Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time Hours

• 26-10-2019 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

I was reading a post over on Voice for Teachers (hence the reason I'm posting here and not there :) ), anyway, there was a post from someone who had been working part time hours with an RPT and were told that the Department had taken back the hours - can this happen? Is there any recourse? What happens the classes this teacher had? Is this a way to prevent a full 22 hour CID? The poster said they had a 6 hour RPT and it was second year. Just curious if anyone has experienced this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's possible that the hours that the teacher had the first year weren't available the second year due to a drop in numbers in the school but the principal just decided to give the hours anyway, got a rap on the knuckles and the hours were cut.

Two years ago my principal dished out 22 hours to several teachers and 6 weeks later they were cut to 14. At the time we couldn't figure out where he was getting all the hours as we didn't have retirements or an increase in student numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

It's possible that the hours that the teacher had the first year weren't available the second year due to a drop in numbers in the school but the principal just decided to give the hours anyway, got a rap on the knuckles and the hours were cut.

Two years ago my principal dished out 22 hours to several teachers and 6 weeks later they were cut to 14. At the time we couldn't figure out where he was getting all the hours as we didn't have retirements or an increase in student numbers.

I'd be more concerned about the CID ... would this make a principal take back hours.

What happened to those hours in your school? What was the result for students? Sitting at the back of other teacher's classes?

Is there anything the union can do? It is very unfair to give teachers full timetables in September and then take them back before the end of term when those teachers could have passed over better contracts elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'd be more concerned about the CID ... would this make a principal take back hours.

What happened to those hours in your school? What was the result for students? Sitting at the back of other teacher's classes?

Is there anything the union can do? It is very unfair to give teachers full timetables in September and then take them back before the end of term when those teachers could have passed over better contracts elsewhere.

It wasn't anything to do with CIDs in my school. It was about promising what he couldn't deliver (a common theme). I presume some of it was resource and resources classes were combined, or a four way split was recombined into three classes. I don't remember the exact details.

Advertisement