Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of new cassette and chain for old mountain bike

Options
  • 27-10-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭

I have a run around bike that's is very old. The chain is skipping so I think both the chain and cassette needs replacing.I was just wondering how much would I expect to pay for it. The gear shifter for the rear derailer is broken aswell so I was thinking if it will cost a lot to replace and fix all 3 I might be better off just buying another 2nd hand runaround mountain bike. How much do you think it would cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Without knowing what the current equipment is on the bike it's impossible to know.
    I presume you would be getting it all done at a bike shop, so would be safe to budget €100 easily for parts and labour. Bike mechanic will probably spot other work that need doing also.
    Of course you could buy another bike, but it's better really to keep old stuff repaired and running. (Environmental reasons)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

a 7 speed cassette ~15
    chain ~10
    Shifter ~20

From Chainreactioncycles

be worth changing the gear cable also, another 5er or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

a 7 speed cassette ~15 chain ~10 Shifter ~20

I think the OP will be heading to a bike shop to get the work done, therefore labour will come into it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

a 7 speed cassette ~15
    chain ~10
    Shifter ~20

From Chainreactioncycles

be worth changing the gear cable also, another 5er or so

Done up an old m-trax mtb recently and this is roughly what I planned to spend....but then the wheels looked a bit grubby, tyres obviously as well. New cables, blocks, grips...about €250 in the end. Then metal polish, turtle wax and a whole lot of elbow grease. Money and time well spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've a 26yr old steel MTB I was using for commuting. Had it since new. It needs chain, bottom bracket, cassette. But can't find a bike shop to do it. None think its worth it.
    It has a quill stem, and I really like a bike with a more upright position. I'm thinking its time to move on.
    A year or so ago, I bought one of the kids a basic Carrera MTB for school was about 200 new. I regret not buying one for myself. It pretty much new version of what I have. Far less effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

beauf wrote: »
    ...None think its worth it....

Bizarre attitude on the part of the LBS - if most of the bike is in good nick and you like it, then yes, it's worth it, and as gman2k said for environmental reasons as well. I've a 20+ year old rigid MTB which while it doesn't see much use these days it does occasionally get trotted out. It needed a bottom bracket a few years ago, and while I got a similar attitude from one shop, another lad (more local as well) took it on and despite the BB being seized got it sorted. While I do most of my own maintenance in general, no prizes for guessing where I go for the stuff I'm not willing to tackle.

Advertisement