in stock. We have doubled the order to three million in case of any delays in transit through the UK.’

In addition, while they usually order two pallets of altar wine a month, they have increased this to four pallets, or 2,280 bottles of wine, which has 15% alcohol content.
    Why not have Jesus deliver them by foot directly from France or Holland - no need for a landbridge at all.

Apart from it being a Daily Mail quote, what they are talking about is one or two lorries a month - hardly important. They can send it directly into Dublin from many ports in mainland Europe and so bypass Brexit Britain.

What a nonsense story.

Apart from it being a Daily Mail quote, what they are talking about is one or two lorries a month - hardly important. They can send it directly into Dublin from many ports in mainland Europe and so bypass Brexit Britain.

What a nonsense story.
    Even more so when you consider that in a post Brexit world, all they need to do is seal the truck to transit GB before going to Dublin via Holyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Nicky Morgan to stand down.
    She took a lot of stick for going in to cabinet. Having said that I thought she'd have gone when the 21 MPs were booted out of the Tory party

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Poor Corbyn, I am annoyed that he seems to be isolated within his own party and he has enabled the Blairites to smeer him and others that they were anti-semetic and racist...How that took hold I find it hard to fathom. Let us hope they can deselect many of the Blairite traitors.

My take is that the establishment through their acolytes in the media , integrity initiative etc have carried on a relentless demonisation of Corbyn as they are terrified of him which puts him in saintly territory as far as I am concern. If all the people I hate hate/fear him so much there must be something good about him. He would get my vote no doubt regardless of his Brexit stance.

My belief is that he / Labour party are trying to ensure that the blame for Brexit will be put on the Tories....Unsure if that is successful especially as i listen too much to the LBC and there is a preponderance of attempts to try and blame labour and specifcally Corbyn for the lack of progress in exiting the EU. They must believe we have no memories it was Teresa's red lines that complicated the issue ....perhaps on purpose. See how Boris's deal is not too far from May's...this is the max that they will be able to sell to the UK's public as an acceptable break from EU which is much worse than the deal they already have.

Unless Boris is a brilliant campainer I think it is Corbyn's to lose. Perhaps the loses labour will have in North England will be balanced by gains in Scotland I think they or the SNP will gain all conservative seats in Scotland

Corbyn terrifies the middle class. They fear him being in charge bar more than Brexit in poll after poll. The man comes across as a spineless idiot who has basically failed at everything he in life he tried. Hell he lost to May in an election ffs. You can’t get any worse than that. And every single poll conducted puts Boris miles ahead of Corbyn.
    All he has to do was campaign on a new referendum to the people and he hasn’t even the balls to do that. Plus he’s even more anti EU than Boris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Blazer wrote: »
    Corbyn terrifies the middle class. They fear him being in charge bar more than Brexit in poll after poll. The man comes across as a spineless idiot who has basically failed at everything he in life he tried. Hell he lost to May in an election ffs. You can’t get any worse than that. And every single poll conducted puts Boris miles ahead of Corbyn.
    All he has to do was campaign on a new referendum to the people and he hasn’t even the balls to do that. Plus he’s even more anti EU than Boris.

+1

I think Corbyn somewhere deep down knows that with the EU around it would hamper any attempt to institute the communism he longs for (and I mean communism, not exaggerating any degree of leftism like americans do)

He's a toxic candidate for labour but he's their best weapon to stay in opposition while the brexit cart trundles on. Similar to FF here with weak MM at the helm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

In fairness Boris has failed on everything so far

His only successes is because the EU is propping him up

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

Twister2 wrote: »
    In fairness Boris has failed on everything so far

His only successes is because the EU is propping him up

I read an article recently, which sadly I cannot find now. But it was by someone who knew Johnson for years, and the gist of it was "Don't underestimate somebody who has achieved every single ambition he has set himself in life."

Granted his first few months have been rocky, but if his short term political ambitions were to get a new deal and a majority you would have to say he is on the right track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

+1

I think Corbyn somewhere deep down knows that with the EU around it would hamper any attempt to institute the communism he longs for (and I mean communism, not exaggerating any degree of leftism like americans do)

He's a toxic candidate for labour but he's their best weapon to stay in opposition while the brexit cart trundles on. Similar to FF here with weak MM at the helm.

As I've said before, the British people are not going back to the 70s. Having said that, I admire Corbyn's integrity and I believe he will put in an outstanding performance in the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The following exposes the naked hypocrisy of the Lib Dems

https://twitter.com/_PaulMonaghan/status/1189622874384011264

• Advertisement

I detest sexism, but the only reason she is leader of that party is because she is a woman. The Lib'Dems jumped on the 'woman as a leader' bandwagon and ended up with an empty vessel who laughingly sees herself as the next PM. They are nothing but hype.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Varta wrote: »
    I detest sexism, but the only reason she is leader of that party is because she is a woman. The Lib'Dems jumped on the 'woman as a leader' bandwagon and ended up with an empty vessel who laughingly sees herself as the next PM. They are nothing but hype.

She must be modelling herself on Eamonn Gilmore - I wonder if she knows how that worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Roanmore wrote: »
    Nicky Morgan to stand down.
    She took a lot of stick for going in to cabinet. Having said that I thought she'd have gone when the 21 MPs were booted out of the Tory party

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1189638740060332032

Dunno how anyone can be a female MP these days if you got options which I assume Morgan has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

From a remainer point of view,the message coming from the Lib-Dems is very encouraging and I believe they will pick up many votes as they did in the euro elections-unless Corbyn sorts his act out I suspect many more here in Britain will vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Rjd2 wrote: »

Dunno how anyone can be a female MP these days if you got options which I assume Morgan has.

this regularly happens to MP's , TD's etc.. of both genders. I don't know why being female in the public eye makes the threats you get newsworthy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I can't be the only person that when they see a pic of Jo Swinson that they scratch their chin and go "oh yeah, that's what she looks like and she's a she".

I don't think it'll be the "mustard wave" some hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

This is one of the reasons why I just can't get on board with Jo Swinson or the Lib Dems. They can be very hypocritical in their views.

This article highlights another example of her hypocrisy over independence. She said her support for a second EU referendum is different to a second independence referendum because the SNP had a 'detailed vision' in their White Paper back in 2014. Yet back then she criticised that exact paper for its 'lack of detail' and said the SNP were asking voters to 'take a leap in the dark'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They had virtually no other decent contenders.

I think that's why she got elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Rjd2 wrote: »

It happens to elected representatives regardless of gender. Might be a better question to ask why these commentators think of women as delicate flowers who need to be protected, because that exactly the sort of person who should never have been near politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bambi wrote: »
    It happens to elected representatives regardless of gender. Might be a better question to ask why these commentators think of women as delicate flowers who need to be protected, because that exactly the sort of person who should never have been near politics.

I'd like to see a quantative and comparative analysis of the volume of abuse these MPs get. Wouldn't be so confident that the women don't get selected for special treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Remember a couple of weeks bsck when all the focus was on mogg and his sprog, some scrote was shadowing Diane Abbott, right in her face, intimidating and abusive. Same with Anna Soubry that time the law got involved. If this kind of bullying happens with male politicians, its either not reported or i just miss it. Its getting way out of hand, social media is a cesspit that needs much better scrutiny imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

While not excusing any of the abuse, surely politicians could leave Twitter if they are getting a lot of abuse daily?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

While not excusing any of the abuse, surely politicians could leave Twitter if they are getting a lot of abuse daily?

Why should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's not just Twitter. In fact Twitter isn't really a problem because you can block and don't have to look at responses anyway. These MPs are getting messages by text, email, letter or just shouted at on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Why should they?

Why not

Its a choice to put yourself out there online

They had virtually no other decent contenders.

I think that's why she got elected.

They had 'no' decent contenders. She was elected because she was female.

She must be modelling herself on Eamonn Gilmore - I wonder if she knows how that worked out.

I wonder if she has commissioned mugs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Twister2 wrote: »
    Why not

Its a choice to put yourself out there online

Nothing wrong with criticism. You put yourself out there you should be prepared to be criticised.

Personal abuse and death threats.

Nah. That's not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Is there any chance of Farage doing some sort of deal with Boris? You have that think if so there would be a big majority with Lib Dems and Labour splitting the remain vote.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

Surely they have a secretary or whatever who filters these out. Or is it a case of the secretary highlighting them for media attention? Regardless, there is a toxic environment over there at the moment and I'm sure no MP feels entirely safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement