Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New york and Orlando

Options
  • 27-10-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all, soon to be in New York and then Orlando, some questions regarding Uber...

1.Can I get an Uber from newark airport?

2.Do they except luggage?

3.I plan on setting up the account using PayPal as payment, do I have to log into account to pay?
    (really don't know how it works with payment?)

4.I don't want to get a sim card while in the states (don't want the hassle) just want to use the free WiFi available where I am, is it possible just to use uber this way? I'm assuming it is?

Any help very appreciated, tks ðŸ˜

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

On the last one. Nope. You could not rely on WiFi to use Uber. Have you not got roaming with your mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Yes, you can get an Uber from Newark. I did it in March, however the first car that came was falling apart and wanted us to get into the car while he put the bags in the boot. I insisted on waiting and his boot was literally piled high with crap and there was no way the bags would fit. He let us cancel with no charge and then we just ordered another one and that was fine.
    The pick up is just outside the terminal doors so in theory you could use Wifi but it can be hit and miss if you get a signal.

You can use PayPal and you don’t need to do anything to action payment other than initiate a booking. You will be asked for a tip but that could be done on hotel WiFi.

In Orlando we usually rent a car but both Uber and Lyft are very prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Buy a £20 Three UK pay as you go SIM.

You can get it through Amazon or some of the Irish retailers (mobilefun I think?)

Pop it in your phone (assuming it's unlocked), and you'll be able to roam on 4G for your whole trip.

Think Bargain Alerts forum has a thread on it. Should cost 30euro or so and 3 UK has free roaming.

I did it recently for 10 days in the states and didn't come close to using up all the credit. Heading over again next week and will use it again without having to top up once

Also definitely look into renting a car. Dirt cheap over there and would likely work out better than all the uber's you'd use. You can use your 3 SIM for navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Newark Airport has free wifi - but I find the Uber network can be hit and miss at Airports. you could buy a cheap phone for use in the US - $20 in Walmart.

All Uber *accept* luggage. Not sure if you can set up an account with PayPal but I'm sure the payment details will be on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Yes, you can get an Uber from Newark. I did it in March, however the first car that came was falling apart and wanted us to get into the car while he put the bags in the boot. I insisted on waiting and his boot was literally piled high with crap and there was no way the bags would fit. He let us cancel with no charge and then we just ordered another one and that was fine.

Just on this, Uber in New York is regulated by the T&L commission. All drivers have to pass a special driving test and cars have to meet a minimum standard. That’s why most Uber’s in New York are new Toyota Camrys.

In New Jersey this is not the case. Anyone can be an Uber driver and use any jalopy to pick you up in. It’s very hit and miss. You might get lucky and get a New York based Uber heading back to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I used MostSim (bought off Amazon) to get a US number for my recent visit. You get unlimited data and calls/texts for a set limit of time. I had the 7 day package (came to €30 when postage included). I then registered the US number I was given with Uber and Lyft.

The only downside was I was getting multiple scam calls (all allegedly originating from Tampa) every day.

Advertisement