Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software engineering director salary

• 27-10-2019 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Does anyone know what kind of salary an engineering director managing an org of circa 50 people would be making these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Depends on the company, €70k-€500k depending on the industry, job, experience, negotiation skills etc. Could be pushing towards €1m in something like machine learning, self driving cars, ai, advanced cloud work, automated trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

What companies in Dublin pay 500K for managing 50 people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

SIG, Qualtrics, Amazon, Google, possibly Deloitte (they change their customers well over €500k, I don't know what the guys get paid) Possibly Facebook, not sure.

It's not the people management you get paid for it's the tech stack and project management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭skallywag

M256 wrote: »
    What companies in Dublin pay 500K for managing 50 people?

A salary of 500K for an Engineering Manager of a team of 50, where do I sign up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I would think in the 150-200k range for a big multinational in Dublin is more realistic. Definitely more in London or the US. You'd need huge amount of technical and people management experience to have any hope of even being considered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You'd need huge amount of technical and people management experience to have any hope of even being considered

For an engineering director role? I don't think so, although obviously those traits help.

Generally in MNC there are levels of these sorts of roles.

For example, director in the office in Dublin.

Then some director over that person.

Then another director over that person in another country.

Then another director over that person in another country.

Then the CTO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If its an American company €100 > €160k and non American €120 > €180. American companies tend to equate directors at the same level as Senior Management for European companies.

You would also normally get a good chunk of restricted shares (golden handcuffs) that mature over a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Yes I would certainly think well over 100k.

Why would you bother taking this role for less? You can easily make 80k+ as a senior engineer, so why add the additional stress and time away from family unless you're going to earn significantly more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭skallywag

My guess based on what the OP has said would be a base salary of 100-120K, tending to the higher end if the position is in Dublin.

That's assuming it is a team of, say, *typical* developers, with some project/program managers also within the hierarchy.

There would then usually be a performance based bonus which could be up to say another 30-40K, based on various metrics. There could of course be a metric in there that can bring it crashing down to zero, I have had painful experience of this in the past.

The title 'Director of ...' gets bandied around quite easily these days, and can sometimes give the impression that the position is grander than it actually is. Some people will see the word 'Director' and assume a position which includes a seat on the EB, etc, whereas the real meaning is more 'Head of Development' etc.

Krissovo's point about stock options which mature over a period (typically say over 5 years with 20% been given per year) is also very valid in my own experience. In the case that the company has already floated then this is generally a nice payout, assuming that the stock value stays stable. Stock Options in a company that has not gone IPO yet are a different animal, that can either end up spectacularly great or with a big fat zero, you ride your luck.

Advertisement