Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour can get gigabit, but not me?

• 26-10-2019 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All, wondering if anyone here can tell me why my neighbour, who is literally 150 metres up the road can get gigabit broadband with eir and Vodafone/siro, but I cannot get any broadband whatsoever, except three which I have been with forever, and as much as I love the ~1Mb down speeds 😂 I'm really getting fed up with it now, it is unusable. I find it so hard to believe I could lnt even get basic broadband around 24Mb, when a house practically across the road can get gigabit, can anyone explain this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Just be certain have you checked your Eircode here:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

If FTTH is not available it's likely that you are unfortunately just outside the coverage. As the CEO of eir said they had to stop somewhere as they only had a fixed amount of money. That is not much consolation for you though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So the gigabit is probably travelling along inside a cable with fibre inside it.

The cable probably gets to your neighbours house if they get the gigabit.

Might be that the cable doesn't get to your house. 150 meters isn't that much cable...

Sometimes the cable goes to a curbside cabinet box and cables (fibre to the cabinet/curb) and cables with copper run to the houses
    Sometimes the cable goes to directly to the houses (fibre to the home)

Sounds like either they:
    - didn't bring the cable directly to your house. maybe they'll eventually will.
    - didn't run a cable from the cabinet to your house. maybe they eventually will.
    - your house is too far from the cabinet to run a cable. maybe they'll eventually expand.
    - the current cable to your house from the cabinet is too old and can't do gigabit. maybe they'll replace the cable... either eventually or after the current one breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Slydice wrote: »
    Sounds like either they:
    - didn't bring the cable directly to your house. maybe they'll eventually will.
    - didn't run a cable from the cabinet to your house. maybe they eventually will.
    - your house is too far from the cabinet to run a cable. maybe they'll eventually expand.
    - the current cable to your house from the cabinet is too old and can't do gigabit. maybe they'll replace the cable... either eventually or after the current one breaks.

Points 2-4 are irrelevant to a Fibre to the Home connection which is the only way to get gigabit at present. They dont come from the cabinets, they bring a fibre optic cable all the way into your house from a fibre distribution point (can be on the poles or sometimes underground).

Point 2 is that they have a fibre cabinet that doesn't have the last bit of fibre coming in to the house.
    Point 4 is that they have a fibre cabinet that doesn't have the last bit of fibre coming in to the house but does have some dodgy old copper or something.

How are they irrelevant?

So after googling a bit, is it right to say that they run fibre to cabinets but don't use them as distribution points?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Slydice wrote: »
    So after googling a bit, is it right to say that they run fibre to cabinets but don't use them as distribution points?

Generally no they don't at least not in rural areas and the vast majority of questions about FTTH with eir are relating to rural areas as that is where the majority of eir's FTTH footprint currently is. Cabinets don't usually come into such questions as there are very few cabinets in rural areas in the first place.

Advertisement