Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish alternative view to Greta

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I don't think she is using Greta as click bait at all. She shares some similarities, both demographic and national, which allows her to compare their differing views to outsiders.
    She mentions Greta quite a few times in the piece, which disallows it being described as click bait.

It's definitely click bait - look at number of views of videos on her channel and notice what theme is getting her most attention. Her script is a poor copy of the likes of red ice TV who were banned from youtube or Stefan Molyneux. There are clicks in talking about taboo subjects that are suppressed in the mainstream media, not so many as when you mention Greta in the title which I noticed the other people she follows have also done over the past few weeks.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'll bet its not.

She is just another exploited child. You can't attack either of them ...they are children. Its getting ridiculous. Both of them will suffer mentally.

Children should be banned from politics. For their own health.

She's apparently has the 4/5th biggest youtube channel in Sweden with something like 30k + subscribers not even close to the top 3 get the feelings she will find a sudden influx of subscribers all anti greta .

Young voices deserve to be heard

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Spencerfreeman

alastair wrote: »

What was it she said on that podcast that led you to believe that she's an idiot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

A video with only 309 results on Google, which the OP just happens to be tightly clued in to, posting it onto the forum to increase its views (it's literally spammed across a shitload of forums on the Internet - mostly with 0 replies) - smells precisely like the tactics that Libertarian Alt-Righters use to try and popularize their shite.

Is this random YouTube video, from a recently regged poster, even notable enough to have its own thread?

• Advertisement

KyussB wrote: »
    A video with only 309 results on Google, which the OP just happens to be tightly clued in to, posting it onto the forum to increase its views (it's literally spammed across a shitload of forums on the Internet - mostly with 0 replies) - smells precisely like the tactics that Libertarian Alt-Righters use to try and popularize their shite.

Is this random YouTube video, from a recently regged poster, even notable enough to have its own thread?

"welcome, aspersion city next stop!"
    Tightly clued into.
    Libertarian alt right.
    The usual guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Sweden is fcuked,people have been saying it for years.

But sure we are told constantly we should be more like the Swedes, aren't they great at everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

"welcome, aspersion city next stop!"
    Tightly clued into.
    Libertarian alt right.
    The usual guff.
    So you're a rereg then, since you're so familiar with me?

Where, exactly, did you find the video?

KyussB wrote: »
    So you're a rereg then, since you're so familiar with me?

Where, exactly, did you find the video?

Regreg?
    The usual guff.
    I found it on youtube.

It's definitely click bait - look at number of views of videos on her channel and notice what theme is getting her most attention. Her script is a poor copy of the likes of red ice TV who were banned from youtube or Stefan Molyneux. There are clicks in talking about taboo subjects that are suppressed in the mainstream media, not so many as when you mention Greta in the title which I noticed the other people she follows have also done over the past few weeks.
    I don't see any merit in using the number of clicks as proof of click bait.
    I can't watch red ice tv so don't know what you mean. As for the post from Molyneaux he doesn't provide any source for his stats so I don't know what to make of that either.
    As for the people on the page that you linked to, I only recognise one, Sidney Watson and she's not my cup of tea.
    Anyway pointing out other peoples opinions and ascribing them to Jellybean Gen doesn't work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭francois

Sweden is fcuked,people have been saying it for years.
    Sadly Ireland is heading down the exact same path.

Have you been there? Do you speak Swedish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

francois wrote: »

Retarded.

Have you been to mars to know it’s hot? How do you know then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

francois wrote: »

Ja,ja

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Retarded.

Have you been to mars to know it’s hot? How do you know then?
    *pedant aside* Mars is cold. It just looks kinda warm. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Gatling wrote: »
    She's apparently has the 4/5th biggest youtube channel in Sweden with something like 30k + subscribers not even close to the top 3 get the feelings she will find a sudden influx of subscribers all anti greta .

Young voices deserve to be heard

The baby Jane industry within politics certainly DOES NOT deserve to be heard.

