Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood preservative for pressure treated for rail & fencepicket

Options
  • 27-10-2019 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of preservative for the above? Something that will last 3-5 years.
    I see the dark oily stuff on various fences but I don't know the name of it.

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

bunderoon wrote: »
    Hey.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of preservative for the above? Something that will last 3-5 years.
    I see the dark oily stuff on various fences but I don't know the name of it.

Thanks in advanced.

creosote is probably what your seeing it will last 5 years handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's no point in treating it because it will rot at the posts just under the soil.

Plus, creosote is illegal for residential use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You can try looking for creocote instead...that is legal and works nearly just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Lumen wrote: »
    There's no point in treating it because it will rot at the posts just under the soil.

Plus, creosote is illegal for residential use.

This fence isnt up yet and will actually be going on to a bondary fence that has concrete posts. They will rest just above the ground - so no soil contact.

As the person above said, I think I will look at Crecote

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement