Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Polytunnel Plastic

Options
  • 27-10-2019 9:48pm

Ive had my poytunnel for 2 summers now. The plastic has become really green and today in the sun I noticed that it was actually dried onto the plastic.
    The polytunnel is almost 3m high at its highest point.

How do people clean this off?

Is it possible to prevent the greening in the first place?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are there overhanging trees?
    wait until it's rained a bit, and use a soft bristled brush to scrub the plastic, hose it off.

are there overhanging trees?
    wait until it's rained a bit, and use a soft bristled brush to scrub the plastic, hose it off.

There are trees nearby but they are not overhanging.

Been googling and came across this stuff....

https://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/spare-accessoriesDetail/algon-polythene-cleaner

Id be interested to hear if anyone has used it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Brush and hose work well.

You can also "floss" it.
    Tie rope to each side of an old sheet soaked in water and place it on top of the tunnel.Then with one person on each side pulling on the ropes work your way along the length of tunnel.

If there are trees close by it will get green again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a fun job to do on a hot summers day not a cold winters one.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

TheTorment wrote: »
    Id be interested to hear if anyone has used it before.

I have used it but the tunnel I used it on has some trees overhanging it helped but its not totally removed. I think it could be sap that was left over because it cleared the doors.

Will be using it on another tunnel in the next few weeks depending on the weather.

It does a perfect job on footpaths and patios if thats any help to you.

• Advertisement

Ive 20litres on the way from Amazon but its not due to arrive till next week. Ill report back after Ive used it.

Advertisement