Its an adult world for a reason.

The novelty value children carry isn't a tool to be exploited. Its their actual and very real vulnerability.

Anyone brought into the public eye at a young age is messed up more often than not. Throw in the heated environment of people's political beliefs and it gets worse.

Young people don't show the damage all the insults do until later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On her vid; she kicks off with the very reasonable and true notion that many, if not most questions aren't black and white, aren't Yes or No, that God/the Devil is in the details maybes, the grey area. However she then does what any of those who have taken a position as their own and that is frame the maybes coming from that position. She kicks off with Climate change. She frames this as a yes or no question of belief and one is either in or out of the mainstream think depending on one's answer. Eh... nope.

EG I "believe" in climate change. I've read a fair chunk of the literature and the science on it, much of going way back through human history and beyond and not just the 20th century stuff. The climate is changing. Is it fostered by human activities? It's a complex system and there are a number of factors, but human involvement is pretty clear and it's not our first outing on this score. We had successive ice ages rolling one after the other for tens of thousands of years and then they just stopped. We're living in an interglacial, but one that has lasted way longer than previous ones. We cleared the forests for farming and other industry, we burnt wood etc, we changed the environment on a local scale and that impacted the global. The list of civilisations around the world that changed their environment locally is a long one and also a long list are those that had that local change being one of the causes of their demise. I've certainly seen impacts on the Irish ecosystem in my own lifetime, some positive, but mostly negative.

Does this mean I'm in Great Greta Panic Mode awaiting the apocalypse in a decade or two decades time? It does not and I am not. So just because I say yes on climate change does not make me a Greta supporter.

I'm not in favour of modern multiculturalism either. IMHO the jury's in and it brings more issues than it brings good things. Especially for the non-indigenous populations. Go to any European country and look at those at the bottom socially and economically and lo and behold they're more likely to be the non White faces. Sure there are exceptions, but they do more to "prove the rule" . So [insert city A in country B] has a Muslim or Black major, but sure as the sunrise that same [insert city A in country B] poorest areas and people's are more likely to be from his or her demographic. That's before the other social and economic issues this multiculturalism stuff brings.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Wibbs wrote: »
    Does this mean I'm in Great Greta Panic Mode awaiting the apocalypse in a decade or two decades time? It does not and I am not. So just because I say yes on climate change does not make me a Greta supporter.

Well said.

On her vid; she kicks off with the very reasonable and true notion that many, if not most questions aren't black and white, aren't Yes or No, that God/the Devil is in the details maybes, the grey area. However she then does what any of those who have taken a position as their own and that is frame the maybes coming from that position. She kicks off with Climate change. She frames this as a yes or no question of belief and one is either in or out of the mainstream think depending on one's answer. Eh... nope.

EG I "believe" in climate change. I've read a fair chunk of the literature and the science on it, much of going way back through human history and beyond and not just the 20th century stuff. The climate is changing. Is it fostered by human activities? It's a complex system and there are a number of factors, but human involvement is pretty clear and it's not our first outing on this score. We had successive ice ages rolling one after the other for tens of thousands of years and then they just stopped. We're living in an interglacial, but one that has lasted way longer than previous ones. We cleared the forests for farming and other industry, we burnt wood etc, we changed the environment on a local scale and that impacted the global. The list of civilisations around the world that changed their environment locally is a long one and also a long list are those that had that local change being one of the causes of their demise. I've certainly seen impacts on the Irish ecosystem in my own lifetime, some positive, but mostly negative.

I'm not in favour of modern multiculturalism either. IMHO the jury's in and it brings more issues than it brings good things. Especially for the non-indigenous populations. Go to any European country and look at those at the bottom socially and economically and lo and behold they're more likely to be the non White faces. Sure there are exceptions, but they do more to "prove the rule" . So [insert city A in country B] has a Muslim or Black major, but sure as the sunrise that same [insert city A in country B] poorest areas and people's are more likely to be from his or her demographic. That's before the other social and economic issues this multiculturalism stuff brings.

Good post. I mostly agree. I think she's saying that binary positions are artificially created and used to segregate and then ridicule.
    To explain her position she necessarily has to strongly take one side and that appears binary as a consequence.
    I think she's arguing that there is no longer any ground left for the 'maybe's' to be heard.

I'll bet its not.

She is just another exploited child. You can't attack either of them ...they are children. Its getting ridiculous. Both of them will suffer mentally.

Children should be banned from politics. For their own health.

Thanks to the podcast that Alistair linked to, I now know that she's actually 23, much older than i'd thought.
    So no, not an exploited child. I'll still take that bet!

Good post. I mostly agree. I think she's saying that binary positions are artificially created and used to segregate and then ridicule.
    To explain her position she necessarily has to strongly take one side and that appears binary as a consequence.
    I think she's arguing that there is no longer any ground left for the 'maybe's' to be heard.
    I'd love to believe that SF and god knows it's sorely needed as part of the dialogue of late what with all the echo chambers and divisions, but by taking the stronger angle it kinda takes the wind out of it for me. Though I suspect if anyone were to work the grey areas, the middle paths, they'd be largely ignored. And probably are.

• Advertisement

I'd love to believe that SF and god knows it's sorely needed as part of the dialogue of late what with all the echo chambers and divisions, but by taking the stronger angle it kinda takes the wind out of it for me. Though I suspect if anyone were to work the grey areas, the middle paths, they'd be largely ignored. And probably are.

That's the situation here anyway! Such desire to polarise, or as Jellybean may put it, binarise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Social welfare overload...surprised you cant see it!

Oddly enough,todays Irish Independent prominently places a new Family centred piece on Homelessness,and the Authorities lack of concern for those presenting as Homeless.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/living-out-of-hotels-is-affecting-my-childrens-health-mum-of-two-38636313.html

Yet,further reading of the article appears to show the State making constant attempts to cater for the immediate housing need of the complainant.
    Dublin Regional Homeless Executive (DRHE) has arranged for a new hotel placement,
    "I'm high up the housing list but it just feels we are being moved from pillar to post.
    Ms Sheridan told the Irish Independent yesterday that the council had offered her and her family a flat in the north inner city centre but she said this was "not suitable unfortunately" for her family.

She is hopeful that the council will be in a position to assist with a home for her family soon.

A Dublin Regional Homeless Executive spokeswoman said: "The family have taken up the alternative placement offered by DRHE."

There appears to be little media concern,or coverage featuring those families who are simply getting-by on a single wage,or attempting to address their own issues without ANY State support mechanisms being offered or available.

I presume Swedish media do similar pieces to illustrate how their Society is similarly uncaring,corrupt and unfit for purpose,but current Irish Media coverage as exemplified by this Irish Indo piece really does not add anything to reasoned debate.

The recent attempts to get Irish Students to "do a Greta on it" and strike for climate were widely supported by an unquestioning Irish media,who appear now to be largely populated by earnest young graduate Journos each keen to get onside with the "Yoot of today".

I'm not certain that Irish Social Welfare IS overloaded per se,but it's benefits rarely seem available to those who directly fund it's operation.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

"What is really happening in Sweden, Greta?"
    That is the title of this video from 'jellybean Gen.' a Swedish national.
    An alternative female view from Sweden.
    I didn't think such a thing existed until I saw this one.
    Definitely not the way Greta sees it.

You really feel threatened by Greta, huh?

You really feel threatened by Greta, huh?
    Can you clarify what you mean please? I don't have a clue what you're trying to infer.

alastair wrote: »

I was just reminded on another thread about dumped links.
    Care to expand on your claim?

This just in from RT. More bad opinions of the excessive migration into Sweden.
    This is from an ex CEO of Scania.

https://www.rt.com/news/472144-sweden-migrants-website-overflow-war/

Advertisement