Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do sika stags ever charge at people?

Options
  • 27-10-2019 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

The rut is now in full swing where I am(seems late this year). I came across two stags last night when out walking the dog, the first one was very slow to move on but eventually hopped off, he was on a forest track where I was going. The second one (as good as I’ve ever seen) was the same but eventually moved on to.

Anyway be interested to know has anyone know first hand of a stag charging at someone is Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The rut is now in full swing where I am(seems late this year). I came across two stags last night when out walking the dog, the first one was very slow to move on but eventually hopped off, he was on a forest track where I was going. The second one (as good as I’ve ever seen) was the same but eventually moved on to.

Anyway be interested to know has anyone know first hand of a stag charging at someone is Ireland?

I have heard of lads bringing a small round stone with them to warn off attacking stags.
    Has to be round. It’s their natural enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I have heard of lads bringing a small round stone with them to warn off attacking stags.
    Has to be round. It’s their natural enemy

Small round piece of lead works better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I've come upon a serious amount of deer in recent times driving along the Sally Gap. They are very slow to move out of the road. Almost as if they are well used to cars and have no fear of them. I must have seen 20 or more out on the road on one spin alone.

There was a time when it was super rare to see them, and even then you would want to be deep in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

An ESB surveyor was attacked by a stag last year AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

pablo128 wrote: »
    I've come upon a serious amount of deer in recent times driving along the Sally Gap. They are very slow to move out of the road. Almost as if they are well used to cars and have no fear of them. I must have seen 20 or more out on the road on one spin alone.

There was a time when it was super rare to see them, and even then you would want to be deep in the mountains.

I come across a fair few deer where I am but they normally take off double quick when they see the dog but those two stags looked like they were thinking of having a go, I guess it was the rut and around dusk but they seemed a bit more aggressive than usual, even during the rut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Man attacked by stag....it's a Red Deer stag......no idea if Sika are as defensive during rut

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/never-get-stuck-between-a-lusty-stag-and-his-harem-1.758628

A stag got arrested in the phoenix park back in 94
    Wasn't a Sika though,it was an Emmet !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Annnd That is a good reason boys&girls to test for a blink reflex on your downed animal[tap them on the eye with the rifle barrel tip,if they are dead,they wont blink] and to approach with a loaded gun and you expecting the deer to get up again from the rear.Its also the reason some hunters carry a handgun ,if the animal is in deep brush,or a ditch....But thats another days work here.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BuckDan

Yes sika fallow and red stags will charge at people , i was out this year on a fallow lease and was setting up for taking a pricket and out of the corner of my eye i spotted movement to see a master fallow buck taking charge for me as he had got me scent , didnt kniw he was their but got the rifle on him in time to knock him 60 yards from me , he had a neck on him like a charlie bull , the rutt is a dangerious time for every one who are in the open in areas with deer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 AICS.300WINMAG

Ya they would. Had a day when a big red stag walk up behind me when I was flat on the ground lookin down range and by .God. I just heard him when he was 15 foot behind me and to my left side of the gun I look at him. He put his head down to me. Roaring his brains out to me turn and busted to the cover long side of me I was numb on the ground never again would I like for da to happen me again.so look behind u just as much as ur lookin down range.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

I never had a situation like this in my 50 years of stalking, but it is good to make people aware. thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Don't fancy it when the tables are turned guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

FirstIn wrote: »

Yawn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Are you joking, it makes me feel even more alive ...... BANG

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭kunekunesika

Out on Thursday evening with the young lad when we spotted a sika stag at about 100m. Weren't able to take the shot so moved in closer. Set up the sticks and got cross hair on him. He then started to move away from us out of the field. Lost sight and while searching the young lad let out a string of expletives, followed by shot dad shot. Zeroed in on the sound of the Charge and dropped him. Came to rest less than 20m of us??? Never felt so alive.
    We didn't call him, he just charged on the little bit of noise we were making.
    So no question, they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Had one Sika stag i crept in on, shot to heart/lungs. He ran but straight at me till I roared at him and he turned before he dropped.

Same fella came out of a gap where i had been only 2 mins prior. I had spotted another stag in the open and moved for him. This lad then appeared behind me and stared straight at me before ignoring me to stare at the stag i had initially spotted. Looked like he wasnt bothered by a person or the scent.

It seems in the rut(calls all over the area) they are soley focussed on fighting and the ride... Like 3am for fellas on Harcourt St where you could equally be charged at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I've had Sika stags fully revved up looking for a tussle but when they eventually come in and realise / see / smell a human they are off at full tilt. Had one last year come in from quite a distance, I lost sight of him in gorse and when he finally poked his head out and I tried to line up on him he charged across the open ground and over the bank I was leaning on. He caught sight of me mid flight and managed a u turn nearly in the air and was gone in seconds.
    I think if you are between them and escape then you are in danger of getting a smack the same as any other animal, live stock and even seals (that's another story).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Naw! Makes it more fun! Esp when you have to get in up close & personal and engage with a knife!:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement