Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EIR Fibre 2.4ghz and Smart Devices

• 26-10-2019 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I recently began dipping a toe in smart home tech. Mostly for the novelty factor initially but with an eye on getting more and more devices as I got more up to speed on it. To this end I got a Google home mini and two cheap led bulbs from Amazon. These worked perfectly with my previous broadband providers Mynet. It was painfully slow where we live so I moved to Eir this week. Now my led (Peteme is the brand) bulbs will not work and are telling me they cannot connect to 5ghz broadband.
    Are the Eir Fibre boxes dual band? If so is there any reason why the bulbs seem to only detect the 5ghz band? Eir phone support (hung up after holding for 30 mins) were no help and the web chat support suggested I call phone support!
    I (obviously) am not well up on these things but any suggestions gratefully received. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The F2000 router that they were using is definitely dual-band. Is it this you have?

CREJY1BgyPxYAjrJMrnPeP9i.png

They have begun shipping new routers I believe but I'd be hugely surprised if they were not also dual-band.

On your phone can you see separate names for the 2.4 and 5GHz networks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    My smart blubs are all 2.4GHz only. Are you sure they are able to connect on 5GHz? I had to turn off the 5GHz wireless to get some of mine connected. It actually says that in the smart blub instructions. Once connected you can re-enable the 5GHz wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I have two WiFi names on my phone but only one will connect. When I tap eirwifi it looks like it's trying to connect but defaults back to the upper one.20191026_200850.jpg
    My box looks like this.
    20191026_201018.jpg

My smart bulbs are 2.4ghz also. Eir support chat suggested that temporarily disabling 5hz need some kind of super user access levels that were beyond their control.

I think the issue may be that the 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs are the same. You can do as MBSnr says and turn off 5 or you can rename either the 2.4 or the 5GHz to some different name to avoid this happening again.

cycocycle wrote: »
    I have two WiFi names on my phone but only one will connect. When I tap eirwifi it looks like it's trying to connect but defaults back to the upper one.20191026_200850.jpg
    My box looks like this.
    20191026_201018.jpg

My smart bulbs are 2.4ghz also. Eir support chat suggested that temporarily disabling 5hz need some kind of super user access levels that were beyond their control.

eir_WiFi is something different. You'll need to login to the router. The details should be on the back. That's the new router they are shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Got sorted just there. Not sure how it worked but it involved connecting my phone to the bulbs WiFi hotspot. Thanks for the suggestions.

Advertisement