Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working a 13 hour shift now,petting paid for 12

• 26-10-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

As above ,where do i stand legally?

Currently working an 8pm to 8am shift.

In the reverse of date of changover company pays for 12 hours when only 11 are worked,but i wasnt working on that occasion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭KaneToad

gambithh wrote: »
    As above ,where do i stand legally?

Currently working an 8pm to 8am shift.

In the reverse of date of changover company pays for 12 hours when only 11 are worked,but i wasnt working on that occasion.

How long do you take for break? 1 hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

Thats a grey area ha,as its a type of control room i work in.
    Very quiet at times ,busy other phone always has to be answered between 2 of us.Breaks can revolve around this.
    But paid for 12 hours ,nothing take off for breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Sorry I'm a bit confused.

You say you work from 8pm to 8am.

You get paid 12 hours for this.

But you believe this is actually 13 hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm a bit confused.

You say you work from 8pm to 8am.

You get paid 12 hours for this.

But you believe this is actually 13 hours?

It is for one night of the year, last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭scotchy

swings and roundabouts.

You'll only have to work 11 hours when the clocks go forward again.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Seriously OP, I wouldn't be making a big deal of this. It's only an hour once a year. And you're posting on boards.ie during your shift so not exactly 100% productive

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

scotchy wrote: »
    swings and roundabouts.

You'll only have to work 11 hours when the clocks go forward again.
    OP said they weren't working that day. Maybe wasn't rostered, maybe hadn't started - but you can't legally say "Sure we'll catch up the other hour in six months' time"

If you worked 13 hours, you're entitled to be paid for 13 hours.

The question then is whether the lunch break was paid, as that would explain the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭scotchy

cdeb wrote: »
    OP said they weren't working that day. Maybe wasn't rostered, maybe hadn't started - but you can't legally say "Sure we'll catch up the other hour in six months' time"

If you worked 13 hours, you're entitled to be paid for 13 hours.

The question then is whether the lunch break was paid, as that would explain the difference.

I've worked this type of shift for years, that is how its handled, you don't get paid extra for the added hour, or less when the clocks go forward. just suck it up.
    I'd be much more worried about the effects on physical and mental health of doing night shifts.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Seriously OP, I wouldn't be making a big deal of this. It's only an hour once a year. And you're posting on boards.ie during your shift so not exactly 100% productive

The company should be paying you for the hours you work. Unless the give you an extra hour for the corresponding shift in spring?

As for posting on boards during his shift, I imagine s/he has some sort of break? If not, that's a whole other story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

It's standard not to be paid for it or docked the hour the other side

• Advertisement

Give NERA a shout so and see if they can help.

13 hours is 13 hours. "Just suck it up" isn't remotely acceptable as an answer here.

I'm assuming here that the OP is paid on an hourly rate btw. If they're on a salary rate, and if minimum wage isn't an issue, then the same base salary would presumably apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You'd think you'd get a bit of a bonus for petting tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

An extra hour after working 12 hours is not easy at all. That extra hour is like a lifetime at the end of a shift.

Although I don't work shift I know that the people who do in my place get paid an extra hour when the clocks go back. But in the reverse the company doesn't deduct pay when the hours go forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

From what you've said your job sounds quite chilled, as you can basically make your own rules (e.g. when to have breaks, etc.) as long as the work gets done, so personally I wouldn't make a fuss about this as it would seem very petty, especially if you're salaried and the company are fair when it works the other way (one less hour of work).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

You could ask management to negotiate the rule and pay 13 now and 11 next March. Am sure your colleagues will back you Up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

cdeb wrote: »
    Give NERA a shout so and see if they can help.

13 hours is 13 hours. "Just suck it up" isn't remotely acceptable as an answer here.

I'm assuming here that the OP is paid on an hourly rate btw. If they're on a salary rate, and if minimum wage isn't an issue, then the same base salary would presumably apply.

Thanks, obviously you have experience of worked a shift.
    Paid Hourly by the way
    Evd-Burner wrote: »
    An extra hour after working 12 hours is not easy at all. That extra hour is like a lifetime at the end of a shift.

Although I don't work shift I know that the people who do in my place get paid an extra hour when the clocks go back. But in the reverse the company doesn't deduct pay when the hours go forward.

That is very reasonable of the employer.
    Masala wrote: »
    You could ask management to negotiate the rule and pay 13 now and 11 next March. Am sure your colleagues will back you Up!!

Also reasonable and possible the best compromise for employee and employer.

As said there is no guarantee i will be on the 11 hour shift and indeed ,next year i could be rostered for the 11 hour and free for the 13

I have no problem been paid for 11 hours when i have only worked 11 hours,but when i work 13 id like to be paid for all 13.

Have experience of paying shift work at least.

If you're paid hourly, you should get paid the extra hour. If you're paid salary, your contact usually states that you are required to work extra hours from time to time.

But you need to clarify lunch hour too. If you worked 13 hours including lunch, it's entirely likely you'd only get paid 12 hours.

Advertisement