Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isis terrorists connected to Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I'm sure you are right it is more likely if there's a face to face element (real life contacts involved), but there have (I think) been instances of people being drawn into this via online channels - turning sympathisers into people who will actually take action of some sort.
    In this case, they came from different parts of the world at different times, but both travelled (together) on a bus from Galway, on their way out, to the airport.
    Both studied at National University of Ireland Galway and are believed to have become radicalised 'while in the city'
    I.e. Not while (individually) 'browsing utube' or somesuch.

The Times also reports:
    ...both were members of NUIG Muslim Youth Society
    Perhaps folks over in the very safe, and 1st world state of Malaysia, are now asking themselves is Galway really a safe place, to pay to send their clever student(s) who should really have had bright careers and futures ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Any comment from Joe Loughnane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Mad stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Romania used to have an abundance of doctors on a salary of something like 200 euro a week. Our red tape meant we brought in about zero of them. Romania no longer has an abundance of underpaid doctors to bring here as they all moved to the UK to become very well paid doctors.

Slight tangent but the point is we could alleviate a lot of pressure on our medical services by bringing in more foreign doctors. Xenophobia is expensive to apply there.

I guess they were a but sheltered and rich and not being treated with the sort of respect they might have felt was their due. I'm sure doctors are targeted for recruitment by ISIS. Not defending them just imagining how it might have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Romania used to have an abundance of doctors on a salary of something like 200 euro a week. Our red tape meant we brought in about zero of them. Romania no longer has an abundance of underpaid doctors to bring here as they all moved to the UK to become very well paid doctors.

Slight tangent but the point is we could alleviate a lot of pressure on our medical services by bringing in more foreign doctors. Xenophobia is expensive to apply there.

I guess they were a but sheltered and rich and not being treated with the sort of respect they might have felt was their due. I'm sure doctors are targeted for recruitment by ISIS. Not defending them just imagining how it might have happened.

Sure why get European doctors when you can get Sudanese

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/doctor-guilty-of-professional-misconduct-over-registration-1.2744891

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/judge-concerned-at-how-struck-off-doctor-got-work-1.2834459
    The president of the High Court has expressed concern about how a doctor who mistook an ankle for an elbow in an X-ray could have been employed in three Irish hospitals.

Mr Justice Peter Kelly made the remark when dismissing an appeal by Dr Omar Hassan Khalafalla Mohamed (30) against being struck off the medical register for professional misconduct and poor professional performance.

Describing Dr Hassan as having “sub-standard medical knowledge”, the judge said he could not understand how the doctor found himself on the medical register in the first place, apart from the fact he obtained appointments in three different hospitals.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Xenophobia is expensive to apply there.

If you cant deal with a little "wacism" then you shouldnt be practicing medicine. Imagine how you would deal with a gunshot wound, junkies, meth heads, telling a mother and father their child has just died or someone that they have HIV. Medicine is no place for the meek of heart.

Advertisement