Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Germany now sending ventilators to the UK, that will really stick in the throat of brexiteers with the coronavirus
    Not only that, it's the German army providing them.

If I were Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece etc. I would be clinging to the EU for dear life. In the long term, they will want to rebuild their tourist industries.
    If they left the Euro, their replacement currencies would probably devalue by a large percentage, thus making them cheap holiday destinations.

Leaving the Euro will help their tourists industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If they left the Euro, their replacement currencies would probably devalue by a large percentage, thus making them cheap holiday destinations.

Maybe, I doubt if any of those countries will leave the Euro unless forced out. Regardless, staying in the EU would make economic sense especially form a tourism perspective.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And cripple every other one.

Greece for example imports nearly 4 times as much as it exports - €60B vs. €17B

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I was responding to the quote

I would be clinging to the EU for dear life. In the long term, they will want to rebuild their tourist industries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Quin_Dub wrote: »

For industries that are 10%-15% of GDP it seems like a small silver lining to going back to your own currency and devaluing it. Add to that if you increase the importance of tourism to your country and another pandemic hits you are screwed once more and the cycle repeats itself. I don't see how that is sustainable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Only because not enough people would want the replacement currency enough to bring up the value. If it helped it enough it would no longer be so cheap.

Plus you are automatically putting people on a lower wage in terms of euros so stuff like holidays for them will instantly become more expensive because they are not taking in much in euro terms themselves (and if they were it wouldn't be cheap).

I was responding to the quote

Yes, but it was you who switched the discussion from EU to Euro.

Yes, but it was you who switched the discussion from EU to Euro.
    The original "crisis" was about the Euro!

The original "crisis" was about the Euro!

Ah, I meant Coronavirus crisis, Crossed wires!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Enzokk wrote: »
    Secondly, and related somewhat to the first point, they have shut down parliament for almost a month at a time of crises where questions should be asked on the response of the government. But somehow they have gotten away with going into recess early and also not recalling parliament in a time of crises. It amazes me that more is not made of this and if I were an EU immigrant in the UK I would be afraid of what this government will do once Brexit happens and how much they will try to escape scrutiny.
    Ms Patel instead said she would only appear “towards the end of the month”.

This at a time when police have been given temporary powers to enforce the lockdown that's preventing thousands of deaths.

As usual, it's a variation of what's happening in the US. While Trump holds his daily campaign rally in the White House, his administration carries out its hardest of hard-right "reforms" in several different areas - cleansing the country of migrants, clamping down on abortion services, scrapping environmental protection, and - of course - going all out to disenfranchise non-Right-leaning voters.

And yet there are still plenty of Europeans who are quite prepared to chase the American Dream. There'll be just as many Africans, Asians and Middle-Easterns chasing the British Dream regardless of what hurdles and population control measures Johnson&Co. introduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Tourism from Brits as a panacea? I'm sure they're looking at that with all the seriousness that it deserves. Jesus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Again, this thread is about Brexit. Other aspects of the EU can be discussed in another thread if people have any interest in so doing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Germany now sending ventilators to the UK, that will really stick in the throat of brexiteers with the coronavirus

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,330 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

AllForIt wrote: »
    Why?

taking back control blah blah

We dont have to rely on EU blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Headshot wrote: »

they managed to circumvent the EU issue by asking for the ventilators through NATO via the MoD.
    if the ministry of health asked, then it would probably have to have gone through the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Headshot wrote: »

Well I wasn't asking you but I'll respond anyway.

This doesn't make any sense. Was the UK not the EU when it was a member of it?

Now that the UK is not part of the EU, Germany sent them the ventilators anyway.

So the point seems to be an own goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Now that the UK is not part of the EU, Germany sent them the ventilators anyway.

You obviously don't know the story or you know the context and you are looking to stir the pot. The UK was too important to join a EU scheme, but it turns out they really needed that scheme and in the end had to accept a free handout from Germany to try and catch up with their own stupidity. A simple case of ideology over sense really.

You obviously missed it. As usual, Tory blind ideology, incompetence and lies caused unnecessary coronavirus deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

You obviously missed it. As usual, Tory blind ideology, incompetence and lies caused unnecessary coronavirus deaths
    In fairness, blind ideology causing unnecessary deaths is not a uniquely Tory, or even British, thing. Human beings will often put tribe before self, because we are hard-wired to do so.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    In fairness, blind ideology causing unnecessary deaths is not a uniquely Tory, or even British, thing. Human beings will often put tribe before self, because we are hard-wired to do so.

Not as wilfully as this though. Maybe Trump but can't think of very many other western governments as incompetent and disingenuous in this crisis. Certainly none whose failures have been so ideologically driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Not as wilfully as this though. Maybe Trump but can't think of very many other western governments as incompetent and disingenuous in this crisis. Certainly none whose failures have been so ideologically driven.
    The important bit, I think. On the more general point, tribalism has led to many wars and famines, including our own, so I'm never surprised when I see it breaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why?

Remember the 'they need us more than we need them' line?

Patently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Remember the 'they need us more than we need them' line?

Patently not.

But the ventilators are just a sign of the superiority of the UKs position surely?
    So desperate are the Germans (and their car manufacturers) to remain on good terms with the UK that they are giving away their excess ventilators as a sign of good faith.
    They need us more than we need them.
    etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Irish famine is not a suitable topic for this thread. Posts deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Panrich

Johnson was offering big thanks to certain individuals after being released from hospital and mentioned ‘Luis from Portugal’ as one of the nurses who was instrumental in ensuring that he recovered from the Coronavirus.

Will this brush with death be a defining moment for Johnson where he now sees the merit in all European nations working closely together and therefore we may see a different tone to the negotiations from here or will Luis be looking for a new job back in Portugal in 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Panrich wrote: »
    Johnson was offering big thanks to certain individuals after being released from hospital and mentioned ‘Luis from Portugal’ as one of the nurses who was instrumental in ensuring that he recovered from the Coronavirus.

Will this brush with death be a defining moment for Johnson where he now sees the merit in all European nations working closely together and therefore we may see a different tone to the negotiations from here or will Luis be looking for a new job back in Portugal in 2021?

The pure irony of it https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-the-nurses-praised-by-pm-for-standing-at-my-bedside-for-48-hours-11972467

Jenny from New Zealand and Luis from Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not a hope. People that are designed like this man rarely change. Leopards spots etc. He will take advantage of any situation for personal gain until he toddles of this mortal coil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

No. He'll double down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

It might be, he could have just mentioned their names but he seemed to make a point of where both of them are from and remember hes a 'foreigner' himself and deep down isn't a paid up member of the brexiteer wing of his party

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement