Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do YOU deal with Muppetry on the road?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

kenmm wrote: »
    Since the thread is "how to deal with.."

I think trying to deliberately antagonise someone after a display of muppetry is more likely to cause an accident.

The muppet in this case (driven mad or being wound up with slow clap, laughter, sneering etc) is just going to double their muppet efforts (due to being pissed off) on the next junction with some other poor fecker.

Well put.

As the thread has gone on it seems we have two distinct groups of problem drivers.
    1- The original muppets who are bad drivers.
    2- The secondary muppets who want to put manners on them.

If you see a particularly egregious incident of bad driving report it to AGS.
    If it's just a bit of poor road craft ignore it and get on with your journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Dont get me wrong, I've done plenty slow claps (and other hand gestures), shouting and feck knows what else over the years, but to what use?

A slight bit of self satisfaction? Its fleeting and doesnt actually fix anything.

Someone else pointed out before - not all muppetry is out and out stupid behaviour - someone could have made a genuine mistake or be dealing with a death or family issues or god knows what. But then no one on this thread ever makes mistakes, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

elperello wrote: »
    Well put.

As the thread has gone on it seems we have two distinct groups of problem drivers.
    1- The original muppets who are bad drivers.
    2- The secondary muppets who want to put manners on them.

If you see a particularly egregious incident of bad driving report it to AGS.
    If it's just a bit of poor road craft ignore it and get on with your journey.
    Well said.

Most of the posters to this thread really need to reflect on their own behaviour on the road. With the amount of muppetry I have to deal with every day at work, I really enjoy getting into my car or on my bike for a bit of relaxation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Perhaps it comes with getting older, but muppetry on the road doesn't bother me anymore. I was driving into Dublin Saturday evening on the M4 when a guy in a white Ford RS Focus decided to undertake everyone by using the hard shoulder as both lanes of the motorway weren't going fast enough for him. He nearly sideswiped a car coming down the on ramp at the Leixlip/Celbridge interchange. Despite his mad attempt to get someplace fast, I (who was driving within the speed limit) pulled up beside him at the Con Colbert Road/SCR interchange. So his mad rush to get someplace didn't actually work for him. Hope he calms down soon before he becomes another statistic. I got to where I was going nice and relaxed, while I'd say his heart rate/blood pressure were elevated from his shananigans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

D13exile wrote: »
    Perhaps it comes with getting older, but muppetry on the road doesn't bother me anymore. I was driving into Dublin Saturday evening on the M4 when a guy in a white Ford RS Focus decided to undertake everyone by using the hard shoulder as both lanes of the motorway weren't going fast enough for him. He nearly sideswiped a car coming down the on ramp at the Leixlip/Celbridge interchange. Despite his mad attempt to get someplace fast, I (who was driving within the speed limit) pulled up beside him at the Con Colbert Road/SCR interchange. So his mad rush to get someplace didn't actually work for him. Hope he calms down soon before he becomes another statistic. I got to where I was going nice and relaxed, while I'd say his heart rate/blood pressure were elevated from his shananigans

Report it. He will walk away but end up killing others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Since the thread is "how to deal with.."

I think trying to deliberately antagonise someone after a display of muppetry is more likely to cause an accident.

The muppet in this case (driven mad or being wound up with slow clap, laughter, sneering etc) is just going to double their muppet efforts (due to being pissed off) on the next junction with some other poor fecker.

I joked about wanting to do a slow clap. I've never actually done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Report it. He will walk away but end up killing others.

I have no faith that AGS would do anything about it. How much traffic enforcement do you see on the roads. apart from the "flash for cash" vans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I joked about wanting to do a slow clap. I've never actually done it.

ye - but others (including me!) on this thread have admitted to it

"...Act like a moron get treated like one, a lovely slow clap to show she was in the wrong certainly made my day.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have no faith that AGS would do anything about it. How much traffic enforcement do you see on the roads. apart from the "flash for cash" vans?

It's actually mostly quite good when contacting traffic watch....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Dont get me wrong, I've done plenty slow claps (and other hand gestures), shouting and feck knows what else over the years, but to what use?

A slight bit of self satisfaction? Its fleeting and doesnt actually fix anything.

Someone else pointed out before - not all muppetry is out and out stupid behaviour - someone could have made a genuine mistake or be dealing with a death or family issues or god knows what. But then no one on this thread ever makes mistakes, right?

Had an Audi driver give me the slow clap after he tried and failed to cut me off at some lights. He pulled into the right only lane.
    I just gave him a little bow to say thank you.

It didn't really help the situation, but was funny when he tried again to cut me off again (by illegally going straight) and failed. He ended up using the bus lane to pass on the left. Ah well, at least he got where he needs to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Unfortunately, that's now a common occurrence on the M4.
    As soon as there's a hint of a brake light or traffic is moving slowly, people start zipping up the hard shoulder to get to their exit, like it's an extra lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

McCrack wrote: »
    It seems you lack maturity on the road

Re the lane keep left unless overtaking, by your own admission you were going straight at the next junction and she was turning right so yes you should have kept left and she would have passed you on the right and would have saved you doing the retard clap

That keep left doesn't apply to urban driving where you have large numbers of intersections.

Advertisement